Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Smile Portland Skoolie: Thomas 40' with 8.3L Cummins

We are selling our 40' Thomas School Bus "Skoolie." It was fully gutted, insulated, and converted to an off-grid RV or Tiny Home on wheels in January 2017. It is a Rear Engine 8.3L Cummins 6CTA Diesel with Allison 3060 Transmission with 6th Overdrive gear unlocked. Normally a bus is limited in top speed and this is an expensive modification, so you can now cruise at 70mph. Holset turbocharger. This bus has tons of power! Mileage is only around 200k, and was rebuilt 20k miles ago. Alternator and bus batteries were replaced May 2018. Tires have good tread left, air brakes work great, and you are welcome to test drive.

Interior: Everything was purchased or built in 2017. King size bedframe in rear with plenty of storage. Bunk beds on driver side, Full toilet, shower and bath on passenger side. On-demand water heater sends HOT water to shower and kitchen. Kitchen sink and cabinets are custom from IKEA. Full size refrigerator. Ceramic tile platform for wood stove. One log in the winter can bring temps to 90 degrees inside. Very large desk/workstation with storage. Room for full-size couch. About one dozen 110V wall outlets throughout the bus.

Under the bus: Tons of storage! Rear engine buses have the most storage. 50 gal freshwater tank + water pump and PEX piping. You can fill with any garden hose connection. 50 gal gray water and 30 gal black water with electric macerator for easy dumping. 3000w Interter and 60amp charger for 12v house battery bank. Also includes 20amp connector so you can plug into a generator or shore power at a camp site. You can be off grid for days or weeks depending on your water and power usage.

Exterior: one switch turns on 3 LED light bars that illuminate around the bus, turning night into day. The stop sign and lettering been removed (OR law) and is currently painted primer with a white roof to help keep cool in the summer. Motion activated light by door. Hammock/rope ties-downs, 2 roof hatches, and mirrors/windows/lights in great shape. 100 gal fuel tank means you could drive to southern CA on one tank.

What it needs: expired WA plates, has a dent in the back from backing into a tree, and needs final paint job.

We lived in this bus for about 7 months, and is now cleaned out and ready for a new family. Everything is built by an experienced contractor. It's road-trip and festival ready, or use it as an RV or home. It's about 320 sq ft, so much more than a typical tiny home that has to be trailered around.

Price is a very reasonable $6200. We also have a gas generator for another $200. Currently parked in Wilsonville, OR just south of Portland. This is also listed on craigslist.

LRScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Pictures or a link to the CL and would be helpful.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

LRScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...607776078.html

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:22 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I ma going to guest no air conditioning?

Is the generator mounted inside the rv or do you have to remove it to run it?
DarkBladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

LRScout, I've got a voicemail in to you at the number listed on the CL ad. I'm interested. Please get a hold of me. I'll PM you my phone number. - Dan Fox
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

A swing and a miss. I tried to get hold of the original poster and got no response. This AM the CL ad has been taken down. Oh, well. I didn't figure this one to last for too long, what with the 6th unlocked and all.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Also tried to contact and noticed the CL listing was down this morning.

If the current sale does fall through, please contact. My husband and I and our two kids are searching for a converted bus just like this one and are in the area.
mamacass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacass View Post
Also tried to contact and noticed the CL listing was down this morning.

If the current sale does fall through, please contact. My husband and I and our two kids are searching for a converted bus just like this one and are in the area.
You got me beat; I'm on the East Coast. I did tell him I'd meet his price if he could document his claims, but that didn't seem to cut it.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #10

Pictures

Hi, I am very interinterested in your bus! Do you have pictures I can see?!
Taralyn5989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison, cummins, oregon, portland, skoolie