Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Price Check

Hi all! Need help with a price check if y'all don't mind. I'm looking at a 36' 1996 Amtran Genesis (flat nose front engine in case they all aren't with 32'ish of usable internal space), DT466 all mechanical engine (starts very, very quickly and runs smooth), AT545 transmission, 138k miles, 4.44 rear axle, DOT 2813 tires in good condition. Decommissioned from a KY school system recently, still yellow with all seats inside, has all papers and maintenance records. Minimal rust, looks like undercarriage was painted, everything seems to work except the rearmost heater doesn't blow hot air and the fan makes a weird noise when you turn it on.

What is the fair price/going rate for a bus like this?

bamudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamudd View Post
Hi all! Need help with a price check if y'all don't mind. I'm looking at a 36' 1996 Amtran Genesis (flat nose front engine in case they all aren't with 32'ish of usable internal space), DT466 all mechanical engine (starts very, very quickly and runs smooth), AT545 transmission, 138k miles, 4.44 rear axle, DOT 2813 tires in good condition. Decommissioned from a KY school system recently, still yellow with all seats inside, has all papers and maintenance records. Minimal rust, looks like undercarriage was painted, everything seems to work except the rearmost heater doesn't blow hot air and the fan makes a weird noise when you turn it on.

What is the fair price/going rate for a bus like this?
Sounds similar to my bus from KY. I'd say roughly 2-3 grand.
They're good buses. I love mine.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Guy wants 3 grand, down from 3.5, claims that's about what he paid the school for it but I don't know if he's telling the truth. Should I try to go lower? Or is that a fair offer?
bamudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Sounds just a little bit high to me but not unreasonably so. If the tranny was MT643 then 3k would be a good price, but not with the 545. But having all the maintenance records is a big plus. Overall from what you've said, it sounds like the pluses outweigh the minuses.

I'd say offer him 2500 and see where it goes from there. If he's willing to bargain I'd be willing to bet you can get it down to 2700-2800 range.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote