Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2018, 03:09 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Priced right?

Hi enthusiasts. I need some help!

I'm going to go look at a 1964 GMC 4106, 8V71 Detroit with Allison V-730 automatic transmission,jake brake,2 solar panels,2 domestic AC units,18 foot awning,100 gallon fresh water,100 gallon black/grey 29900. He said it has a newer motor with maybe 40k miles. He said the front and back are aluminum and there is a little rust starting on both front and back caps? Now, as you can probably tell, I don't know what to really ask or look for but we'll go check it out in person and obviously have a diesel mechanic take a look at it for us if we pull the trigger on this. What we like is that it's close for a change and somewhat in our price range. He's asking basically 30k. He did say the inverter won't put out 110 anymore but he's not sure why.. (adding the link to ad since pics aren't showing up: https://humboldt.craigslist.org/rvs/...736904027.html)

And then there's this one: https://medford.craigslist.org/rvs/d...757833295.html

We were talking to a guy a while back who had an MCI bus for sale with generators, solar, all the things you'd need basically (sorry, I'd have to dig up the info, but it was a very impressive list) but the inside needing to be built out with walls etc. He had the toilet, and shower and all that, but said the walls needed to be put in around them. He was only asking 10k. It's such a difference in price, I'm wondering why. Are the two that are already finished for roughly 30k asking about the right price?

The first one is located in my area (such a bonus) and we are going to check it tomorrow (hopefully). Aside from getting a good diesel mechanic to take a look for us, is there anything in particular we should look for?

Thank you, ALL!

CarreAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:09 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: DT466E
A bus is worth what someone is willing to pay for it and for what someone is willing to take to relinquish it... I cant get the links to load for me but ill search the numbers and look at them. " I love to look at busses" I put mine up for sale for $50,000, $63000 with jeep, because that what its worth to me currently and I'm debating moving on a ocean vessel after traveling.
Cdimples67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:31 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We budgeted about 30K for our build, and that's just about what it's coming out to cost....just for frame of reference. I'd say 30K for a finished bus is about the right range. For us. Sounds like it might be for you as well. FWIW when we were looking for finished buses, 30K was what a LOT of them were priced at for some reason. Those 2 buses look like they're turnkey and ready to go, but if we'd have bought them we'd want to remodel them so suit our style. The 10K MCI you're considering very well may come out to cost less in the long run, but you'll put some sweat equity into it.....and it'll also be more suited to your style.
I guess, all this to say, the prices don't seem outrageous and if you don't mind putting in the work, the 10K MCI may very well come out cheaper.

FWIW we looked into those coach buses but got gunshy about the Detroit Diesel engines, as I've heard its starting to get hard to find mechanics who are able to work on them.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Oh, thank you both for your input!! We really do not have the expertise to build anything ourselves so we'd pay someone to do it. I love the idea of a bus ready to go but, the bus near me DEFINITELY could use some modernizing .. alright, so, good to know the price doesn't seem to be too out of the arena.

Thank you!
Old 11-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

The GM 4106 looks like a pretty nice coach. Two things that make it less attractive is that it is a V-drive.

First that means the engine turns to the left, it is mounted transversely, and it drives the bus through a transmission that turns the power about 120* to get it to the rear end.

Second, because it is a left turning 2-cycle DD going through a V-drive transmission finding anyone who really knows anything about that power package is getting into the unicorn status.

That power package has run buses for more than 60-years very successfully. That much engine in that size bus makes that bus the sport car of buses.

It may or may not have power steering. It left the factory without power steering.

The MCI with an automatic and an 8V-71 is going to be a dog. You will be down into 2nd gear on any long grade. On any long grade in the summer time you are going to overheat. Notice I didn't say you might overheat. I said on a hot day in the summer on a long grade you are going to overheat. Most of the buses of that vintage left the factory with a stick shift and were retrofitted with the Allison, sometimes at the factory. Very little additional cooling capacity was ever added. So a bus that usually overheated with a stick shift always overheated with the automatic.

If the seller tells you it doesn't overheat ask the seller what has been done to keep it from overheating. Oversize squirrel cages may have been mounted, additional transmission and engine oil cooling may have been added, and MC-12 radiators may have been added. But it will still overheat because MCI's overheat on long grades in the summertime.

Like the 4106 a lot of the early MC-9 models did not have power steering. A lot of them were later retrofitted with a power steering box.

If the stripped MCI is a newer 102" wide MC102-A/B/C3 it will be wider than either the 4106 or the MC-9. It will also have better and larger radiators and will not be as prone to overheating like the MC-9. If it is a newer D-model or MC-12 model with a series 60 or Cummins L10/M11 get the stripped MCI. Any bus with a 4-cycle diesel will use much less fuel (about 2-3 MPG better), it will run much cooler and will almost never overheat, and it will many times have the B500 transmission which has OD gearing. Top speed may not change but the engine speed will drop and fuel mileage will increase an additional 1-4 MPG.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:23 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
The GM 4106 looks like a pretty nice coach. Two things that make it less attractive is that it is a V-drive.

First that means the engine turns to the left, it is mounted transversely, and it drives the bus through a transmission that turns the power about 120* to get it to the rear end.

Second, because it is a left turning 2-cycle DD going through a V-drive transmission finding anyone who really knows anything about that power package is getting into the unicorn status.

That power package has run buses for more than 60-years very successfully. That much engine in that size bus makes that bus the sport car of buses.

It may or may not have power steering. It left the factory without power steering.

The MCI with an automatic and an 8V-71 is going to be a dog. You will be down into 2nd gear on any long grade. On any long grade in the summer time you are going to overheat. Notice I didn't say you might overheat. I said on a hot day in the summer on a long grade you are going to overheat. Most of the buses of that vintage left the factory with a stick shift and were retrofitted with the Allison, sometimes at the factory. Very little additional cooling capacity was ever added. So a bus that usually overheated with a stick shift always overheated with the automatic.

If the seller tells you it doesn't overheat ask the seller what has been done to keep it from overheating. Oversize squirrel cages may have been mounted, additional transmission and engine oil cooling may have been added, and MC-12 radiators may have been added. But it will still overheat because MCI's overheat on long grades in the summertime.

Like the 4106 a lot of the early MC-9 models did not have power steering. A lot of them were later retrofitted with a power steering box.

If the stripped MCI is a newer 102" wide MC102-A/B/C3 it will be wider than either the 4106 or the MC-9. It will also have better and larger radiators and will not be as prone to overheating like the MC-9. If it is a newer D-model or MC-12 model with a series 60 or Cummins L10/M11 get the stripped MCI. Any bus with a 4-cycle diesel will use much less fuel (about 2-3 MPG better), it will run much cooler and will almost never overheat, and it will many times have the B500 transmission which has OD gearing. Top speed may not change but the engine speed will drop and fuel mileage will increase an additional 1-4 MPG.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!! Your detailed, *informative* response! We held off .. You mentioned the stripped out MCI bus for 10k possibly being a better deal. Well, I finally heard from that guy again and he still has his bus. I got all the details I could and we are planning on taking a cruise down to look at this one. We'll get a mechanic to check it out, but this is the information I've got so far:

1978 MCI model MC5C
38 Feet
1 axel
air brakes
2 stroke diesel, 8V71 / Allison manual transmission
registered as rv, no smog required (calif.)

About 75% converted --

washer/dryer
refrigerator 12v
double kitchen sink
All plumbed with a toilet and shower
280 Gallon fresh water
100 gallon grey / 100 gallon black tanks
mounted generator underneath, all wired
40 gallon mounted propane underneath and converter
7 gallon hot water heater, plus another 7 gallon not installed?
has solar panels but batteries haven't been charged so they heed fixing or replacement?
tow package with car vehicle tow all hooked up
said he all new bushing parts for the suspension. Says the suspension is fine, but it's a 1978 so he wanted to be prepared and said I could have those too.

Okay, just going off my notes that I quickly jotted down so if something doesn't make sense, it's my note taking.

It's all open inside. We'd have to build out everything.

I have zero experience with that, but would be fine with doing it, just not sure if I can.

Okay -- so, if I were to commit to building out frames and partitions .. the cost of materials etc. What should I expect to add onto our cost? Ballpark number?!

Trying to determine if doing it ourselves, or paying someone to build it out for us, would be worth it still, with the cost of the bus, all things considered (the year, the engine, the reliability of this model,etc.)

Thank you in advance for *any* insight!!
Old 12-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreAnn View Post
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!! Your detailed, *informative* response! We held off .. You mentioned the stripped out MCI bus for 10k possibly being a better deal. Well, I finally heard from that guy again and he still has his bus. I got all the details I could and we are planning on taking a cruise down to look at this one. We'll get a mechanic to check it out, but this is the information I've got so far:

1978 MCI model MC5C
38 Feet
1 axel
air brakes
2 stroke diesel, 8V71 / Allison manual transmission
registered as rv, no smog required (calif.)

About 75% converted --

washer/dryer
refrigerator 12v
double kitchen sink
All plumbed with a toilet and shower
280 Gallon fresh water
100 gallon grey / 100 gallon black tanks
mounted generator underneath, all wired
40 gallon mounted propane underneath and converter
7 gallon hot water heater, plus another 7 gallon not installed?
has solar panels but batteries haven't been charged so they heed fixing or replacement?
tow package with car vehicle tow all hooked up
said he all new bushing parts for the suspension. Says the suspension is fine, but it's a 1978 so he wanted to be prepared and said I could have those too.

Okay, just going off my notes that I quickly jotted down so if something doesn't make sense, it's my note taking.

It's all open inside. We'd have to build out everything.

I have zero experience with that, but would be fine with doing it, just not sure if I can.

Okay -- so, if I were to commit to building out frames and partitions .. the cost of materials etc. What should I expect to add onto our cost? Ballpark number?!

Trying to determine if doing it ourselves, or paying someone to build it out for us, would be worth it still, with the cost of the bus, all things considered (the year, the engine, the reliability of this model,etc.)

Thank you in advance for *any* insight!!
An MC-5C is a 35' long two axle bus (unless you are Stokely Stover I doubt you will find a vehicle with only one axle!). With bumpers and everything else it might be a bit longer but back in the day length restrictions dictated no longer than 35'.

All MC-5 buses had full air ride suspension with air brakes. The parts and pieces are identical to those used on MC-7/8/9 buses so finding parts are not a problem.

A lot of MC-5 buses had 6V-71 motors in them. If this one has an 8V-71 it is going to be a bit of a hot rod. Make sure there are 8 cylinders if that is what is advertised. An MC-5 with the 6V-71 wasn't a bad bus. There were still pretty quick. But increasing the engine size by 1/3 sure helps on the hills.

Allison makes automatic transmissions. I don't know what an Allison manual transmission is. If it has an Allison automatic, the bus will have a penchant for overheating on hot days while going up long steep grades. It isn't anything specific to the MC-5 but to all MCI buses with the dual radiator setup. The overheating issue is exacerbated by the retrofitting of an automatic transmission. A marginal system with an additional cooling requirement resulted in a LOT of overheating. Adding additional transmission cooling ability will allow you to not overheat on every single hill in the summertime.

Most MC-5's didn't have power steering. Some of the later MC-5C's had power steering from the factory. If you don't have a lot of upper body strength then you are really going to need power steering in any situations where you need to do a lot of steering inputs at slow speeds. Situations like getting set up in a campground come immediately to mind. Jockeying back and forth to get the coach sited just so is made very difficult if you don't have power steering.

As far as the RV parts are concerned, those tanks are HUGE. Tanks that large will make boondocking fairly simple.

I would make sure that the trailer hitch is actually connected to something besides the back bumper. MCI buses were built with the engine sitting in a cradle. The cradle was designed in a way in which a full engine/transmission swap could be accomplished in less than eight hours of shop time. To be able to do a power package swap that quickly all you had to do was remove the back bumper, disconnect all of the hoses and electrical wires, drop the driveline, remove four bolts, and with a forklift just back the whole power package out of the bus. If the trailer hitch is only attached to the bumper or the engine cradle you are not pulling on the frame of the bus but on the engine cradle. The engine cradle was not designed to withstand the weight of something being towed behind the bus.

Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
MC5 is a SWEET bus! One of my dream buses.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you both!!

Okay, I guess even I could have considered what he said (maybe he just misspoke) that 1 axle wouldn't make much sense!

He said it's 38 ft, so it must be 35.

He said manual transmission too. I guess we'll see when we drive it! Stay tuned ..

What would you say it's worth with all that stuff IN it .. again, we'd need to build out partitions and get some beds in there, table, couch... As is, what would you say it's worth?

I will definitely keep you updated!

Thank you!!

Carre --
Old 12-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
An MC-5C is a 35' long two axle bus (unless you are Stokely Stover I doubt you will find a vehicle with only one axle!). With bumpers and everything else it might be a bit longer but back in the day length restrictions dictated no longer than 35'.

All MC-5 buses had full air ride suspension with air brakes. The parts and pieces are identical to those used on MC-7/8/9 buses so finding parts are not a problem.

A lot of MC-5 buses had 6V-71 motors in them. If this one has an 8V-71 it is going to be a bit of a hot rod. Make sure there are 8 cylinders if that is what is advertised. An MC-5 with the 6V-71 wasn't a bad bus. There were still pretty quick. But increasing the engine size by 1/3 sure helps on the hills.

Allison makes automatic transmissions. I don't know what an Allison manual transmission is. If it has an Allison automatic, the bus will have a penchant for overheating on hot days while going up long steep grades. It isn't anything specific to the MC-5 but to all MCI buses with the dual radiator setup. The overheating issue is exacerbated by the retrofitting of an automatic transmission. A marginal system with an additional cooling requirement resulted in a LOT of overheating. Adding additional transmission cooling ability will allow you to not overheat on every single hill in the summertime.

Most MC-5's didn't have power steering. Some of the later MC-5C's had power steering from the factory. If you don't have a lot of upper body strength then you are really going to need power steering in any situations where you need to do a lot of steering inputs at slow speeds. Situations like getting set up in a campground come immediately to mind. Jockeying back and forth to get the coach sited just so is made very difficult if you don't have power steering.

As far as the RV parts are concerned, those tanks are HUGE. Tanks that large will make boondocking fairly simple.

I would make sure that the trailer hitch is actually connected to something besides the back bumper. MCI buses were built with the engine sitting in a cradle. The cradle was designed in a way in which a full engine/transmission swap could be accomplished in less than eight hours of shop time. To be able to do a power package swap that quickly all you had to do was remove the back bumper, disconnect all of the hoses and electrical wires, drop the driveline, remove four bolts, and with a forklift just back the whole power package out of the bus. If the trailer hitch is only attached to the bumper or the engine cradle you are not pulling on the frame of the bus but on the engine cradle. The engine cradle was not designed to withstand the weight of something being towed behind the bus.

Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress.
Looks like we may go check this thing out on Monday/Tuesday. Any ideas what you'd say this thing would be worth if it checks out okay from the mechanic -- considering all the stuff that's in it and that it needs to be built out on the inside still (partitions, bed, seating, counters)

Thanks!!
Old 12-17-2018, 02:54 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Looks like we may go check this thing out on Monday/Tuesday. Any ideas what you'd say this thing would be worth if it checks out okay from the mechanic -- considering all the stuff that's in it and that it needs to be built out on the inside still (partitions, bed, seating, counters)

Thanks!!
Since seated coaches in ready to go into service condition sell in the $3K-$5K range, depending on how much you think the stuff inside the bus is worth, I would put the price range in the $5K-$8K range.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:55 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Since seated coaches in ready to go into service condition sell in the $3K-$5K range, depending on how much you think the stuff inside the bus is worth, I would put the price range in the $5K-$8K range.
Thanks, okay. So this bus is pretty loaded up with equipment.. sounds like everything we need except the build inside.

So, only between 5-8k? Seems like so many other buses go for so much more. but, good to know ..

Anyone know how much a set of tires will set us back on an MC5C bus? Just called for an insurance quote too .. waiting on that.

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Thanks, okay. So this bus is pretty loaded up with equipment.. sounds like everything we need except the build inside.

So, only between 5-8k? Seems like so many other buses go for so much more. but, good to know ..

Anyone know how much a set of tires will set us back on an MC5C bus? Just called for an insurance quote too .. waiting on that.

Thanks!
Plan on $300-$400 per tire.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Hi enthusiasts. I need some help!

I'm going to go look at a 1964 GMC 4106, 8V71 Detroit with Allison V-730 automatic transmission,jake brake,2 solar panels,2 domestic AC units,18 foot awning,100 gallon fresh water,100 gallon black/grey 29900. He said it has a newer motor with maybe 40k miles. He said the front and back are aluminum and there is a little rust starting on both front and back caps? Now, as you can probably tell, I don't know what to really ask or look for but we'll go check it out in person and obviously have a diesel mechanic take a look at it for us if we pull the trigger on this. What we like is that it's close for a change and somewhat in our price range. He's asking basically 30k. He did say the inverter won't put out 110 anymore but he's not sure why.. (adding the link to ad since pics aren't showing up: https://humboldt.craigslist.org/rvs/...736904027.html)

And then there's this one: https://medford.craigslist.org/rvs/d...757833295.html

We were talking to a guy a while back who had an MCI bus for sale with generators, solar, all the things you'd need basically (sorry, I'd have to dig up the info, but it was a very impressive list) but the inside needing to be built out with walls etc. He had the toilet, and shower and all that, but said the walls needed to be put in around them. He was only asking 10k. It's such a difference in price, I'm wondering why. Are the two that are already finished for roughly 30k asking about the right price?

The first one is located in my area (such a bonus) and we are going to check it tomorrow (hopefully). Aside from getting a good diesel mechanic to take a look for us, is there anything in particular we should look for?

Thank you, ALL!

What all is included on this "impressive list" you mentioned?
That would help give an estimate of what that stuff is worth.
Maybe you won't like these materials and get stuck with them? And they are stored in the bus so difficult to work like that.
Anyway, would make a nice coach, good luck.

john
Old 12-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
What all is included on this "impressive list" you mentioned?
That would help give an estimate of what that stuff is worth.
Maybe you won't like these materials and get stuck with them? And they are stored in the bus so difficult to work like that.
Anyway, would make a nice coach, good luck.

john
Hey John!

Okay so it has:

1978 MC5C

8V71 engine / ALLISON MANUAL TRANSMISSION

AIR BRAKES WITH NYLON LINING

SINGLE AXLE

STEEL AND ALUMINUM FRAME

OWNAY 6500 GENERATOR - MOUNTED UNDERNEATH - ALL WIRED ( with its own gas tank)

ADDITIONAL 40 GALLON PROPANE TANK MOUNTED UNDERNEATH

REFRIGERATOR -- 12 VOLT /110 ALSO RUNS ON PROPANE

STAINLESS STEEL DOUBLE SINK

280 GALLON HOT WATER SUPPLY

100 GALLON GREY TANK

100 GALLON BLACK TANK

SHOWER WITH 7 GALLON HOT WATER MOUNTED AND AN EXTRA 7 GALLON TANK

TOW PACKAGE / ALSO SETUP TO TOW A CAR

THROWING IN SOME BUSHING PARTS THAT WERE MEANT FOR THE SUSPENSION AT SOME POINT, HE WAS A PREPPER

NEEDS NEW TIRES

HAS COUNTER TOPS, TOILET, SHOWER, NEEDS PARTITIONS AND TO BE BUILT OUT IN THE INSIDE.

DOES HAVE HARD WOOD FLOORS INSTALLED WITH MOISTURE BARRIER.

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY ITS WORTH IF IT CHECKS OUT GOOD WITH A MECHANIC?

THANKS!!! HEADING TO LOOK TOMORROW!
Old 12-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
The list is impressive CarreAnn. Lots of work done for sure. Hours that you wouldn't have to spend building but maybe connecting etc if unfinished.

I would have to see the layout and workmanship with my eyes to value what is done.

If you see it tomorrow and hear it start, run and drive it perhaps or have the guy drive it, that will help determine that side of the price.
If both the drivetrain and engine along with the finishing done and the quality then the seller isn't too far off at 10g's. Eight might buy it. Sounds like a dandy platform for a starter bus.
If you have any doubts, don't make an offer. Come back here with your concerns and maybe lots of pics if possible.
You are onto a good one I think if you can drive a standard. That is definitely learnable.....easypeasy!

I think Cowlitz' posts above tell the tale on the drivetrain in it. Worth rereading and form those questions to ask re overheating. That is probably why you should have a good diesel mechanic inspect it. Couple of hours of his labour is nothing really when gambling on machinery.
Might be it is nowhere near worth what is asking too, then what to do?

John
Old 12-17-2018, 07:32 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
The list is impressive CarreAnn. Lots of work done for sure. Hours that you wouldn't have to spend building but maybe connecting etc if unfinished.

I would have to see the layout and workmanship with my eyes to value what is done.

If you see it tomorrow and hear it start, run and drive it perhaps or have the guy drive it, that will help determine that side of the price.
If both the drivetrain and engine along with the finishing done and the quality then the seller isn't too far off at 10g's. Eight might buy it. Sounds like a dandy platform for a starter bus.
If you have any doubts, don't make an offer. Come back here with your concerns and maybe lots of pics if possible.
You are onto a good one I think if you can drive a standard. That is definitely learnable.....easypeasy!

I think Cowlitz' posts above tell the tale on the drivetrain in it. Worth rereading and form those questions to ask re overheating. That is probably why you should have a good diesel mechanic inspect it. Couple of hours of his labour is nothing really when gambling on machinery.
Might be it is nowhere near worth what is asking too, then what to do?

John
Thank you, John!

So, this guy FINALLY got the bus on it's way to the mechanic's for us. We're gonna wait to hear what the mechanic says .. however, he did say the guy called and said the hold up was because he hasn't driven the bus in 3 years so he had trouble getting it started, then had trouble getting it to go into reverse ...... uh oh. Mechanic is gonna spend the day with the bus tomorrow and give us his assessment. If the transmission is bad, he suggested it could be difficult to find a replacement for this 1978 MC5C. Can anyone speak to that? Is that true? And, would replacing the transmission make this whole endeavor a flop? (obviously the price would be heavily negotiated if that were the case.)

Thanks again ..
Old 12-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Thank you, John!

So, this guy FINALLY got the bus on it's way to the mechanic's for us. We're gonna wait to hear what the mechanic says .. however, he did say the guy called and said the hold up was because he hasn't driven the bus in 3 years so he had trouble getting it started, then had trouble getting it to go into reverse ...... uh oh. Mechanic is gonna spend the day with the bus tomorrow and give us his assessment. If the transmission is bad, he suggested it could be difficult to find a replacement for this 1978 MC5C. Can anyone speak to that? Is that true? And, would replacing the transmission make this whole endeavor a flop? (obviously the price would be heavily negotiated if that were the case.)

Thanks again ..

Chances are the transmission itself is fine, the clutch simply isn't releasing. Some driving may work things back into order (speaking from personal experience here). Hard to be sure without seeing it myself.

Most manual transmissions very rarely "go bad", they usually last the life of the vehicle (unless severely abused).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Chances are the transmission itself is fine, the clutch simply isn't releasing. Some driving may work things back into order (speaking from personal experience here). Hard to be sure without seeing it myself.

Most manual transmissions very rarely "go bad", they usually last the life of the vehicle (unless severely abused).
Okay, thank you for your feedback! The bus is with the mechanic now and he just said that the bus isn't going into reverse, that it was the reverse cylinoid??

He also said the compressor is building slowing

And so far he sees there are no belts on the air compressor for the AC.

He also said he thinks it'll be hard to find parts because of the year of the bus? I thought when I researched this bus one of the benefits was that parts and service wouldn't be too difficult compared to other bus years and styles. As you can probably tell, I'm no mechanic ..

I know the bus has been sitting for 3 years so, are there only a few major things we should be concerned with, expecting to have some minor stuff to worry about - and if the major things are good, it would still be an worthwhile bus?

Also, any suggestions on where / how to obtain these older bus parts? Any tips from the community on that?

Thank you, ALL!
Old 12-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Hey there, wanted to pick your brain real quick -- you mentioned the V-drive is a con because it'll be hard to find someone who can work on those. Would that be a deal breaker for you, even if everything else on the bus was almost perfect? Could there have been any modifications that may have frequently been done to change the V transmission status from being so difficult to work on? (I am aware I must sound terribly ignorant but that is because I am on this subject and this bus is so promising for us in may other ways, lol - HOWEVER we would be reliant on finding a mechanic for service as we do not have the skill set to do any of that ourselves!

Thank you!!