Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 17
Prison Bus for sale

Found this bus online...

https://www.commercialtrucktrader.co...CAN-5005494691

Does anyone have any reasons not to bus this bus?
Miles seem to be pretty damn good for the year, tires look good.

Need some advice before driving over to take a look and possibly purchasing..
thanks in advance

Mike
mrufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:55 AM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SW New Hampshire
Posts: 1,269
Interesting. I've never seen a front engine Cummins 8.3 before. That's a big, noisy, hot mill to sit beside for hours. Make sure you're willing to do that.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,015
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
The ad says 8.3 in one place and 5.9 in another.

I called the seller. He insists that it's a 5.9.

He also insists that the milage is correct and he has verified in on the ECM. Says the low miles is due to being a DOC bus not a route bus.

From the pics it looks like it has an MD-3060.

If it has good tires and no rust or other issues, I would pay North of$6k for it but not $9k.

Some will say that $6k is too much but I think that spending a few $ more for a bus that you can inspect and test drive before you put your money down.

I have gotten some fair to great deals from the auction sites. I have been lucky and not bid on any "dogs". I do know a couple of people who have won auctions, paid, flown and rented a car. Only to find out that the vehicle did not run as the seller stated. One wound up getting a refund on the bus but was still out time and travel expenses.

I cringed when I heard that he had to buy his return plane ticket on the day of travel...$$$
PNW_Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
The ad says 8.3 in one place and 5.9 in another.

I called the seller. He insists that it's a 5.9.

He also insists that the milage is correct and he has verified in on the ECM. Says the low miles is due to being a DOC bus not a route bus.

From the pics it looks like it has an MD-3060.

If it has good tires and no rust or other issues, I would pay North of$6k for it but not $9k.

Some will say that $6k is too much but I think that spending a few $ more for a bus that you can inspect and test drive before you put your money down.

I have gotten some fair to great deals from the auction sites. I have been lucky and not bid on any "dogs". I do know a couple of people who have won auctions, paid, flown and rented a car. Only to find out that the vehicle did not run as the seller stated. One wound up getting a refund on the bus but was still out time and travel expenses.

I cringed when I heard that he had to buy his return plane ticket on the day of travel...$$$

Thanks for the reply.
mrufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Ohio
Posts: 1,172
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Well, according to the esn on the data plate, it is a 260hp isc8.3. A picture with the dog house up would remove all doubts See if they'll take one.
Booyah45828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,531
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Interesting. I've never seen a front engine Cummins 8.3 before. That's a big, noisy, hot mill to sit beside for hours. Make sure you're willing to do that.
First bus I bid on had an 8.3 and it was a Bluebird FE. They're not as rare as you'd think. The BIG brown doghouse is really hard to get around. Requires a bit of acrobatics.
Based on the doghouse in the pics I'm gonna guess its a 5.9.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,015
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I asked the seller to post engine pics. That may answer the question.

I can tell the difference from pictures of the front of the engine. Kind of a hard pic to get in an FE.

A call to Bluebird with the body service number would work as well.
PNW_Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,531
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I asked the seller to post engine pics. That may answer the question.

I can tell the difference from pictures of the front of the engine. Kind of a hard pic to get in an FE.

A call to Bluebird with the body service number would work as well.
The 5.9 and 8.3 look pretty different from the top looking down. The valve covers look different.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:59 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,015
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Front engine covers are different as well and easily differentiate the 5.9 from the 8.3.

I have not paid that much attention to valve covers....,
PNW_Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:32 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 866
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Isn't the 5.9 an inline 6 and the 8.3 a V-8?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.