Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #11
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SW New Hampshire
Posts: 1,152
Interesting! I've been following this stuff for 4 years now, and this is the first I've heard of the ISL 8.9 liter engine.

An unattributed quote on the irv2 forum states:
"The ISL diesel carries a bore x stroke of 4.49 in. x 5.69 in. (114 mm x 144.5 mm) for an overall displacement of 8.9 L. Again, another family resemblance is the bore size, which is identical to the ISC engine.

The block, a gray iron unit features cast-in ribs for enhanced stiffness. "If you look at the block, it's really, from a casting standpoint very similar to the ISC block," said James D. Kahlenbeck, chief engineer of the ISL. "It's basically derivative of the known ISC platform, with some different machining because of various heavy-duty design requirements."

I also found claims that the heads for the 2 engines were identical, that the 8.9 had a 24v configuration, and that the ECMs were "different". Oh, boy, that's helpful.

Cummins as usual was heavy on sales and light on hard info. I couldn't find a reference to diesel-powered ISL's but lots on the wonderful 2017 CNG model.

There's a decent amount of aftermarket, and Cummins will support it for a while, I'd guess.

Has anyone anywhere heard of this engine in a bus before? School Bus Fleet Forums had one hit, excepting the fluff and press releases.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Interesting! I've been following this stuff for 4 years now, and this is the first I've heard of the ISL 8.9 liter engine.

An unattributed quote on the irv2 forum states:
"The ISL diesel carries a bore x stroke of 4.49 in. x 5.69 in. (114 mm x 144.5 mm) for an overall displacement of 8.9 L. Again, another family resemblance is the bore size, which is identical to the ISC engine.

The block, a gray iron unit features cast-in ribs for enhanced stiffness. "If you look at the block, it's really, from a casting standpoint very similar to the ISC block," said James D. Kahlenbeck, chief engineer of the ISL. "It's basically derivative of the known ISC platform, with some different machining because of various heavy-duty design requirements."

I also found claims that the heads for the 2 engines were identical, that the 8.9 had a 24v configuration, and that the ECMs were "different". Oh, boy, that's helpful.

Cummins as usual was heavy on sales and light on hard info. I couldn't find a reference to diesel-powered ISL's but lots on the wonderful 2017 CNG model.

There's a decent amount of aftermarket, and Cummins will support it for a while, I'd guess.

Has anyone anywhere heard of this engine in a bus before? School Bus Fleet Forums had one hit, excepting the fluff and press releases.
Thank you so much for the info!! The seller wasn't able to make it yesterday so we are hoping to see it either today or over the weekend-will post an update once we see it (hopefully with the keys in hand if it goes well!).
CJ1417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #13
Bus Crazy
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,651
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I'm unconvinced that it's not the 8.3. It looks like a TC2000 to me, and those were made with the 5.9 or 8.3. If it came with an 8.9 that's going to be something pretty unique.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_B...000#Powertrain
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #14
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,872
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I'm unconvinced that it's not the 8.3. It looks like a TC2000 to me, and those were made with the 5.9 or 8.3. If it came with an 8.9 that's going to be something pretty unique.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_B...000#Powertrain
Either way its real hard to beat a low mile big Cummins in a bus.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #15
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SW New Hampshire
Posts: 1,152
Brokedown, I'm leaning towards your theory here. IF it is an 8.9, and that's a long shot, my guess would be that it was a retrofit with whatever they had lying around or could scrounge locally and quickly. OTOH, that one quote did say that the block casting was "based on the ISC" i.e. the 8.3 so if the mounting pads and the bell housing matched up, it'd be a slam dunk.

Since the bore remained the same, I would say that this is a clear case of different strokes for different folks.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #16
Bus Crazy
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,651
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I'm expecting its a slip of the tongue from someone who isn't knowledgeable about that which they speak. Kind of like the whole "AT543" that you can find a lot of references to but doesn't actually exist. Confusing the 5.9 and the 8.3 naturally gives you either a 5.3 or 8.9.

If it actually has an 8.9 everything I've read indicates it was swapped by the owner. Not sure how I'd feel about buying a franken-bus.
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #17
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,872
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Brokedown, I'm leaning towards your theory here. IF it is an 8.9, and that's a long shot, my guess would be that it was a retrofit with whatever they had lying around or could scrounge locally and quickly. OTOH, that one quote did say that the block casting was "based on the ISC" i.e. the 8.3 so if the mounting pads and the bell housing matched up, it'd be a slam dunk.

Since the bore remained the same, I would say that this is a clear case of different strokes for different folks.
IDk, a prison could order any bus configuration they want. They're spending state/fed dollars and if that engine was an option I could see them ordering it that way.
Pics of the engine and vin would tell all.

I do think its most likely an 8.3 though.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #18
Bus Nut
 
Thomas1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Fayetteville Arkansas
Posts: 413
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Just buy it already!
__________________
- Thomas

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
IDk, a prison could order any bus configuration they want. They're spending state/fed dollars and if that engine was an option I could see them ordering it that way.
Pics of the engine and vin would tell all.

I do think its most likely an 8.3 though.
Here is the VIN: 1BABKB7A6TF064049. We have plans to see it tomorrow so we will take pics as well in case we need further expert advice from this forum!
CJ1417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:53 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Just buy it already!
Going to see it tomorrow so hopefully all works out!!
CJ1417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.