Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Re: private school needing bus

First major problem is the missing windows, flat glass can be made but those curved windows could be very hard to find. Secondly it will be just like any other car pulled out of a yard it will going to take a lot of time replacing hoses and wiring to make it reliable.

It is something I might tackle if it had all the glass but I think finding them might be very hard.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #22
Bus Nut

May I assume this bus is somewhere in minnesota or somewhere nearby?

If so, it has been subject to some nasty winters. Lots of them, in fact.

Maybe it spent most of it's life in arizona and is rust free. If so, it won't stay that way for long dragging kiddies around this winter.

And how is the suspension? I suspect every last bushing will need replacing.

If you are bound and determined to go through with this, good luck, but, you will spend alot of money you wouldn't spend with a newer bus.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:35 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Any word back on the registration issues?

I have to agree with the others. That bus is beautiful and I would LOVE to own one like that, but it would be a long term labor of love. I don't think there could possibly be anything cheap about restoring that thing. Without getting into too much detail, what kind of budget are you realistically looking at? You could get into a very student-worthy newer bus for $10,000 easily. I think you could sink that into that old bus just replacing parts to get it back to square one, let alone updating it.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:54 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

You know, I don't really have a set budget. I have to really gather figures of what I will realisticly need to spend so I can include it with our grant applications. I'm just trying to figure out if this is a project that would equal or exceed the cost of a new bus. If I can rationalize paying that much for a new bus, I might as well put that much into fixing up a classic, that is if it would be worthy at that point. What do you think?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:13 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I think I wish you the best of luck. That is a daunting task no matter how you look at it.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:21 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks. Hey, did you ever find anything out on your end?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:52 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Negatory. I have had a hard time tracking down the owners of the few I was thinking of. Usually it isn't this hard, but without plates, even expired ones....
Old 10-14-2007, 06:05 PM   #28
Bus Nut

further down the classified page is a really cool looking alumininum skinned 47 ford and it's in minnesota. probably gone, but, it could be worth looking into.

as for a classic resto being cheaper than a new bus, yeah, it probably is, but is it cheaper than a newER bus? Not even close.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:55 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks everybody. This one I left the link to is in a part of Colorado where the weather has not been "Minnesota harsh" so I've been told the body, chassis, etc, is in great condition. It would be nice, but we'll see how things go.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Chevorlet AT545 Allison auto
Engine: 8.2 litter Detriot Deisel
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via AIM to DizzyIzzy Send a message via MSN to DizzyIzzy Send a message via Yahoo to DizzyIzzy

My grandmother had a 57 chevy that my grandfather and I restored. It cost nearly $15000 And that was for the car. Now try restoring a 57 bus would be more. And you have to mount new seats. Update the lights, wires and all the rubber that may exist. That means all the hoses to the bushings. That is not even getting into the old motor and tranny. Your gonna need new tires, brakes, shocks and still none of that will matter when the inspector says the body is too old to transport children. Now an old bus would look cool in the school yard as a tribute to the past. I would tell you to if you want to keep with the idea of "make history come alive." Then get a newer bus and paint it with a history mural. That way people would see what your school is all about without spending 10K- 20K on something that may be nothing but a failed attempt. Trust me when I say that the old bus will not be easy to restore. I have done a restoration on a 57 chevy car and it was not easy and still today I work on it alot just to keep it up. Newer ones are built to updated safety standards that in 1957 didn't have.

I personally love the idea of restoring an old Skoolie. I think that the time would be fun. But alas I need to side with the others. Get a newer bus.

Paint a history mural and bring the history out that way with the bus. Don't put those kiddos in an old bus.

Good luck either way you choose with your task at hand. I want to see many pictures!!!
Left a bus stop in its place
The bus came by and I got on
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Of a bus to never-ever land"
DizzyIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote