Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
I don't make these statements ................but these things can look bad to the bone................and will carry you with pride and build along with the big dogs.............those 6V92's can produce some huge power if you can cool them...........I've seen some at 450HP.............
Attached Thumbnails
gilligprison.jpg  

Old 06-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
My only problem would be figuring out how to get it thousands of miles home to Fl. But maybe I could store it for a spell till I can get it back...
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #43
Site Team

They've confirmed that's the engine in at least one or two Q&As. But on something that old, with no engine pictures, why assume when you can ask?
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Plus the guy explained he was viewing the data plate on his phone and couldn't make out what it said............and as well HE DID ASK 6 or 7 other questions that were answered and did shed light on exactly what was going on there.

I agree with you completely. These questions all need to be asked. In these kind of Auctions one should ask and try to get answers to anything and everything you can think of; Creates a paper trail for one. And that's the game. If you can't be there and have eyes on the only thing that can be done is to ask questions and hopefully get answers.

How someone, anyone could find fault with that is beyond me.............
Old 06-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #45
Bus Nut

to the person responding in question 6.........yes I'm dense; just as you must be to elect to 'expose' the one question that apparently upset you; and of course not speak to the several other questions asked that needed to be answered. Unfortunately I came upon this listing on my mobile and was unable to read the data plate....but thanks for your highly relevant contribution:

Incidentally all the Phantoms are now in excess of 4K.............
Old 06-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #46
Site Team

Yup, there goes my budget.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Not only that they are ALL bid up by OSADEK.............The Super II and all the Phantoms..............must have some deep pockets. The only pleasure I can derive at this point is that..........I went into each of them put down my little deposit and bit them all up to 4K............I figure I've required him to reach a bit farther down into the depth of those pockets...........it was a little bit malicious and it was a little bit I wanted one of those Phantoms..............Seems like one guy is going to end up with all of them. And I did do a bit of research. And the guys legit. He buys buses and pays hefty prices for them.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #48
Site Team

So what's he do with them? IIRC he bid on something else I wanted, too.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarweasel View Post
So what's he do with them? IIRC he bid on something else I wanted, too.

I couldn't come up with anything solid...........just pretty much came up with his record on Public Surplus.........and it's pretty extensive. My guess would be that he likely exports them. Maybe to Africa or something...........they get huge dollars for buses "on the continent". I suspect I could go in there and put another grand on each of them and would still be "outbid" at the moment I hit the "enter" button...............but I simply have enough money out on buses right now............and have to stay within my business model and stay liquid. I have 3 flxibles and 3 crowns and don't want to sell any of them to own a Phantom comfortably.......I did a bit of research last night on resale of these, and there are of course quite a few of the transit variety: But that's apples and oranges the Schoolie Phantom is entirely different. I would have bought to have a bit of time to experience the Phantom, to drive it and do a maintenance program on it and shine it up. But big picture, unless I fell in love I would have resold it............but I did want one kinda
Old 06-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #50
Site Team

Hmm. I assume he mostly buys the biggest transit-style buses. Hopefully he mostly shops in California.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Nah he buys regular schoolies too..............many of them. And off to Africa they go. That's my guess anyway.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:42 PM   #52
Site Team

Here's a better theory. Omar Sadek runs a charter bus company in Los Angeles called Global Transportation Services.

http://achieve.lausd.net/cms/lib08/C...0Companies.pdf

Doesn't explain why he'd buy these buses that can't drive more than 1000 miles per year under CARB rules, though.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:46 PM   #53
Bus Geek

I'd think the South American market would be more likely than africa.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #54
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd think the South American market would be more likely than africa.

Beyond my expertise......... And like Hillary said in the Benghazi Hearings. "What difference does it make at this point?"

Magically there remains one Gillig untouched and it is one a friend of mine is bidding on............so it seems I will be moving on to other things today I don't think anyone could have imagined when this thing began that one guy would descend from on High and lock up these buses and the Super II........the rich pageantry of Life rearing it's ugly head........
Old 06-24-2015, 06:54 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarweasel View Post
Here's a better theory. Omar Sadek runs a charter bus company in Los Angeles called Global Transportation Services.

http://achieve.lausd.net/cms/lib08/C...0Companies.pdf

Doesn't explain why he'd buy these buses that can't drive more than 1000 miles per year under CARB rules, though.
I like your theory a lot Good work and thanks for the Link............there might be a way around that by removing the seats an titling them differently. I know if I were that business I'd be looking for angles. Good Work though.

I can take heart that I did win One of them........but it was an arduous task. First I had to put up bid deposits for 6 auctions: My strategy was to bid him up and hopefully deplete cash flow so he didn't drop down and scoop the last one. I bid him up to 4700 bucks on at least three or four, one went up over 5K..........I figure I cost him easily over 12K........but he was probably proxy'd up to 6 or more. It was all I could do. Didn't like the idea that he was going to get all these Gilligs. And didn't want to surrender. Next week it will go in: Engine steam cleaned, Exerior washed and waxed. Interior cleaned, a little treatment to the rubber surrounds, Taken for a rigorous test drive...........and will be flipped.

Though I'd wouldn't mind keeping it. I do think these are Awesome buses
but I'm flush with buses at the moment. Somethings got to give and this was kind of fun in a tense sort of way.

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auc...212:baconflag:
Old 06-24-2015, 10:03 PM   #56
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
did you try the link you posted in post #64?
I had to take the bacon flag down before it worked
lol
I never tried the link..............but when you posted it ended with bacon so I new right where you were coming from............I just hope the Gillig isn't a pig........
Old 06-24-2015, 11:49 PM   #57
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Here's this Osadek dude bidding on a 1987 Bluebird AA RE

$3,600, wow Although it does have a new transmission.

Public Surplus: Auction #1395110

If he was buying buses to export to Africa you would think he'd stick with the dime-a-dozen conventional buses, not the ones that are desirable for the skoolie crowd.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:14 AM   #58
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
Here's this Osadek dude bidding on a 1987 Bluebird AA RE

$3,600, wow Although it does have a new transmission.

Public Surplus: Auction #1395110

If he was buying buses to export to Africa you would think he'd stick with the dime-a-dozen conventional buses, not the ones that are desirable for the skoolie crowd.

It was pretty much determined that Omar owns a charter Bus business in LA............but a little further research showed that he is part of a consortium called Global Travel Services..........which seemed to be involved in "shipping services". Really doesn't matter much at this point.
The final tally game to this: AmericanHoss a Crown and two Gilligs. Omar 2 Gilligs......one requiring a new hub and a rear tire.........and Moki 1 88 Gillig........

Very Luck to get the one...............a lot of work. Also please to have driven Omar up on every bus an average of 3K. Sapping is economic strength or trying to. Which left one for me. Pretty Cool
Old 06-25-2015, 01:36 AM   #59
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Could be this Omar guy is simply driving the buses across the border to Mexico, it's where a lot of old school buses end up. I know the bus company I work for sells a lot of their used equipment to outfits like these.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:28 AM   #60
Bus Geek

They'll end up in central and south america.

These older buses are becoming the new VW bus... They're hip and young people all want one... But the prices are goin up steadily.