Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via Yahoo to tyndrgn
Public Surplus Crown

even though I don't have the funds I am still looking for my bus just found this and thought I would share

Public Surplus: Auction #1387410

tyndrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyndrgn View Post
even though I don't have the funds I am still looking for my bus just found this and thought I would share

Public Surplus: Auction #1387410
wonder why the second separate speedometer? the one that looks like it 298,700 miles

click to enlarge
Attached Thumbnails
speedo.jpg  
Attached Images

milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:20 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Duh....the first is a speedometer (and if you look close you will see the odometer reading where it says MILES at the bottom of the speedometer)

The second picture is just a blow up of the odometer from the first.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #4

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Those Gilligs are almost 40k GVW. They are monsters.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
Duh....the first is a speedometer (and if you look close you will see the odometer reading where it says MILES at the bottom of the speedometer)

The second picture is just a blow up of the odometer from the first.
ok, you got me!

then what is this a picture of?

(it's listed in the same auction, on the same bus)
Attached Thumbnails
speedo3.jpg  
Old 06-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I saw that too! ^^
I'll bet the higher one is the correct one!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I saw that too! ^^
I'll bet the higher one is the correct one!
stay out of this! it's a left coast thing!!!
Old 06-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
the second one sitting on top the dash is a Tach-o-graph, they put a paper disk inside it that is turned by a clock and a pen makes marks on it showing when you are moving, how fast and how long you are stopped, they do it with electronics now, old style tattle tale
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
the second one sitting on top the dash is a Tach-o-graph, they put a paper disk inside it that is turned by a clock and a pen makes marks on it showing when you are moving, how fast and how long you are stopped, they do it with electronics now, old style tattle tale
Cool!
We did the same thing for the health department and milk.
had to prove the times and temps held @ 67 gallons per minute.
And how long we ran milk into which vat

Old 06-12-2015, 12:54 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
That sure is cool.

Thanks for providing something new and interesting to Google.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:55 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

If you look closely you will see that it isn't just a speed-o-graph but it also has a tach for a tach-o-graph.

Most of those combined units were made by VDO or other European brands.

The most common in the US for years was the Wagner Electric Sangamo Speed-O-Graph.

As far as speedometers are concerned, they were calibrated to be 100% accurate when the tires were worn off to 50%.

There were many truckers and bus drivers that were able to beat a speeding ticket by presenting to the court a copy of their chart.

Sangamo Tachograph | Collectors Weekly
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:43 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

It's possible that the speedometer cable was disconnected from the dial on the dash to connect the tach-o-graph. Years ago I'd seen buses in school fleets with tape hiding the dial in the dash. That was before electric speedometers.

It's entirely possible that the true mileage is the SUM of the two odometer readings.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:37 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
That sure is cool.

Thanks for providing something new and interesting to Google.

Nat

Keeping it simple the II has nearly 300K a 6V92

And yes those Gillig Phantoms are Monsters............also with the 6V92T and an MT transmission and air shift.

They were last certified in the Spring and are fired up every couple weeks................that's a lot of Bus right there: With that engine I'd have to say it's a cut above your average schoolie...............but of course I don't think it's possible to construct a bus more brick like than a Gillig Phantom.............I'm thinking these won't fetch that much money............it's another west coast thing and less touted than the Crown. But these, from what I've heard, are some pretty hardy buses. At 30 feet I'd be all over one for sure................at 40 feet............zero interes
Old 06-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Looking for something
Chassis: Big Enough to fit my dog
I was looking at the gilllig, the issue is they are built close to the ground and have no storage compartments installed underneath. That and I wonder what the fuel milage is on those. That big engine and that heavy body. It would be a hard conversion and in the end you have something in the sub 8 miles per gallon.
facebook.com/mikehathaway
mjh2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:44 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh2901 View Post
I was looking at the gilllig, the issue is they are built close to the ground and have no storage compartments installed underneath. That and I wonder what the fuel milage is on those. That big engine and that heavy body. It would be a hard conversion and in the end you have something in the sub 8 miles per gallon.
There are 5 Gillig Phantom school buses (search results link) on Public Surplus right now, all 1987 or 1988s. They all look like they've got underbelly storage (2 doors on each side, just forward of the rear wheel arches) on them.

Would the fuel mileage be that low with a Detroit 6V92T? (Data plates list 24k unladen weight.) I have no sense of it at all, but would like to before these auctions end, since I have cash in hand and all.
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:47 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Looking for something
Chassis: Big Enough to fit my dog
Tempted to go by

I might be able to go by this weekend or make an appointment, if I do I will shoot as many picts as possible and post. I live about an hour away
facebook.com/mikehathaway
mjh2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:48 PM   #17
Bus Geek

I'd guess sub-8mpg... just a guess

Probably get about the same mileage as a coach with that engine, depending on the gearing.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i was seriously considering a gillig from Denver's RTD prior to finding my bookmobile. they are solid mofos.

that modern crown is also a looker. i think i recall moki b saying that crowns were aluminum shell? that would win hands down in that size for fuel...... but those school bus gilligs are as nice as a gillig gets.... better than RTD's.

the sound of that 6v92... ... were they both turbo?
both look like nice buses
Old 06-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
These are heavy beasts no Doubt and built considerably stronger than their Transit Counter Parts................These engines are at 277 HP which is a pretty mild setting: likely have much smaller injectors than what you would find in an MCI or an Eagle.

Of course you are moving a Brick.........so temperatures, terrain, weight and wind are all variables. So what kind of Mileage might you expect?

Fact of the matter is you never know till you try. Some questions relevant to this would be specifically to ask what the ratio is. I have learned that these have the MT644 Alison, but closer inspection appears to show that they may also have the Stone Bennet air shift............One of the questions not asked thus far is if these are DDEC 1 or 2 or if they are mechanical.

Really need to ask a lot of questions with regard these Coaches. Yes they will have underbelly storage. And yes they will have far better ground clearance than any Highway Coach. Are they air ride or are they Sprung? Another question not asked or answered.

I'm not particularly interested in owning a 40 foot Bus: If I were I would look very carefully at these as being a potential winner. California Coaches born and bred. Whether the engine is mechanical or electronic it surely offers tremendous potential for becoming fairly efficient. I see no reason, with sane driving that you shouldn't be able to pull 10 MPG from this engine. And as well for those not so concerned with thrift, this engine can fairly easily be "tuned" to 350 HP..........300 would probably be the max with the current transmission.........which can handle roughly 800 ft. lbs. torque......I know that the Super II used the HT740 coupled to their 6V92....so I'm not sure that the district saying these are the MT series is correct. The District was not responsible for the AD PS was, and they have done a lousy job. Photos loaded upside down and sideways, misleading and incomplete information. But

I look at this way: Of all the modern School buses out there especially for those looking to build out, You would be hard pressed to find another schoolie as stoutly built as these Phantoms.............

If I were looking for something to build out I would consider these very seriously. I would also make it my job to find out what is really going on with them. There are so many omissions that require answers. But this Auction for the one who takes the time to get to the bottom of it all, could get you a Bus far superior to any Bluebird or Thomas. My opinion. More importantly, because of the scarcity of information, and because of the lack of awareness, generally of these Phantoms, you might be able to steal one.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #20
Bus Geek