Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
Saving the shortie crown; a rethink a few steps back

I have taken some steps back and regrouped. I found that I was letting something I wanted so badly to take over thoughtful reason. Passion and desire clouded thought. At this moment in time I understand how thoughtless it would be for me to literally Kill a Crown to save a Crown when I can do what needs to be done and preserve both...

I have not foreclosed on the Idea of putting an inline six between the frame rails of the Short 55 Crown and doing the install upright. And fabricating a "hood" in the interior to dampen noise............we have the technology. So I will transport the Shorty to Safety and take my time. It's worth it. It's the last one on earth.

If anyone has the skill set required and the desire to do this install PM me..........we can discuss time and money and Plans.......thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?..._album_comment

Old 05-03-2015, 06:52 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Do you want to save it or sell it? Or save it by selling it?

1955 Crown Super Coach 29 Feet Long Comes with Perfect Donor Crown for Swap | eBay
Brettpearson67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:43 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Slap something really rad in that shortie.
Cat 3406, perhaps?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Slap something really rad in that shortie.
Cat 3406, perhaps?
And post lots of pics of the swap.

Without pics, it didn't happen.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettpearson67 View Post
Do you want to save it or sell it? Or save it by selling it?

1955 Crown Super Coach 29 Feet Long Comes with Perfect Donor Crown for Swap | eBay

Brett..............that was pretty much the intent..........to save it one way or the other..........that listing will expire and it will not be offered again.

It was a bad plan and an impetuous one. I have taken a step back. And glad I did. I will get the 55 into storage and take my time. It bothered me getting off two Crowns. One as payment and one as a donor..........when both these Crowns are perfect and turn key...........bad plan.

I'll take my time and rather than end up with a 671 in the Shorty I'll end up with an N14 or a Big Cam Cummins...........I was just so excited to finally found a sub 30ft Crown I let my emotions get the best of me. I'm back now seeing things more clearly. With no time constraints. Thanks for asking Moki..........
Old 05-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I wish you the best of luck! Might a suggest a favorite engine of mine, a Detroit 60 Series? They don't get much better.
Brettpearson67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
Bus Geek

great idea, a 2 stroke is cool in it's own pancake kind of way....a big diesel...will be the cats meow..urgh...ROAR!!!!!

I would love see her, with front tires high and torqued over as she assaults the 1/4 mile on the way to the camp ground
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettpearson67 View Post
I wish you the best of luck! Might a suggest a favorite engine of mine, a Detroit 60 Series? They don't get much better.

Thanks Brett. only deal with that is I want to stay fully mechanical. have only had one experience with ECM's and TCU's and C8.3 and an Allison B400 and all the diagnosis and codes and limp mode and all the ancillary stuff..............simply don't want to go there again. And as far as I know the Series 60's are DDEC............otherwise I'm totally with you. And yes they have nearly the same footprint as the 855. But lets face it Cummins did the Series 60 before Detroit or Daimler or whoever they are these days..........And I've owned 4 Crowns with the Big Cam never had problems with them and shoved up into the frame rails of this Shorty, well, should easily cruise the Grapevine at 90...........that works for me..........

Now that I have accepted that it's alright to do a "vertical install" and not be limited to established already pancaked engines a whole new world is opening up to possibilities...................I could go as small as a 8.3 or right up into the 400HP ranges of the Big Cams............so that's where I'm headed. Just thankful I gave up on the notion of sacrificing a couple Crowns to save this one..................thanks for your input..........Moki
Old 05-03-2015, 05:40 PM   #9
Bus Geek

screw that..... 14 liters are the only way to go
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:47 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
screw that..... 14 liters are the only way to go
x2 and a whole lot more.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant View Post
Brett..............that was pretty much the intent..........to save it one way or the other..........that listing will expire and it will not be offered again.

It was a bad plan and an impetuous one. I have taken a step back. And glad I did. I will get the 55 into storage and take my time. It bothered me getting off two Crowns. One as payment and one as a donor..........when both these Crowns are perfect and turn key...........bad plan.

I'll take my time and rather than end up with a 671 in the Shorty I'll end up with an N14 or a Big Cam Cummins...........I was just so excited to finally found a sub 30ft Crown I let my emotions get the best of me. I'm back now seeing things more clearly. With no time constraints. Thanks for asking Moki..........
N14 would be a good one if the Cat isn't your thing.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote