Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Schools Out Auctions

I noticed some strange bidding on Govdeals. Normally buses will sit at $1500-$2000 up until the last day or few hours it will spike to $3k-$4K, if that high. Now that school is out and the buses are being auctioned off in quantity I'm noticing, for example, in Hollister, Ca., there are 5 buses ranging from shorty to 40 in length, and all older than 2004. With 2 weeks to go still, all those buses are bid up to over $7K. I suspect these are being bid on by the south of the border crew and they don't care what they have to pay.

Bunch of nice Gillig's going in Charlotte, finally some Gilligs on the East coast.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Tis the season?

I read on another thread that Harlow's just sold their entire inventory of DT466 equipped buses.

I think Marc has a good label for the exporters: SOB buyers.....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Tis the season?

I read on another thread that Harlow's just sold their entire inventory of DT466 equipped buses.

I think Marc has a good label for the exporters: SOB buyers.....
I see what you did there........
Old 06-03-2018, 11:11 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Are buyers that plentiful, or are dealers looking to clear their lots before this years round of purchases?
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:35 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
Are buyers that plentiful, or are dealers looking to clear their lots before this years round of purchases?
I believe the SOB buyers are plentiful and just did buy up this years purchases. I talked to the guys at Midwest. They said it's not unusual for the SOB guys to come up early and leave a $100K deposit towards the next batch. One auction has normally $2500-$3000 buses at $7000-$8000 before auction end. Has to be SOB buyers because even the Fla. dealers won't pay that for an auction bus.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:28 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the exporters seem to come up with tons of $$ quickly.. I personally watched an exporter at a FL dealer 2 years ago go pick out 10 busses , start them up.. reve them a bit.. drove one.. and then went into the trailer to sign the papers... at the HIGH FL dealer price.. time seems to be of essence with them.. said dealer told me he wanted them all from tampa to miami in 2 days or less at the port.. they were going on a boat somewhere..

these guys bid early and high pretty much ensuring they guarantee themseves that bus.. other skoolie's or dealers may put in lower bids which run up the price before close.. but doesnt seem to bother them.. international pre-maxxforce long busses seem to be their choices.. I dont notice them touching much with handicap doors or shorties for the most part..

the exporters bid on a bunch of mechanical DT466 waynes when i got my texas bus.. and won all of them.. when I was picking up my bus in texas a whole van stuffed full of those guys pulled up, they all got out.. started the busses up and drove off.. if they didnt start, they were right quick under the hood tearing stuff apart right in the lot.. they appeared to have tools, parts, and everything with them..

those guys are SERIOUS about their busses..

the orices in general of used busses are Much higher than they used to be...

1. more and more countries are importing them from the USA as those countries economies grow and expand.

2. tiny house movement - lots of people go out and buy a bus with great ambitions.. some build em.. many sit, often those peiople dont come here first.. they learn a brand new bus costs 125k, so to them that 11k at an auction for a 12 year old bus doesnt sound so bad...

3. schools keeping busses longer - emisions troubles and budget cuts along with growing districts.. schools are hanging onto them longer.. it wasnt uncommon a few years ago for busses to be dumped at 10 years.. now as long as schools can keep them passing inspections theyll run them 15-20 years... in the city bus route world its not uncommon for cities to send their transit busses out to be re-furb every 5-10 years. and keep them sometimes for a 20+ lyear lifecycle.. schools are beginning to learn that their busses are not nearly "used up" when they get rid of them.. so they may make minor rust repairsm fix torn seats, etc...

all these things running up the prices for everyone of used busses..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Emissions busses are not exempt. There buying them up also. Watched 06 and 08 ic conventional bring 8 and 10k. Then you have another 1k for fees on top that.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Keep in mind that with the newer (<15 y.o.) buses, especially ones in nice condition, you might be seeing poorer school districts or private schools or churches picking them up onesy-twosy for commercial use in the U.S.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I believe the SOB buyers are plentiful and just did buy up this years purchases. I talked to the guys at Midwest. They said it's not unusual for the SOB guys to come up early and leave a $100K deposit towards the next batch. One auction has normally $2500-$3000 buses at $7000-$8000 before auction end. Has to be SOB buyers because even the Fla. dealers won't pay that for an auction bus.
The bus company here in my area sell most of their inventory to sob buyers 10-20 at a time
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:11 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Keep in mind that with the newer (<15 y.o.) buses, especially ones in nice condition, you might be seeing poorer school districts or private schools or churches picking them up onesy-twosy for commercial use in the U.S.
This is true but 2 main ppl I have bid against is Miami and San Diego
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Seems like those dudes avoid anything with a cat in it
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:02 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Frieghtliner - 40ft overall
Engine: 210hp Mercedes Benz Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 person (originally)
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I noticed some strange bidding on Govdeals. Normally buses will sit at $1500-$2000 up until the last day or few hours it will spike to $3k-$4K, if that high. Now that school is out and the buses are being auctioned off in quantity I'm noticing, for example, in Hollister, Ca., there are 5 buses ranging from shorty to 40 in length, and all older than 2004. With 2 weeks to go still, all those buses are bid up to over $7K. I suspect these are being bid on by the south of the border crew and they don't care what they have to pay.

Bunch of nice Gillig's going in Charlotte, finally some Gilligs on the East coast.
those auctions are shakey unless you know somebody on the auction team who can give you some intel up front.
05FrieghtlinerThomas is offline   Reply With Quote