Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2017, 05:21 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Scratch and Dent Crown

Wonder why such a nice looking crown with the Cummins pancake engine would be on ebay for less than ten grand?
Cracked windshield. Ouch.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:29 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
nice bus, one day ill own one.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:30 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
nice bus, one day ill own one.
Yup. They ARE nice. Till that windshield breaks.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:48 PM   #4

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: 855/300hp
thankfully mine is flat glass
Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:43 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 198x
Coachwork: Crown & MCI
Chassis: 40ft Tandem/40ft MC-9 Tag
Engine: Cummins 855 BCT/6V92TA, RTO-910/HT-740
Rated Cap: 47,000lb/38,000lb GVWR
Yeah, I worry about the curved windshields. Fortunately I have a spare set. But really, worse case it wouldn't be that difficult to change them to flat. There's nothing different with the shape of the bus on flat windshield vs. curved windshields, the flat windshield buses just have those extra windshield frame pieces. The worse part would be the look afterwards. I REALLY like those extra curves.
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:19 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
whys the cracked windshield a big deal? dont you just replace it? I thought custom glass places these days could make curved windshields..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
Skoolie

From my research there are only a few places that specialize in custom (as in curved) glass for windshields. As far as I know the way they do it is to find a larger windshield (with similar curves) and cut it down. I know places will also do Lexan instead of glass, but it scratches easily.

I have only talked to one custom glass company that claims to do 100% custom curved windshield glass. It's REALLY expensive. Even finding shops that will cut larger curved glass to size is pricey. Much more than just welding in 2 frame pieces modeling the Crowns with flat glass and fitting regular flat windshield glass (which isn't hard to find or cut.)

I have heard the GM PD4104s use glass that fits the post 60's Crown's curved glass but I have not confirmed.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Plus that vehicle is 41, Forty One, years old. Not only would windshields be hard to find, but parts in general would be so expensive, and only getting rarer. Not the kind of vehicle that one would buy and build as a motor home to boondock.
There are so many good newer used buses available.
I know, I helped a friend try to restore a 1933 Maxwell/Chrysler.
Lonejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #9
Skoolie

I think most people don't understand Crown's. Nearly every part is a standard Class 8 truck part. The only place things get 'weird' is with the motor orientation (pancake) but unless you totally wreck the thing (i.e. smash the oil pan, etc.) you can fix everything that normally fails fairly easily. Detroit 671's and Cummins 855's are used in all sorts of machines and most major parts can be found without much effort.

What I've personally experienced is that mechanics take one look at them and get scared before even trying to understand them.

I'd personally take a 41 year old Crown over a 10 year old Thomas or Bluebird any day of the week. ;)
Old 01-18-2017, 06:41 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent View Post
I think most people don't understand Crown's. Nearly every part is a standard Class 8 truck part. The only place things get 'weird' is with the motor orientation (pancake) but unless you totally wreck the thing (i.e. smash the oil pan, etc.) you can fix everything that normally fails fairly easily. Detroit 671's and Cummins 855's are used in all sorts of machines and most major parts can be found without much effort.

What I've personally experienced is that mechanics take one look at them and get scared before even trying to understand them.

I'd personally take a 41 year old Crown over a 10 year old Thomas or Bluebird any day of the week. ;)
What he said x2
Old 01-18-2017, 08:05 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Scratch and Dent

I agree that while every part is class 8, and these engines were very common, getting someone to work on them might be expensive. Parts, while maybe still available, will have to be special ordered. If someone isn't familiar with the unit -- the $$ go up.
And if You are going to build a unit to go boondocking, You need something that You can go into the local NAPA store and buy parts. Getting stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a busted whatever that You have to special order isn't good.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:55 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:

Ditto x2, dude.

So far on my bus, there is absolutely NOTHING that I haven't been able to replace, usually very easily. I look up the part number in Da Book, Google it or find it on eBay, buy it, done, easy! Everything is designed for easy access and maintenance, every wire is color-coded and numbered, every air valve and fitting is get-atable, every filter doesn't require Houdini-esque contortions to reach, in other words a lot of careful thought went into its design and manufacture. I've seen other buses' electrical panels - OMG, what a horrible spaghetti mess!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:09 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
From my research there are only a few places that specialize in custom (as in curved) glass for windshields. As far as I know the way they do it is to find a larger windshield (with similar curves) and cut it down. I know places will also do Lexan instead of glass, but it scratches easily.

I have only talked to one custom glass company that claims to do 100% custom curved windshield glass. It's REALLY expensive. Even finding shops that will cut larger curved glass to size is pricey.
Much more than just welding in 2 frame pieces modeling the Crowns with flat glass and fitting regular flat windshield glass (which isn't hard to find or cut.)

I have heard the GM PD4104s use glass that fits the post 60's Crown's curved glass but I have not confirmed.
Same demons haunt older boats too!
Old 01-19-2017, 12:04 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

John,
You said, "I look up the part number in Da Book, Google it or find it on eBay, buy it, done, easy!"
You make my point when I am talking boondocking. If You have internet, then are able to find the part, then You have to order it and wait for it to be delivered; assuming, You are a mechanic enough to fix it.
Of course, all of this while You are stuck out in the boondocks.
Don't get me wrong, I am looking at a 60 year old Crown bus, but I am enough of a mechanic to keep it running. + it has a Fuller 10 speed trans, so I am enough of a double-clutcher to be able to drive it.