Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Short or Mini wanted

I am looking for either a short or a mini-bus skooli. I'm a single mom in college full time and I'm thinking these might be best for me only because of the parking constraints on campus, and it's just myself and a teenager at this point so I don't need a ton of space (We've been homeless and couch surfing for the past year and a half, so I think it's a step up from a couch to a bus). I'm not buying until Feb/Mar, I live in western NC (Near Asheville, NC), and my budget is about 4k. I would like to find one already converted or partially converted, and it must be diesel as I hope to finish it into a bio-diesel eventually. I'm perfectly comfortable with doing anything involving wood or metalworking, I am "ok" with plumbing but iffy on my electrical knowledge (ie: rewiring), so I'd like to find one already wired. I have a basic knowledge of engine work/repair and a willingness to learn more (obviously necessary if I'm going to own/live on a bus).

I'm open to advice and suggestions, etc. If you know someone who is thinking about selling their Skoolie this winter, let me know. Meanwhile I'm trying to read up on all the posts on here to see what other advice I can glean from the collective knowledge on here.

Thanks!

MountainJen

Old 09-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #2

Year: 1993
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: diesel
Rated Cap: 20
Re: Short or Mini wanted

Hello,

My husband and I are selling our short bus. It is a 1993 International diesel with a Thomas body style (Approx 25' long X 8' wide with 6'3" interior center height). It has 270k miles and it drives and rides very well. The church we bought it from took very good care of it and we haven't driven it much since we bought it except to take it home and to go pick up building materials from a local Home Depot. We were planning to convert it into an RV and take it on a cross country trip but our plans have changed so we're selling it. We have not gotten very far at all on the conversion - we just have the plywood floor installed, but we have most of the supplies and materials already purchased and can sell you the bus and the materials for around $4k. We were hoping to get $3750 for the bus and about $500 for all the supplies/materials (we originally paid around $800 for all the materials from Home Depot) but we're willing to negotiate if you're interested so that we can both get what we want/need.

Let me know if you're interested. The only thing is that we need to sell it asap so we can have the money for a car since my husband's jeep is no longer running and we're down to one car. Anyways, let me know what you think. Thanks.
Scott_n_Sonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Keep an eye on the Asheville IWANNA. Look in the RV section as well as the Bus section. Many converted buses end up being listed in the RV section. If you go online, you can look at the Iwanna in Greenville, SC as well. Looking is free but it will cost you to see the phone numbers. We just waited until we found something that we were really interested in and bought the paper locally (Franklin). I watched the ad for the BlueBird we finally ended up buying from Dec thru May before we bought (price finally went down). Being able to just look online was very helpful and beat paying for the paper every week. Don't limit yourself to just a shorty. Keep your options open. Don't kick manufactured RVs out of the decision making either. You can get one really cheap (like $2K). Many private campground will not allow a skoolie in on a monthly basis.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_n_Sonya
Hello,

My husband and I are selling our short bus. It is a 1993 International diesel with a Thomas body style (Approx 25' long X 8' wide with 6'3" interior center height). It has 270k miles and it drives and rides very well. The church we bought it from took very good care of it and we haven't driven it much since we bought it except to take it home and to go pick up building materials from a local Home Depot. We were planning to convert it into an RV and take it on a cross country trip but our plans have changed so we're selling it. We have not gotten very far at all on the conversion - we just have the plywood floor installed, but we have most of the supplies and materials already purchased and can sell you the bus and the materials for around $4k. We were hoping to get $3750 for the bus and about $500 for all the supplies/materials (we originally paid around $800 for all the materials from Home Depot) but we're willing to negotiate if you're interested so that we can both get what we want/need.

Let me know if you're interested. The only thing is that we need to sell it asap so we can have the money for a car since my husband's jeep is no longer running and we're down to one car. Anyways, let me know what you think. Thanks.
I REALLY wish I could right now, as that sounds great, but I will not have the funds until Feb. at the soonest.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Keep an eye on the Asheville IWANNA. Look in the RV section as well as the Bus section. Many converted buses end up being listed in the RV section. If you go online, you can look at the Iwanna in Greenville, SC as well. Looking is free but it will cost you to see the phone numbers. We just waited until we found something that we were really interested in and bought the paper locally (Franklin). I watched the ad for the BlueBird we finally ended up buying from Dec thru May before we bought (price finally went down). Being able to just look online was very helpful and beat paying for the paper every week. Don't limit yourself to just a shorty. Keep your options open. Don't kick manufactured RVs out of the decision making either. You can get one really cheap (like $2K). Many private campground will not allow a skoolie in on a monthly basis.
Thanks Lorna! Actually I'm on my Mom's couch in Franklin right now- and I wondered where the hot dog cart went a few years back, but now I know!

I've been looking between Atlanta and Raleigh, and all between, Craigslist and Iwanna and googling even. I did find one I could afford next week (He wants about 1k for it), but it's a gas engine and I just really feel strongly about the diesel engine. I think it is best to wait until then and have more saved up, I'm finding that in general I'll get what I pay for and if I spend 1k now I will probably have wished I waited to get something a *little* better.

I'm looking at shortys, simply because I need it to fit on campus parking at both SCC and WCU. In the summer I'll probably park at Tuckaseegee RV (Jackson County owned) or at least go up there on weekends to dump!

I was pricing RV's, but the only ones I can stand are VW Rialta's and I cannot afford THOSE! I was thinking about doing the VW Bus thing, which I still would LOVE, but I just cannot see doing that with a teenage daughter, thus the skoolie. She is ok with the bus idea, as long as I let her paint it (She's an artist), which means I'll proabaly end up with something trippy and Grateful.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainjen72
... Thanks Lorna! Actually I'm on my Mom's couch in Franklin right now- and I wondered where the hot dog cart went a few years back, but now I know! ..

I'm looking at shortys, simply because I need it to fit on campus parking at both SCC and WCU. In the summer I'll probably park at Tuckaseegee RV (Jackson County owned) or at least go up there on weekends to dump!
Yeah, we are the ones that was setting up over at Denny Van Hooks Carpet store just before you start up Town Hill. We left Franklin July 3, 2009. NM is very different than SW NC!

You can probably get a midsize (30 ft) to fit. But even a 40 ft would fit into 2 slots (front/back). Will the colleges allow you to park? The Ralph Andrews campground will only allow a max stay of 14 days (like most public campgrounds). So you would need to find another park for your "out" times. You need to look into the monthly prices at a private campground. Here in NM, we pay less than $12 per day and that includes water/electric/sewer/cable (and HBO). Don't forget to look at "mobile home" parks. Many of them will take an RV and should take a skoolie. You will need to build an insulated water hose to get thru the winter. Not a big deal. I really am not that familiar with the various parks around Cullowhee. IN FRANKLIN: I think that the mobile home park (Iotla Park?) on Olive Hill Rd at the far end of the airport (airport Rd turn Right after you pass Runway Market) would take an RV/skoolie. Or perhaps Rose Creek Campground? Cut over on Sanderstown Rd from Hwy 28 to 441 and on into Cullowhee. We always took the Webster Rd/S River Rd (the "back way") into Cullowhee.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Quote:
... Thanks Lorna! Actually I'm on my Mom's couch in Franklin right now- and I wondered where the hot dog cart went a few years back, but now I know! ..

Yeah, we are the ones that was setting up over at Denny Van Hooks Carpet store just before you start up Town Hill. We left Franklin July 3, 2009. NM is very different than SW NC!

You can probably get a midsize (30 ft) to fit. But even a 40 ft would fit into 2 slots (front/back). Will the colleges allow you to park? The Ralph Andrews campground will only allow a max stay of 14 days (like most public campgrounds). So you would need to find another park for your "out" times. You need to look into the monthly prices at a private campground. Here in NM, we pay less than $12 per day and that includes water/electric/sewer/cable (and HBO). Don't forget to look at "mobile home" parks. Many of them will take an RV and should take a skoolie. You will need to build an insulated water hose to get thru the winter. Not a big deal. I really am not that familiar with the various parks around Cullowhee. IN FRANKLIN: I think that the mobile home park (Iotla Park?) on Olive Hill Rd at the far end of the airport (airport Rd turn Right after you pass Runway Market) would take an RV/skoolie. Or perhaps Rose Creek Campground? Cut over on Sanderstown Rd from Hwy 28 to 441 and on into Cullowhee. We always took the Webster Rd/S River Rd (the "back way") into Cullowhee.

My Mom's friends have a lot on 28N by the river just past Sanderstown that they have 5-6 rv hookups on, I can probably get a deal on that for now. I also just found out there's a good chance (if I keep my GPA up, currently a 3.0) that I'll be able to go to Germany WITH my daughter next year (January of '13) to study abroad through the local University at no extra cost beyond my in-state tuition, so that is one of my goals also. It's strange to be almost 40 and a college student, but I supposed I take this more seriously now!

Meanwhile, I can boondock at Wal Mart at night, use the on-campus showers at the gym if needed, and park in the upper back lot (by the library) during the day at SCC- They even have grills for cooking out up there.

I'm an Accounting major, of all things, and so I am always looking for ways to save money and cut costs...
Old 09-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
... My Mom's friends have a lot on 28N by the river just past Sanderstown that they have 5-6 rv hookups on, I can probably get a deal on that for now...
Is that the place on the left hand side right on the Little TN between Sanderstown Rd and Mason Mtn Mine (not to be confused with Mason's mine) in the curve? (sorta across from Mason Branch Rd... called Riverside, Riveredge... something like that?). Nice place but low... I've seen it flood there in the spring.

In case you ware wondering... I lived in Iotla Valley for many years (since 1966)... even went to school there a couple of years at the Iotla Elementary school (also a year at the high school). After I got married, we moved back to Franklin and lived out at Lost Bridge, on Upper Burningtown (until our house burned) near Mason's Mine (which I understand they finally sold), Coweeta Lab Rd and Rose Creek (near the stables). My Dad used to be the only tile setter in town (now dead... buried over at the Methodist cemetery next to the school, so he will be there forever). Mom still lives out there on Airport Rd.

Would you believe that we met someone near Tyler TX that was from Otto!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Very cool! It really is a small world.

YES it is the low lot- and I know the flooding risks, so I would have to account for that. I'm hoping to find a lot near WCU to use, even if it's boondocking. I grew up camping in the most roughing it sort of way, so I'm good with it, and if I get desperate for a shower I can visit Mom in Cowee.

I've been reading and looking at everyone's build posts, and dreaming about busses, literally. I go to sleep and dream about it. Perhaps some day I'll find a guy willing to live in a skoolie with me, but for now my kid does take up all my time.

I'm thinking that I'll need enough room for my sewing supplies... Hrmm. Perhaps I can finally get back to making the patchwork jeans and cords I used to do.

Meanwhile like I said, my kid and my classes take up all my "spare" time. Heading to ATL for the weekend, my middle daughter gets married Sat. I can't beleive I'm old enough to have a daughter getting married, but there it is.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Quote:
I can't beleive I'm old enough to have a daughter getting married, but there it is.
Personally, I'd be more concerned about when the grankids get married. That's definitely old (in most cases).
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
Quote:
I can't beleive I'm old enough to have a daughter getting married, but there it is.
Personally, I'd be more concerned about when the grankids get married. That's definitely old (in most cases).
True! I hopefully have at least another 18-20 years before THAT happens!

I found some great busses online, but one is a gas engine. What are people's thoughts on a gas VS diesel? I personally prefer the diesel since I want to convert eventually, but for a starter bus would gas be that bad?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
V... I can visit Mom in Cowee.... my middle daughter gets married Sat. I can't believe I'm old enough to have a daughter getting married, but there it is.
Ditto about the kiddos (my twins are 24, gonna be 25 in Oct). Do I know you???? Are you from Franklin? My maiden name was Hester.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Ditto about the kiddos (my twins are 24, gonna be 25 in Oct). Do I know you???? Are you from Franklin? My maiden name was Hester.
Probably not? My ex-husband did not let me out much, per se. I didn't have any friends in town, and I moved to Franklin in ~2004. I just started making friends this past year. I did work as the overnight manager at the new McDonald's (by Hardee's) from about 2007-2010.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
Bus Geek

I don't eat at McDonalds. I remember too well what they did to food when I worked for them in High School. When you moved there, David was working up in Highlands and I was living in our house in TN. I was driving from TN to NC about once a month, stay a few days to a week and headed back "home" to mow the stupid yard. Only time the grass grew was when I was gone. Waist high and higher. That was idiotic. If I stayed longer than a week, I had to go home in the middle of the stay and come back. That meant I drove 200 miles, mowed the yard (2 acres of waist high grass, copperheads and rattlesnakes) for two days, then drove back to NC another 200 miles. I got so tired of it and David hadn't been back in TN for more than 5 days in 2005. So we decided to dump the house and buy an RV to live in fulltime. When David found the Class C we ended up with (in SC) he had his friend Eddie with him and Eddie wanted the RV just for the winter (he was fleamarketing at the big fleamarket in Ranger). So Eddie bought the RV for $3K, Then in the spring of 2006, David bought it from him for $2K plus some minor home repair work as Eddie was selling his house. We went fulltime in the fall of 2006 and headed to South GA to work. Been doing that ever since. I don't want to ever have a house again and I certainly never want to mow a yard again!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I don't eat at McDonalds.
I don't either! I don't do FAsT foods.

Wow you got a lot of back and forth driving in, that's for sure! I feel that way often with my trips down to ATL, but at least my car get 30+ mpg.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

If you aren't going to be driving it far a gas may be a good choice. They are much cheaper when it comes to repairs and maint. The 366 chevys and 370 fords are about as good as gas engines get. If I were living in one and just driving around town I would go gas.

If you are going to be bood docking you may want to consider a step van (bread truck) or a box van. It would be pretty easy to park and and not be noticed.
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobus
... If you are going to be boon docking you may want to consider a step van (bread truck) or a box van. It would be pretty easy to park and and not be noticed.
These are very rare in Western NC/Northern GA. I know, we looked for a couple of years for one at a semi decent price. I would have loved to have gotten the furniture truck that sat down at the old Lowes on the Highlands Rd. Had that big cab over. We even looked at the Uhaul place down in Clayton at a couple of trucks they had. We were looking for a moving van and ended up with the BlueBird.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #18
Bus Geek

When we left Franklin, they still had a couple of buses for sale out the Murphy Rd (not converted). They were asking $2K. It's the building with the fenced lot directly across from Roller Mill Rd. If you were coming out of Roller Mill , like you had been to K-Mart, you would be looking directly at the buses. I know it's been a while but that is where Macon County puts their buses at when they are ready to sell them.... If you want to to a fast and dirty conversion....
Old 10-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the info.

Sorry to have been scarce, we got approved for HUD housing and moved in last week. (yay, housing!)

Plus we had midterms at school, so it's been crazy.

Still looking at Skoolies, but more towards summer now before we'd get one.