Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2015, 01:08 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
Rated Cap: 72
Should I Buy This Bus?

Bus For Sale

1994 Blue Bird

Quote:
Large 72 seat diesel bus for sale by local church. The bus was purchased from the Medical Lake School District; we don't use the bus enough to make it worth the space it is taking up on our property.

diesel
odo: 235xxx
manual
asking $1300
What kind of questions should I ask, what should I look for when I see it... planning on looking at it tomorrow, best deal i've seen in a while from what I can tell from the basic info on the ad and the picture... any advice appreciated.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:56 AM   #2
Bus Nut

1 Does it run?
2 maintenance records?
3 Did they make the price a typo?
4 Tire condition?

But $1300 is a hell of a deal from what I can see.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Go take it for a spin. Check the fluids. Look for rust. See what shape the tires are in. That's a great make/model. If it runs/drives and only needs minor work then it's a great price.
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:17 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

That is a great price at $1,300.00. Most buses of that size, type, age, and condition will retail close to $10K.

Scrap prices are about the same price.

I don't see how you can go wrong with it.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

yeah, I don't think the guy knows what he has or just flat out doesn't care... it's been hell communicating with him... i'll let you guys know how it goes, gonna go check it out in an hour.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Pretty hard to get hurt on that one!
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #7

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
They probably bought it when prices were cheaper and they think they are taking you for a ride.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I think some of these non-profits are more motivated to get rid of it than they are to make money from it. The bus may have been donated, so they don't really know what it costs.

I bought my bus from a women's rehab center. It was donated to them by a church who wanted it gone. The donation paperwork listed the value as $2,500; so that's what his asking price was. I thought it was a good deal, so I didn't even haggle with him. He just needed it gone and cash in hand to fix their van.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:02 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

yeah, I'm guessing it's something like that... I'm not going to haggle him if he just let's me drive it away. I don't have a CDL, hopefully he doesn't care... I'm just plannign to take it down the road.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:04 PM   #10
Bus Nut

I didn't have a CDL when I bought mine. I did get insurance though. I figured having insurance and a story about turning it into an RV would've helped me talk my way out of any potential tickets for no CDL or registration/temp tags.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:34 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I don't have a Class A anymore. Can't pass the DOT physical. But that doesn't stop me from driving my 03 HDX with air brakes. Then, again, a beast that big isn't a daily driver.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I BOUGHT IT! drove it back and parked it without any problems, what a super fun ride I was laughing the whole time. Cummins engine, tires looked freaking brand new, almost no rust on the underside, thank Jeebus. Super stoked right now. turned out to have less miles than listed and is an automatic transmission.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:26 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Sweet! I see it has sanders too. What Cummins is it?

I just saw that was in Spokane. Had I known that, I would have gone and got it myself!!
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

yeah there were a lot of other people interested but by Jeebus's will I was the first to bite. Not sure what cummin's gonna go and look through all the paperwork now, he gave me all the maintence records from the school.

edit: 5.9 cummins, the school district paid $75k for it brand new.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:53 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Nice, give it a name and start a build thread with tons of pics.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

keep your eye out, I will definitely do that. going to need lots of help on the conversion. I've been lurking and scouring the forum here and videos on youtube, gonna get some tools soon and get started. Gotta go to the dmv and do whatever tomorrow, wonder if I need insurance before registering.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Here in Texas I needed insurance, a weight certificate, and inspection to get some temp tags and the title. I think I may have been able to get just the title with a weight certificate. I'm running on temp tags until I get the title switched. The lady at the tax office told me that a new weight certificate with a higher weight on it is all I really need to switch the title to RV (even though I'm supposed to have pictures and an inspection). I've bought two 72 hour tags so far ($25 each). I'll probably buy one or two more before I'm far enough along in my conversion that I'll pass an insurance company's inspection for RV insurance. That's when I'll change the title.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin1989us View Post
Here in Texas I needed insurance, a weight certificate, and inspection to get some temp tags and the title. I think I may have been able to get just the title with a weight certificate. I'm running on temp tags until I get the title switched. The lady at the tax office told me that a new weight certificate with a higher weight on it is all I really need to switch the title to RV (even though I'm supposed to have pictures and an inspection). I've bought two 72 hour tags so far ($25 each). I'll probably buy one or two more before I'm far enough along in my conversion that I'll pass an insurance company's inspection for RV insurance. That's when I'll change the title.
Who are you thinking of for Insurance?

Last time I had a private bus I went through a Farmer's agent and he somehow found coverage. I never got to the point of titling it as a motorhome... doesn't make much difference to Texas from a fee standpoint.

I called a couple of insurance companies and they are all not interested unless it was "built from the factory as a motorhome." Even when I pointed out that no motorhome was built that way they still won't touch a conversion.

Meanwhile, they will insure a 25 year old motorhome, sight unseen just because it's a motorhome.... WTH. Geico gave me a line of bull about narrow wheel base. I asked if they had ever seen a stick and staple survive a roll over? lol.
Bus #3- 1985 Auwerter (Neoplan) Cityliner N116/2 Motorhome
See "My garage" in profile for past vehicles and pictures.
My bus blog: https://www.autobus.us
Hotpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotpuppy View Post
Who are you thinking of for Insurance?
I'd heard some people here saying they've gone through Good Sam to get their insurance. I'm not too sure the details, but I'm pretty sure there's some sort of inspection or maybe you just have to send in pictures. I think they were through National General.

Look around a little bit on this forum. There are dozens of insurance threads.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:20 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin1989us View Post
I'd heard some people here saying they've gone through Good Sam to get their insurance. I'm not too sure the details, but I'm pretty sure there's some sort of inspection or maybe you just have to send in pictures. I think they were through National General.

Look around a little bit on this forum. There are dozens of insurance threads.
Good to know. I'm searching for my next albatross, ahemm, bus.
Bus #3- 1985 Auwerter (Neoplan) Cityliner N116/2 Motorhome
See "My garage" in profile for past vehicles and pictures.
My bus blog: https://www.autobus.us
Hotpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote