Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #1

shuttle bus

I am looking for a shuttle bus. I want a diesel. I would like a copilot seat but its not a deal breaker. I am in Missouri but would be willing to travel for a good deal. If anyone hears of any good ones that are very reasonable please send me a message.

beachgirl222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:58 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
Hi. Welcome. If you are in the market for a Shuttle Bus, Watch out for anything with a 6.0 Ford or a 6.4 Ford Diesel. They are actually made by International, and are riddled with problems. Find a 7.3 (International 444) or a Duramax if you can. Lots of good options out there, be patient.
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Lots of well-meaning folks think they're getting a DEAL on a 2003 and up 6.0 ford/navistar engine bus only to find out they need advanced mechanical knowledge, a lot of time, and tons of money to "fix" all the BS problems.
There's a reason they're practically giving the things away.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #4
Bus Nut

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8
Old 03-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #5

suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDR76 View Post
Ok what do you think I should look for? No Diesel?
Old 03-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #6

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Most folks here seem to be fine with the 7.3, and there are plenty of them around. Like anything, there are some shortcomings with that drive train, but I think it is more to do with the transmission than the motor. Seems the trans. needs some help with the fluid flow, and getting heated. It's also very important to keep an eye on oil level. ( but you should do that on any vehicle)Snoop thru as many threads as you can and gather as much info. as you can. Shuttle type busses are loved by many people, and there are some really good builds on this forum.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Diesel. Diesel all the way!!! Just stay away from the 2 engines I mentioned. There is a reason they are very cheap to buy. Just hold out for a T444 (its the same as the 7.3 powerstroke). These should have ended in the early-mid 2000s. If you find a late 90's its likely a TE444. Or a Duramax. OR find a shorty with a Cummins. The 5.9 is a great engine, but I'm not sure what shorties they came in. Ive a Cumminis in my "shorty" but it is about 28 feet long; 1991 TC1000.- Its not full-length, but is not a short-bus either....

If you are going to drive it much, hold out for a diesel. If its going to be parked, and fuel economy is not an issue, get a gasser....
Old 03-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
My 2000 Ford E-450 has the 7.3L diesel and the 4R100 transmission. The engine is well regarded and the trans is fine if you're not overloading it. The trans will tend to overheat if stressed by heavy towing or long mountain grades. A trans temp gage is a good idea if you'll be doing either.

The early Ford 6.0l Powerstrokes were a bit of a disaster but my Ford mechanic friend said the last two years of production had most of the problems fixed. He also said the 6.4L and 6.7l Powerstrokes are too big to fit in an Econoline engine room so what we're seeing around here (Detroit area) are newer Fords with V10 gassers or Chevys with Duramax diesels. The Duramax is an Isuzu engine and appears to be well regarded. Ironically, the crappy 6.0L came with the redesigned 5R100 trans which reportedly is a big improvement over the 4R100.

One nice thing about the Ford/Chevy engines is that almost any dealership can service them. I've had no problems getting repairs done at our local Ford shop.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
A few more points about the 4R100 trans.

Many burned out 4R100s got that way when the engine was overheated which then overheated the trans fluid. An add-on trans cooler can head off those problems. That and not overheating the engine in the first place.

Most of the reliability problems with this trans came from the F series pickups, not the E series vans. The van engine room is too small for a combustion air intercooler so the 7.3L diesels in vans have been de-tuned to compensate. The F series pickup motors have more horsepower (also better fuel mileage) and pickup owners are way more prone to modify their diesels for more horsepower and then use that horsepower at every opportunity. All this puts more stress on the pickup trans than the average van transmission will ever see.

Obvious warning signs are brown, burnt smelling trans fluid and, if you drop the trans fluid pan, metal bits in the pan and around the magnet inside the pan (you have to drop the pan to see the magnet).

If there are problems with the 4R100 they can be rebuilt to a much higher torque rating relatively inexpensively (Yes, I know that nothing transmission related is ever truly cheap). A properly rebuilt 4R100 is often better than a new one and way cheaper in the bargain.