Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Skoolie

*Sold* Converted Bookmobile for sale in Middle Tennessee

1995 International 3800
149,823 miles
7.6L DT 466 engine 195HP/2400RPM
MT643 Allison 4spd automatic transmission
International N-175 17500# Rear Axle
4.44 Ratio (rear-end)
Hydraulic brakes
Martin generator

Here's a link to a previous thread with some info on the bus: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3468 . Note that it's a bit more complete than in those pictures.

Basically it's a bookmobile that I've already converted. I'd say the conversion is about 90% done. There's a few things that still need work. Wood could use some staining. I'd like to make a step up to the shower. The bathroom sink needs to be covered at the bottom (the 10gallon water heater is exposed). Stuff like that. It's 100% useable, lived in it for the better part of a year. It should be able to go wherever you want to take it; I drove it from Tennessee to Alaska and back. It's been to Anchorage, Seward, Prudhoe Bay (yup, it went round-trip on the Dalton), Valdez, etc.

Generator works great, and it's integrated with everything (i.e. you can start it and shut it off from inside). Has an inverter which can be temperamental at times. Has a combination washer/dryer that works (pump no longer pumps water up and out, so I just routed the drain line straight down). Most things are full-size: fridge, microwave (doubles as a convection oven), kitchen sink, cabinets, bathroom sink, shower, toilet (it's an rv toilet, but regular size), and queen bed. Has two bunk beds that the kids used, they're a custom size (it'd be a bit cramped for teenagers or older). Couch folds out (like a futon), not quite long enough for an adult to stretch out on BUT there's a chair right next to it (there's enough room for one adult to stretch out, could sleep a second child).

It has one 75-ish gallon waste tank. Through a series of valves (one inside, one outside), you can either have gray water bypass the tank and run straight out, or have gray water go into the tank (so if you're connected to septic or camping somewhere that lets you drain gray water on the ground, just let the gray water bypass the tank). There's a 30 gallon fresh water tank under the queen bed, it can be easily filled while hooked to water (and it can also be filled via the vent hose if need-be).

It currently also comes with two TVs, one is a 32" in the living room/kitchen area. This one has plenty of inputs (hdmi, composite, component, maybe others) and I think it has a digital tuner built-in. It also has a usb port (so you can connect a thumb drive and watch movies on it; great for keeping the kids occupied while going down the road) and a dvd player (works ok, but I wouldn't recommend using it on the Dalton Highway). The other is a 19" in the back bedroom (I dunno what connections it has, I know it does at least composite and component). If it doesn't sell soon, the kids have their eye on the 32" tv for their room. Just sayin'.

For storage, there's a nice shelf area between the two bunk-beds (Store whatever you want there, and when you are ready to hit the road stuff some pillows in there and everything stays in place). There's also a thing in the back bedroom where you can hang some clothes and has two drawers at the bottom.

It's wired for 50amp 220v. Has an adapter so you can hookup to a regular 15amp 110v (if memory serves, it also has an adapter for 30amp 110v, but don't quote me on that). Note, the washer/dryer is 220v, and will NOT work on a single 110v connection. I dunno how many codes this may be breaking, but it also comes with a redneck box that lets you connect two 15amp 110v cords; if they're on separate phases, then you've got a working 220v connection (and the washer/dryer may just work, least it did for me).

Oh...and it came with a high flat roof. I know that's a biggie for some.

The bad:

Already mentioned the temperamental inverter. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. If you're on a bumpy road it can cut in and out, which makes the kids pretty upset if they're trying to watch Shrek. Solution is to use earplugs (so you can't hear them complain) or just run the generator (which you'll be doing in the summer anyways to run the a/c).

We had cats. They got under the bed. They went pee-pee. I carpet cleaned it, and then put some paneling under the bed to keep them out (helps with the smell too). Gonna buy some urine-gone and spray it down real good. It's not too bad with the paneling in place, but I probably wouldn't store nice clothes under there (I just use that area to store tools, tripod for the dish, leveling blocks, etc.).

Front tires are wearing a bit unevenly. Rear tires seem fine. If I was keeping it, I'd replace both front tires and use some dynabeads for balancing (I like generic dynabeads, i.e. those plastic BBs you get at Wal-Mart).

The water and waste tank connections are on the passenger side. Hasn't been a problem for me yet, if you use regular rv sites it seems to be 50/50 that everything will be on the right side anyway. When using a dump/refill site, you just have to run the lines under the rv to the other side (or park on the "wrong" side). Heck, I remember having to dump/fill once on the Alaska Highway, and the stuff was on the wrong side (i.e., right where I needed 'em).

It could use an oil change, but I have several filters and probably have enough gallons of oil too.

Since the fridge is a top/bottom (instead of side by side), you can't tie the doors together. To keep it from opening while going down the road, simply use some duct tape (one strip for the freezer, two for the fridge door). This works better than simply putting something heavy in front of the fridge door (trust me on this).

Price:

Gonna sell it for $10,000. If one of you guys are interested, you can have it for $7,500. I'll even throw in a 2 1/2 year old tow dolly with worn tires for free (while the RV has a hitch, it's not factory...i.e. for liability reasons I cannot tell you that you can tow your vehicle behind the RV).

I'll try to get some newer pics soon, just been busy. Previous thread should help you get a basic idea though.

josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Re: Converted Bookmobile for sale in Middle Tennessee

Nice rig...why selling, if you don't mind my asking?

Also: what will it run on the highway, and what RPM is it spinning at that speed? What size tires? Air or juice brakes?
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Skoolie

It just hasn't gotten much use. Last two summers we went to Fairbanks, AK and the hospital provided free housing (wife is a travel nurse). Did use it for a couple months last year.

Our next destination is Australia. Now, converted buses seem to go for a pretty penny there, so I've thought seriously about taking ours over, using it for a bit, then selling. But not only would it need to be converted to RHD, I'd have issues with the 220 electrical (when doubled, 440...I dunno if the fridge and microwave would work on 220, and I KNOW the washer won't work on 440 cause I checked).

I forget what the RPM was. On a level stretch of road it'll do 60+mph. I think the fuel is governed, it's definitely not rpm governed (cause if I'm heading downhill, RPMs higher and mph over 65, I can give it more fuel and hit 70).

On a smallish hill, you'll slow down to 55 or so, and semis will start to pass you. Get on a steep hill (i.e. the Dalton Highway) and you'll be zipping along (comparatively speaking).

Tires are 255/70 R22.5 (two front, four rear). Brakes are hydraulic.

I remember it getting about 10mpg on the trip to Alaska. Whether it was running 60+ on the interstate, or slowing down a bit for mountainous areas, I could depend on around 10mpg.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
Skoolie

Where is the bus located? I asked in the other thread about the generator capacity, do you know how many watts it is rated for?
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Skoolie

It's in Middle Tennessee...PM me if you want a more specific location.

Generator is 16,000 watts. It's a 4 cylinder Martin generator; big as a car engine. Here's the specs listed on it:

Model 160-DS
16KW 120/240 VAC 67 AMP
Old 10-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1

Since this is the "selling" thread, I guess I should have asked here....

I'm very interested. What is the length of the interior from the back of the driver's seat to the rear wall?
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Skoolie

I'll have to double-check next week. I believe it was around 25-28 feet. However you do get a bit more usable space than that. The washer/dryer is where the passenger's seat normally would be. There's a lockable storage cabinet above that. There's also a storage area above the windshield, however you don't want to leave anything up there while going down the road. There's a door that goes over that area, but it wouldn't latch.

There's a table behind the driver's seat, and another where the passenger seat used to be. There's nothing under the driver's side one, so you can use that for storage (easy to get to from the driver's door).

Any other questions feel free to ask. I'll be back toward the end of next week, hope to get some newer pictures soon.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
Skoolie

I've got a few measurements.

From the back wall to the back of the driver's seat (I had it back in a semi-comfortable position, but it would recline more) is 336 1/4 inches, or 1/4 inch over 28 feet. For those interested, the carpeted area is one foot less (or 27 feet); there's one foot of non-carpeted floor behind the driver's seat.

Measurements from one side of the wall paneling to the other is 88 1/2 inches, or 7.375 feet. There is about 2.5 inches between the panel and the exterior wall (there's insulation on the back of the wood panels), so if you took out all the wall paneling you'd gain 5 inches. From floor to ceiling is 89 inches, or 7.4 feet.

Also, the kitchen countertop is a standard 72 inches/6 feet. Full size kitchen sink on the left, plenty of space on the right. If you want to put in a stove there's room to the left, I need to get measurements later; but there is a convection oven/microwave above the fridge.

I was asked about mileage, it's still 149,823 (and 6 tenths). Generator has 5,038.4 hours.

A note about the inverter. It's one of those huge ones (probably as big as one of the batteries). Has the heart interface. Everything switches automatically, so when you're connected to shore power or running off the generator, the inverter isn't used. Only when power is off will the inverter kick on. When it cuts out, it's something in the inverter itself; I can set the heart interface to have the inverter stay on even with no load, and it will continue to draw from the battery (when power is shut off), but sometimes just doesn't send power to the outlets. Probably a simple fix, but I haven't had time to fool with it. The charging part is temperamental too, but that's been a non-issue (when connected to shore power I just leave a small trickle charger connected; when the generator's running it directly charges the batteries).

Yes, I'm working on getting pics; it's raining (so no exterior pics, rain might ruin the camera) and I just finished carpet cleaning under the bed (so I don't feel like running back out there). The missus says it has to look presentable before I can take interior pics, shouldn't take more than a couple days of vacuuming and tidying up.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "heart interface?"

Thank you for all the other info!
Old 10-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "heart interface?"

Thank you for all the other info!
Something that fancy RVs have. Goes between the battery and the inverter. You can do cool stuff like have it condition the batteries (I think it goes through a certain number of discharge/partially overcharge cycles). You can turn the inverter on/off (though the inverter has its own power switch, go figure). You can set charging rate, float voltage (I think there's a slight difference between wet cell, agm, gel, etc.). It sets the amount of load needed on the circuit before it kicks the inverter on (so if the power goes out, but nothing is drawing power, the inverter is using virtually no power; but if the fridge kicks on, the inverter kicks into high gear). Oh, I think it handles switching from shore/generator to inverter power when needed. Well, something in that whole package does.

I hate posting ebay links cause they expire, but this looks kinda similar (though I think mine is the Freedom 20, I need to check):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heart-Freedom-1 ... 2a14e0de38
Old 10-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Ah, thanks again! I look forward to the pictures!
Old 10-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
Skoolie

Tell ya what, I'll do my best to have pictures of something by tomorrow night. If you're lucky, they may even be of the bus
Old 10-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by josetann
Tell ya what, I'll do my best to have pictures of something by tomorrow night. If you're lucky, they may even be of the bus
Sweet! And if they're of the bus, double-sweet!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
Skoolie

Don't have time to make a pretty post with pics in it, but here's a link to check out the pics available:

http://www.thetannerfamily.com/bookmobile

First pics are some I took underneath, next set is the back bedroom, then the bunk bed area, then bathroom, and finally the main living room/dining/kitchen/etc.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Thank you for posting the new pictures. I'm sending you a PM in a minute.