Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Something I have just realized...

I just spent an hour searching[for giggles] to buy a duplicate of my bus. If you havent noticed, these older, mechanical buses are getting extremely rare and are selling like hotcakes!

Who knew.....

opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Same with Cummins engines. I could have bought an electronic/computer controlled newer motor for about half what I had to pay to get an older all mechanical engine. Nobody seems to want the headaches that come along with all the new technology.

Seems to be fine on a car you don't plan on keeping for more than two years, but after that...
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Seems to be fine on a car you don't plan on keeping for more than two years, but after that...
Does that mean I have to get rid of my 86 Soob and 84 Toyota truck with 346k on it?
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:11 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Does that mean I have to get rid of my 86 Soob and 84 Toyota truck with 346k on it?
Get rid of!?!! That truck has got to be worth 5k!

I'm not sure if they are just leaving the "e" off the door but I'm seeing IH 5 tons that claim to be DT466 powered that are just a couple years old.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:36 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
This is why I now own three 12 valve 5.9 Cummins, and one 12 valve 8.3 Cummins.

They will hold their value long into the future. Only increasing, never losing.

Try buying a first gen Cummins powered Dodge truck around here. Prices start at 10 K. Second gens can be had for half as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank's P-O-S View Post
Get rid of!?!! That truck has got to be worth 5k!

I'm not sure if they are just leaving the "e" off the door but I'm seeing IH 5 tons that claim to be DT466 powered that are just a couple years old.
They are DT466's, but they are DT466E's

They are computer controlled.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:50 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
As many folks are into diesels and "rolling coal" and as many folks are getting into the Pinterest/Facebook consumerism, I only expect the prices of used school buses to climb.
Especially the GOOD ones- the mechanical stuff!
I seriously doubt I'll find another 92 Ward Senator in good shape just retired for $2100.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:26 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Now I know I am going to step on some toes here, BUT look at cars they got a lot better and more reliable and efficient with computers everywhere in them. Sure you can't do anything to them with out some pretty specialized tools, but you don't need to. I hope that one day when I need to get a bus repower it will be with some gloriously efficient and reliable electro mechanical monster. Or like a diesel electric hybrid similar to a train that would be reallllly neat.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:21 AM   #8

Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
The newest computerized diesel I had was a 2005 Dodge with a 5.9 Cummins. I won't lie, I loved that engine. That truck is gone. Now I drive my 2000 Excursion with a 7.3 Power Stroke. I've had E350 and E450 buses with 7.3 diesels but none of my bigger buses have had computers. I've had Cummins 8.3, Intl DT466 and DT408. All mechanical. Transmissions were all mechanical. I'm not missing anything. There is a thread now about someone changing injectors on a electronic Cat and another thread about someone that couldn't get their bus started and the mechanic said to replace a $4000 board for the transmission. For the cost of one injector on a DT466E, I can buy a whole set of injectors for my DT466 mechanical. No thank you. The only electronics I will have on my bus will a laptop computer, a radio, a cell phone and a ham radio. Maybe a CB also.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:34 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post
Now I know I am going to step on some toes here, BUT look at cars they got a lot better and more reliable and efficient with computers everywhere in them. Sure you can't do anything to them with out some pretty specialized tools, but you don't need to. I hope that one day when I need to get a bus repower it will be with some gloriously efficient and reliable electro mechanical monster. Or like a diesel electric hybrid similar to a train that would be reallllly neat.
My new car is NOT better or more reliable. Or more efficient.
It can't achieve the inflated epa mpg estimates and burns oil.

Old > New
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:38 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
The company I do work for has hired 40+ owner/operators for a new contract. Out of those 40+ tractors maybe 13-14 of them were 2008 and newer the rest are 2003-2007. Some of these tractors have anywhere from 600,000 to 1,600,000 kms on them, they're mostly old Ryder and Penske units. The trucking company has had all kinds of problems with the newer stuff, re-gen, computers etc.