Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
I have no hate for CAT engines at all, but let's be clear about one thing. CAT retains full control to support the profits of their dealerships. There is no other reason even if they might like to pretend there is

John Deere have tried the same thing in attempting to exert copyright control over the software in their equipment (they lost) ... even Ford have dipped their toes in that water.
I have a one name response to this observation - Lee Iacocca. When he came to Chrysler he did it with the blessing of Congress. Ever since then any company associated with Chrysler became privy to the same set up - Mercedes, Fiat, Maserati, et. al.

M
Old 10-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Curious ...What parts of a cat are more expensive compared to Cummins? I figure most people would at a junkyard.

Later j
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:07 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3208
Rated Cap: 84 px
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
P.S. as for this bus the emergency alarm and no start are likely one in the same.. fix that and you'll have a key start that works.. (the rear start is mechanic start so it bypasses the driver-safeties.).
-Christopher

Thanks, I'll look into that. I'm not sure that they are related though, as the start problem predates the door alarm issue. The bus was sold without the key start working, and the door alarm didn't stay on until I pulled the seat next to the emergency exit door some weeks later.

FWIW this bus has "Ether Start". A guy that works in the bus barn says the key start won't work because that needs to be repaired.

Tags
cat3208, mt643, rear engine, thomas