Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2017, 03:38 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Viable white-wash options

Hey Skoolie and Skoolettes!

Any thoughts on a product that will let me roll a temporary ( & hopefully easily removable later) down-&-dirty change from Chromium Yellow to some shade a shade less sanctioned school bus?

Just looking to get going to where I'm going to. With it's profile, reduced speed, and all of the aerodynamics of an albacore, I still want to stay as far below the radar as possible!

Can lay hands on some free interior latex, but I'd truly appreciate any feedback from anyone who has already rolled down this road.

Or even sprayed or used a brush...

Old 10-27-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
No prep
A roller
And any FREE paint.
The only thing it will stick to is the rusty area's unless it has time to set and get baked on?
Or black out the school names,stick a temp tag on it or in transit sign over that,lose the stuff you want to be under the radar for and roll it home (not roll it while your on your way home). Leave it at home or finish it before you take your new home! Home!
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Hey Skoolie and Skoolettes!

Any thoughts on a product that will let me roll a temporary ( & hopefully easily removable later) down-&-dirty change from Chromium Yellow to some shade a shade less sanctioned school bus?

J
Plasti Dip?

PLASTI DIP AUTOMOTIVE SPRAY & SPRAY 50-
Plasti Dip Spray and Plasti Dip Spray 50 come in a gallon-sized container to be used for automotive purposes only. With so many colors, it’s easy to customize your car, peel it off, and dip it again!

Cannot be used or sold in these states for Personal use: AZ, CA, RI, and TN
Cannot be used or sold in these states for Professional* use: AZ, CA, RI, TN, DE, MA, MD, NJ, IL, IN, MI, WI, TN, TX, and UT

Cannot be used or sold in Canada and Internationally
*Professional use includes auto body paint shop, dealer, fleet repair, and applicator of products for compensation.

DIRECTIONS

Use adequate ventilation. Mix well before use.

Apply using electric turbine style spray system or an HVLP spray gun with pressure pot system.

All surfaces to be coated must be free of oils, grease, dirt, wax, and loose rust. For best results the surfaces being coated must have a smooth unbroken OEM finish.

SPRAYING

Apply using only compliant / approved HVLP gun (electric turbine style) that meets all local regulations. Keep spray gun 10-12 inches away from surface, applying wet overlapping coats. Allow 10 -30 minutes dry time (dry to the touch) before applying additional coats. A minimum of 5 coats is recommended for best performance and easy removal.

HINTS

Mix Plasti Dip Spray thoroughly before each use and refilling of spray equipment. A dry coating thickness of 10 mils minimum is recommended for best performance and easy removal. Allow 4 hours cure time for each coat applied before using. Avoid excessive air movement, heat and humidity while applying. Always use proper ventilation.

VINYL DECALS / STRIPES

Plasti Dip Spray Colors – suitable for application over most cast or calendered vinyl, cast vinyl with Poly Urethane clear laminated or Poly Urethane clear top coat finish, as well as most Poly Urethane protective films. Applying High Gloss Top Coat over Plasti Dip Spray colors can cause some dulling when combination is applied over cast vinyl.

Plasti Dip Spray Clear – suitable for applications over cast vinyl, cast vinyl with Poly Urethane clear laminated or Poly Urethane clear top coat finish as well as most Poly Urethane protective films. Plasti Dip Spray Clear may cause some dulling of finish when removed from calendered vinyl (there is less UV protection with Plasti Dip Spray Clear than with the Plasti Dip Spray colors).
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Depending on how thorough and durable and removable you want the cover to be -- what about an adhesive-backed vinyl? This place is offering ORACAL 631 in a 24 in x 10 yd roll for USD$19. 10% discount for orders over 5 rolls.

There's no doubt it's more expensive than cheap-to-free paint. It would probably be more work than paint to apply, too, if you are driven to get 100% coverage of the School Bus Yellow and to have no wrinkles. But if coverage from the windows down all the way around is acceptable then you might get "good enough" with 6-7 rolls on a 40 ft bus. This particular product is supposed to remove cleanly and easily for 2 years. I can't imagine even poorly-prepped paint is going to come off clean easier than this.

Vinyl is available in other sizes too. From this particular vendor the 15 in x 50 yd is the cheapest at $0.27/sqft, but the 24 in x 50 yd and the 30 in x 50 yd at $0.28/sqft would probably get the job done faster.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Depending on how thorough and durable and removable you want the cover to be -- what about an adhesive-backed vinyl? This place is offering ORACAL 631 in a 24 in x 10 yd roll for USD$19. 10% discount for orders over 5 rolls.
Wow. Thanks- that's very good stuff and good price.

You cut vinyl , too ? I just bot a ton of 30" reflective 3M if you want your bus to REALLY stand out.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
No problem. I was thinking about Plasti-dip too, but I have a perception of it being surprisingly expensive so I didn't even try to estimate it.

If appearance matters, I expect novice-applied Plasti-dip will turn out much better than a slap-it-on job with the vinyl. IMHO a half-hearted job dressing up a bus in either of these makes the bus stand out even more than it would in plain yellow, but if the concern is mostly about being stopped or even impounded for operating a non-school bus colored yellow, either of these might be an easy-on easy-off fix.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:10 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Cannot be used or sold in these states for Professional* use: AZ, CA, RI, TN, DE, MA, MD, NJ, IL, IN, MI, WI, TN, TX, and UT

What the what what? Cannot be used or sold in Canada? The local hardware store must be illegally peddling some bootleg Plastidip! That's a really strange message. I wonder why they have so many restrictions? It must be made of some sort of evil incarnate..
Old 10-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I noticed recently that most of the auto parts stores now sell rattle cans of "removable" paint including "Rustoleum "Peel Coat".
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
If "not yellow" is your only goal perhaps auto primer may be the ticket. Relatively cheap and will not have to be removed prior to your permanent paint job.

Just a thought...
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
No prep
A roller
And any FREE paint.
The only thing it will stick to is the rusty area's unless it has time to set and get baked on?
Or black out the school names,stick a temp tag on it or in transit sign over that,lose the stuff you want to be under the radar for and roll it home (not roll it while your on your way home). Leave it at home or finish it before you take your new home! Home!
Arrrrr, me hearty!

Thanx for taking the time for your answer.

The names've already been blanked, & it's at home already.

In several days' time, it'll BE home for me, as I'm relocating in it to TX.

Sound advice not rolling paint while rolling down the road. Might be expecting too much from the cruise control! [emoji85] [emoji463]
Old 10-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Plasti Dip?

PLASTI DIP AUTOMOTIVE SPRAY & SPRAY 50-
Plasti Dip Spray and Plasti Dip Spray 50 come in a gallon-sized container to be used for automotive purposes only. With so many colors, it’s easy to customize your car, peel it off, and dip it again!

*Professional use includes auto body paint shop, dealer, fleet repair, and applicator of products for compensation.

DIRECTIONS

Use adequate ventilation. Mix well before use.

Apply using electric turbine style spray system or an HVLP spray gun with pressure pot system.

All surfaces to be coated must be free of oils, grease, dirt, wax, and loose rust. For best results the surfaces being coated must have a smooth unbroken OEM finish.

SPRAYING

Apply using only compliant / approved HVLP gun (electric turbine style) that meets all local regulations. Keep spray gun 10-12 inches away from surface, applying wet overlapping coats. Allow 10 -30 minutes dry time (dry to the touch) before applying additional coats. A minimum of 5 coats is recommended for best performance and easy removal.

HINTS

Mix Plasti Dip Spray thoroughly before each use and refilling of spray equipment. A dry coating thickness of 10 mils minimum is recommended for best performance and easy removal. Allow 4 hours cure time for each coat applied before using. Avoid excessive air movement, heat and humidity while applying. Always use proper ventilation.

VINYL DECALS / STRIPES

Plasti Dip Spray Colors – suitable for application over most cast or calendered vinyl, cast vinyl with Poly Urethane clear laminated or Poly Urethane clear top coat finish, as well as most Poly Urethane protective films. Applying High Gloss Top Coat over Plasti Dip Spray colors can cause some dulling when combination is applied over cast vinyl.

Plasti Dip Spray Clear – suitable for applications over cast vinyl, cast vinyl with Poly Urethane clear laminated or Poly Urethane clear top coat finish as well as most Poly Urethane protective films. Plasti Dip Spray Clear may cause some dulling of finish when removed from calendered vinyl (there is less UV protection with Plasti Dip Spray Clear than with the Plasti Dip Spray colors).
hmmm... We seem to have disparate definitions for the phrase, down n dirty!

Great gouge, tho. I will definitely be coming back to that most excellently detailed description when the time's right to detail Das properly!

!Muchos gracias, amigo!
Old 10-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post

There's no doubt it's more expensive than cheap-to-free paint. It would probably be more work than paint to apply, too, if you are driven to get 100% coverage of the School Bus Yellow and to have no wrinkles. But if coverage from the windows down all the way around is acceptable then you might get "good enough" with 6-7 rolls on a 40 ft bus. This particular product is supposed to remove cleanly and easily for 2 years. I can't imagine even poorly-prepped paint is going to come off clean easier than this.

Vinyl is available in other sizes too. From this particular vendor the 15 in x 50 yd is the cheapest at $0.27/sqft, but the 24 in x 50 yd and the 30 in x 50 yd at $0.28/sqft would probably get the job done faster.
Wow, that is too kewl! Thanx for your comprehensively helpful input!

Too bad it isn't vended offline; that stuff would be quick, good looking, & cover a multitude of sins.

If I were slightly more geeky, or less self conscious, I betcha a person could fab up the Partridge Family bus exterior in short order!
Old 10-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
What the what what? Cannot be used or sold in Canada? The local hardware store must be illegally peddling some bootleg Plastidip! That's a really strange message. I wonder why they have so many restrictions? It must be made of some sort of evil incarnate..
"Made of evil incarnate"?

At least now I know what my ex is doing these days...
Old 10-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I noticed recently that most of the auto parts stores now sell rattle cans of "removable" paint including "Rustoleum "Peel Coat".
That's something new! I appreciate the heads-up on a useful sounding product.

D'ya reckon I could effect the desired melanin change on my 8-window with under 2 cases worth..? [emoji6]
Old 10-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
If "not yellow" is your only goal perhaps auto primer may be the ticket. Relatively cheap and will not have to be removed prior to your permanent paint job.

Just a thought...
Ding ding ding ding!

Dammit, THAT is the solution to my immediate concerns!!!

Now then, if you'll excuse me, I need to bust a foot off in my ass- kicking myself hard for not thinking of it myself.

D'oh [emoji845]
Old 11-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Yup, that's what I've already started. I'm too busy working on the inside and it's starting to get really cold outside, so this is the ticket. I'll just have to wait until I get in a warmer climate to do the paint job

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2017, 06:07 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
Yup, that's what I've already started. I'm too busy working on the inside and it's starting to get really cold outside, so this is the ticket. I'll just have to wait until I get in a warmer climate to do the paint job

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
That's pretty much my plan. Had to cover that distinctive color to GET to that lower latitude, first.

The primer cured darker than expected...

I'm thinking her name is Turquoise Tortoise
Old 11-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Mine is getting painted light ford grey, paint from tractor supply, being done with foam rollers
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #19
Almost There

I want to try vinyl.

I'll buy full rolls instead of trying to use someone's scrap.

I know it needs good prep and a smooth surface to go on looking like paint but my standards aren't that high. I'll do as much prep as I can stand and then slap it on.

There are lots of YouTube videos showing how it's done. The difficult parts are curved panels and cheap vinyl that doesn't like being repositioned. Luckily a flat nose bus doesn't have many compound curves and soapy water helps with repositioning.

I bet it's the best looking option short of spraying automotive grade paint in a huge booth.
Drop out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #20
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop out View Post
I want to try vinyl.

I'll buy full rolls instead of trying to use someone's scrap.

I know it needs good prep and a smooth surface to go on looking like paint but my standards aren't that high. I'll do as much prep as I can stand and then slap it on.
Think of the rivets. So many seams and rivets. Rub rails.

Full-rolls and someone's scrap are not mutually exclusive. I just bought half dozen full 50 yd rolls. Reflective.