Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC bus
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 35C24A
Wanted: 6-ish windows, 2004-2009, western US

Reposting my wish list as a new thread now that we know more about what we want...
The ideal bus:

---- 6 windows (could go 7)
---- International prefered (only van cutaway we would consider is one with a long bodied 6 window collins/ mid bus/ us bus. Really need 14 feet of buildable length minimum.)
---- 2004-2009 (due to Mexican importation restrictions. I am now a mex resident)
---- Anywhere in western US. I visit family in WA but will pickup or ship from anywhere West of the CO to TX line.
---- price... Well after my other criteria I can't be too picky, but reasonable for what it is.

Tall order, I know but I've seen this forum pull off some great finds.
Any info would be a huge help.

Tyania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #2

Mexico

Stay tuned. I just might have 5 such units at a VERY low price available shortly. My email wcmortimer@earthlink.net
Runningboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If I were BOUND to only buy a bus from those years I'd get a van cutaway with a 6.0 gasser engine. Cream of the late model crop, imo.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If I were BOUND to only buy a bus from those years I'd get a van cutaway with a 6.0 gasser engine. Cream of the late model crop, imo.
Tricky... I haven't seen a gas engine with the longer 6 window body. We desperately need that space. Even with 5 windows or long bodied shuttles, I haven't seen one I could afford that didn't have too many miles for a gasser. But... If it was gas, I could go pre 2004 (that rule is only for diesels).

We plan to live and travel the length of the americas so, It seems that a good diesel is a better bet to avoid thousand+ dollar surprise repairs. I say that from the limited knowledge I have so I could be dellusional.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
Bus Geek

With a 2006 and up diesel you run the real risk of needing RIDICULOUSLY expensive parts and repairs.
Newer diesel engines are SO BAD that lots of schools are using other fuels in new buses. If its got egr and or exhaust fluid, I wouldn't want to "travel the americas" in it. The older the diesel engine the better.
The gm 6.0 gas engine in my boss' work truck is powerful, efficient, and DURABLE. Its low-maintenance, and its got over 250,000 miles on it. 99.99999% of those miles are with it pulling huge trailers. Engine is still going strong. I'd take that over any new diesel.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
With a 2006 and up diesel you run the real risk of needing RIDICULOUSLY expensive parts and repairs.
Newer diesel engines are SO BAD that lots of schools are using other fuels in new buses. If its got egr and or exhaust fluid, I wouldn't want to "travel the americas" in it. The older the diesel engine the better.
Thank you for the input. I am still looking at cutaways but may need to move into the conventional bus style for space. Any particular engines/makes that I should look for or avoid in particular in that year range. I am not familiar with egr nor exhuast fluid... Care to enlighten an ignorant bus fan?
Old 07-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the ford V10s arent bad busses.. and are gassers.. I dont see them in skoolies but are in a lot of cutaway shuttles.. cutaway shuttles seem to come in longer lengths than the school bus cutaways

theres more than one shuttle conversion on here..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #8
Skoolie

International/ic shorties out there... 2004 or later?

So I have been scouring the internet for both gas school buses and for a shuttle conversion that look good... No luck with gas school bus and I just cant get into the shuttle idea for a mix of some valid and (admittedly a few) superficial reasons... One superficial one being that some of my toddler's first words where an excited rant about how we should get a school bus and "open the door! "..."papa drive it!". This is how it all started. He is the true skoolie!

So I am back to the conventional buses and still stuck by law to the 2004 and later year.
Anyhow, I will leave this thread for the wanted classified in case any intenational/ic shorties come up... Fingers crossed... And I will start a thread to try to learn a bit about what I have to choose from within my criteria so I know what is the best and worst mechanical options for me.
Thanks guys for your help. Let me know if your have further thoughts. Even when I don't follow up on your suggestions, they are really helpful just the same.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:33 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Hey Tyania,

I will be keeping an eye out for a bus that fits what you want. If, in your search, you should see pre-2004 5-7 window conventionals please yell at me.

Thanks

S.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Hey Tyania,

I will be keeping an eye out for a bus that fits what you want. If, in your search, you should see pre-2004 5-7 window conventionals please yell at me.

S.
That is easy... There are 3 5 window international up for auction on publicsurplus right now. I think they are in Arizona and 1998s.
Will keep letting you know what I see. Where are you?
Old 07-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyania View Post
That is easy... There are 3 5 window international up for auction on publicsurplus right now. I think they are in Arizona and 1998s.
Thank you. I will take a look at them.

I am in Washington State.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Thank you. I will take a look at them.

I am in Washington State.
Oh! Hey Steve. I hadn't noticed that was your post. Good, we are on the search together.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyania View Post
Vistas.
I'd hold out for a FULL size chassis.