Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: sturdivan
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3l IDI
Rated Cap: 10,000lbs
Post wanted; pre-95 5 window bus, 7.3l

Hi,
I'm in the SF bay area of Ca and I'm looking for a pre-95 5 window short bus with 7.3L engine. Is this even reasonable? I saw one on craigs list a while back but I wasn't organized enough and smart enough yet to look at it.

alpinekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinekid View Post
Hi,
I'm in the SF bay area of Ca and I'm looking for a pre-95 5 window short bus with 7.3L engine. Is this even reasonable? I saw one on craigs list a while back but I wasn't organized enough and smart enough yet to look at it.
I went and looked at a 6 window bus on conventional frame with a 7.3 IDI in the north Denver area a month or two ago. It was all mechanical and pre-turbo, so I believe it would have had to have been pre-95. So I think they are around. You can check Denver CL to see if its still listed if you need a comparison point.
Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
You didn't mention, were you looking for a van body cutaway 5 window, or a conventional frame shorty 5 window?
Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
Skoolie

oops, cut away van body, it thinks it would be a E350 or E450.
actually I'm not sure why I prefer one over the other. I thought that with a van body it would be easier to get parts and cheaper to tow since it would just be a "regular van" with a different body.

What is the current thinking on this?
Old 03-12-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
Skoolie

thank you for the info
Old 03-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinekid View Post
oops, cut away van body, it thinks it would be a E350 or E450.
actually I'm not sure why I prefer one over the other. I thought that with a van body it would be easier to get parts and cheaper to tow since it would just be a "regular van" with a different body.

What is the current thinking on this?
I'm hunting a mid-size bus myself right now (hence why I'm looking in this section). Something 6 to 8 window. But I'd go bigger if it was the right bus.

I prefer the regular chassis (big truck) over the van type.
My reasons are I like sitting up higher. Can haul greater loads. Pull better with hitch. They seem to be built tougher. Bit easier to work on because more room.

But the van type drives nicer and is easier to park and tow. I've had both and liked both.

Parts are about the same for either.

I had one of the van type that I fixed up like a 70's custom hippie van inside. Had a hitch on the back and pulled my fishing boat. Great for camping and fishing. It was my daily driver.
CH777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:05 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH777 View Post
I prefer the regular chassis (big truck) over the van type... They seem to be built tougher.
Aye!

Quote:
Bit easier to work on because more room.
Aye, aye! I have an International short bus on a proper medium duty frame and my friend has an E350 short bus which I've been helping him work on. Both are about the same width and my short bus is a couple feet longer.
The difference in repairability is astounding! I can reach my arm around the entire engine in my bus. To do any major work on the engine in his van chassis bus you have to pull it out, which means disassembling the whole front end.
Both vehicles have reasonable ground clearance, but the full size frame is still easier to work on. I can sit mostly upright under my bus when working on it. I have to lay down to work under the van.

Quote:
But the van type drives nicer and is easier to park and tow. I've had both and liked both.
The van is a softer ride, that's for certain. Interestingly, my bus is easier to park. The turning radius on my short bus is significantly better than the van chassis bus and I have more, bigger mirrors.

Quote:
Parts are about the same for either.
Also agree with this.

Tags
7.3l diesel, bus, wanted