Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-25-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
BartStephens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 37
Year: TBD?
Coachwork: Looking...
Chassis: TBD
Engine: Seeking Rear Engine...
Rated Cap: Looking for <40'
Wanted: Rear-Engine under 40' Length

In the market for a school bus to convert. I want to find a rear-engine "pusher" under 40' in length. Been very hard to find. I've focused on Thomas HDX, but would consider anything that is in sound mechanical shape.

Any leads appreciated.

Thanks,
Bart
BartStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Dapplecreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: near Christiansburg VA
Posts: 692
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Lots of buses on govdeals.com - see https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...ctid=894#media for an example. I have no idea if it's mechanically sound, but it's one state over and is what appears to be an under-40-foot pusher.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
BartStephens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 37
Year: TBD?
Coachwork: Looking...
Chassis: TBD
Engine: Seeking Rear Engine...
Rated Cap: Looking for <40'
Thanks! Good lead.

Ceiling height,...I've been told that if the top of the windows are below the top of the door glass, it has a low roof. But maybe that only applied to Thomas HDXs. Can you tell anything about ceiling height based on this listing?


Any tips on how to watch that GovDeals site efficiently? I can't get in there to browse everyday.
BartStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,555
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartStephens View Post
Thanks! Good lead.

Ceiling height,...I've been told that if the top of the windows are below the top of the door glass, it has a low roof. But maybe that only applied to Thomas HDXs. Can you tell anything about ceiling height based on this listing?


Any tips on how to watch that GovDeals site efficiently? I can't get in there to browse everyday.
Open an account there, once signed in you can put items on your "watch list". They will notify you shortly before the auction ends.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,394
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartStephens View Post
In the market for a school bus to convert. I want to find a rear-engine "pusher" under 40' in length. Been very hard to find. I've focused on Thomas HDX, but would consider anything that is in sound mechanical shape.

Any leads appreciated.

Thanks,
Bart
Shoulda jumped on one of the NICE Thomas RE's that just sold cheap on Public Surplus. They were short RE's, too.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
BartStephens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 37
Year: TBD?
Coachwork: Looking...
Chassis: TBD
Engine: Seeking Rear Engine...
Rated Cap: Looking for <40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Shoulda jumped on one of the NICE Thomas RE's that just sold cheap on Public Surplus. They were short RE's, too.


Do you know what school district they were from? Any links to finished auctions?
BartStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,555
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartStephens View Post
Do you know what school district they were from? Any links to finished auctions?
When you open your account you will be able to search old auctions. The listing will tell you what school district they are from.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,394
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartStephens View Post
Do you know what school district they were from? Any links to finished auctions?
I don't have links but they were in Aurora. I've bought a bus from that yard before. Maybe one or two will be relisted, that happens sometimes.
They take good care of their buses and they bus nice stuff.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Would you be interested in a RE Thomas that has been garaged it's entire life that is located in NW Washington? It would be rust free? A long ways to drive to drive, but excellent bus.
mrmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hdx, rear engine, seekingschoolie, thomas, wanted

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×