Old 07-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #1

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: SuperCoach Tandem
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Turbo
Rated Cap: 90
WANTED: Tandem 80's Crown

I've been searching for the perfect Crown for a year or so now, I had a deal all lined up through CL, but the seller backed out at the last minute (They decided they loved the bus too much to let it go). Now that my broken heart has healed, I have cash in hand and I am looking for the perfect bus.

Here are my requirements:
  • 1980's Crown Supercoach (Late 70s or very early 90s maybe acceptable)
  • Original Exterior (ie. no removed windows, doors, etc)
  • Must be 40' Bus with Tandem rear Axle
  • Must have Turbo 6-71 Detroit Diesel
  • Must Be mechanically sound
  • Must have Heat and A/C
  • Must have good Glass
  • Prefer Automatic transmission, but would settle for 10 speed
  • Prefer less than 300K miles
  • Reasonably Priced

Please PM me if you are looking to sell, or if you know of a bus that meets these requirements.
Schoole8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II pusher
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
My friend's tandem that he recently sold checked all those boxes except for A/C. Finding a Crown with factory A/C narrows down the field considerably. Another friend of mine has a 855 tandem with RTO and A/C, but they're rare buses at best. Good luck!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Factory installed A/C will be impossible to find. There were only a handful of A/C Crowns built for desert school districts, and I only know of one left in existence. Also, automatic transmissions were not common with 6/71 powered tandems because the bus is so heavy. A twin-drive tandem typically weighs about 4000 lbs more than a 36' single axle Crown.

So it may take a few compromises on your requirements, but hopefully you can find something close.

Cheers,

Dave
cascade crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Good luck on getting those exact specs
Old 07-23-2017, 04:04 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
So, do you have a Crown? What is it? We'd all like to see it in your profile. I know of two factory A/C Tandem Crowns (school buses, and that means something) built for a desert district. I have one, and I know where the twin to it is. Both run just fine.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 198x
Coachwork: Crown & MCI
Chassis: 40ft Tandem/40ft MC-9 Tag
Engine: Cummins 855 BCT/6V92TA, RTO-910/HT-740
Rated Cap: 47,000lb/38,000lb GVWR
Hey Crown_Guy, good to see you popping up every now and then.

Yeah, I only know of a certain set of twin Crown school buses that had factory A/C. (And man, what sweet buses those are!) I also know that there was at least one other tandem Crown made that had factory A/C but it was originally a transit style instead of a school bus. I believe it is still being used, or at least was up to a year or so ago for some non-profit veterans thing.

Bottom line is that your list of wants isn't very realistic.

I'd say if you want a tandem Crown that hasn't been molested inside drop off a few requirements. You'll prefer the 855 over the 6-71 in a bus that big. Also, if you must have automatic I've seen some with an Alison HT740, but really, the RR manual 10-speeds are more fun.

Good luck on your search and let us know what you find!
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if A/C ios the only thing stopping you, then add it unless you are making it a show-bus where everything has to be factory original.

Bus A/C is pretty generic, bracketry systems makes compressor brackets for about anything made.. Burgaflex and easton EZ_clip lines and fittings are designed ot be installed without special tools.. size your condensor and evaporator appropriately.. bolt it all together.. take it to a shop and have it Evac and charged (unless you know someone with the tools to do it).
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #8

Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: SuperCoach Tandem
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Turbo
Rated Cap: 90
Updates

Thanks everyone who has posted responses. I've received a lot of feedback between this forum and a few Facebook groups. The constructive feedback all seems to point in the same direction.

I should be looking for a Tandem with a Turbo 855 Cummins, instead of the Turbo 6-71 Detroit. The 855 has more power and is necessary for highway driving with the tandem Crowns. Especially after the conversion is complete and I've added substantial weight.

Another point of contention has been the request for a automatic transmission. I actually prefer a manual, but I thought an automatic would be nice for my wife and other family and friends. However, In the future I'll be focusing on the 855 Cummins and any transmission will be acceptable.

Also, I've learned that factory A/C is not common enough to have it be on my list of requirements. As CadallicKid suggested it can always be added to the engine, or roof top units can be used.

Again, thank you to everyone who has helped with my Crown search.

Schoole8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:37 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I think your adjusted requirements make a lot of sense. Factory installed A/C and under 300K are not likely matches to find. I wouldn't limit your search to 855 Cummins tandems, though. That engine was an expensive option over the standard Detroit, so they are rare. It might take two years of searching to find one. Detroit 6/71 tandems with the 10 speed Road Ranger perform fine. The relative power deficit only really shows up on steep mountain roads. If you live in an area where climbing mountain passes isn't a common occurrence, then a Detroit tandem would be fine - and a lot easier to find.

Good luck with your search!

Dave
cascade crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II pusher
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
My friend's turbo Detroit Crown tandem with a non-overdrive 10-speed and 4.1 axles (now sold) made it up Tehachapi out of Bakersfield in 9th until he had to slow for a truck. However, its seats were already stripped out, so that's at least half a ton less just there. If you're going to add weight to a Crown, such as doing a full conversion with it, you'll need the extra torque from a 14-liter Cummins. I imagine a fully-converted Detroit tandem with a full load of water and supplies would be slow, but with twice the torque a Big-Cam Cummins doesn't slow much for anything! A few weeks ago several of us were coming back up Cajon Pass in my friend's RTO tandem Crown (with factory A/C!) and we were needing to slow for cars ahead of us while climbing the 6% grade. Fun! You realize at times like that how a 30-year-old Crown or Gillig is still in a league of its own when compared to modern disposabuses with their little pickup truck engines. Nothing beats cubic inches for getting uphill.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus, crown, supercoach