Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2017, 10:47 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
WANTED: TransAir Condenser 301362

im looking for a TransAir skirt mount condenser with the coil in good shape (fans I dont care about but I want them there)...

the model number im seeking is a 301362

these were used on a LOT of busses if someone happens to be taking one off..

working on an experimental bench project..

-Christopher

cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
OMG! What is Chris up to now? (can't wait to see) Maybe an intercooler for the underdash Perkins diesel that drives his defroster?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
Bus Geek

its twofold.. partly its a bench project to see if the already-installed A/C condensers that people are ripping off their busses can be converted to engine oil / tranny coolers.. esp as the newer IHC VT-365 and Msxx-force 7 busses start coming out of the field.. those 2 engines get a a Horrible rap but their big issues is over-heated oil...

I chose that condenser number as after my experiment is done its the same A/C condenser thats in my RedByrd and is not manufactured by TransAir anymore so it would be a spare..

I *AM* looking to add custom Dash A/C to Redbyrd as its unit is in the back of the bus so for me to stay nice N cool I tend to freeze out the friends in the seats..

-Christopher
Old 01-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Very interesting. I have been wondering about some similar options as I have to build in significant cooling for my 2200 Allison. Been looking at combining large inline coolers before and after the tranny plus a primary with a fan. Most of the OEM and aftermarket coolers are quite pricey so I will definitely be following this thread and your experiments. The other issue is simply space and where to hang all the cooling items I need (rad, trans, oil, A/C). The narrow nose (and frame) on this old Art Deco Chevy makes cramming much up front a real challenge.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
Bus Geek

your A/C doesnt have to be upfront even if you just want dash / driver A/C and not to cool the whole bus whilke driving.. a single fan skirt mount condenser would do you perfect for that and not require anything but the compressor under the hood. a stanbdard sanden / TM-16 compressor will have plenty of capacity and brackets for that 4BT should be everywhere.

-Christopher
Old 01-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #6
Bus Geek

I have the compressor & bracket mounted but have just about used up all the skirt area (did I mention this thing is tiny?). Might have one spot that I could put a set of coils but it might have to lay flat. I figure if the fan is mounted up under the floor and directed to blow down through the fins, it is a little less likely to fill up with road grime too fast. Still not sure how much actual area I need as far as the fins/coils. The compressor is an FS10 off an '02 Ford Expedition.

PS...there are plenty of condensers online but I have not been able to get any measurements for them.