Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2018, 06:18 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwf71 View Post
I removed a webasto system from my 2006 Bluebird vision. I test ran it before removal and it heated right up. I removed and have a complete system, boiler, water pump, rear heater core and dual fan assy, programmable 7 day timer, wire harness, even have the fuel pickup and filter. Oh , also have the original owner/installation/user manual with wiring diagrams , trouble shooting , etc. Make offer, pickup only in SE Iowa. Rick
Would love it ... can't afford it

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
I removed a webasto system from my 2006 Bluebird vision. I test ran it before removal and it heated right up. I removed and have a complete system, boiler, water pump, rear heater core and dual fan assy, programmable 7 day timer, wire harness, even have the fuel pickup and filter. Oh , also have the original owner/installation/user manual with wiring diagrams , trouble shooting , etc. Make offer, pickup only in SE Iowa. Rick
Thanks for posting.

I found one on eBay a few months ago. Unfortunately it is not as complete as what you are offering.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:22 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

PNW Steve, yeah I know its an old thread but thought you might still be looking. Do you mind my asking what the ebay unit set you back ? Rick
rwf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:20 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
PNW Steve, yeah I know its an old thread but thought you might still be looking. Do you mind my asking what the ebay unit set you back ? Rick
I appreciate you checking.

I paid $495 shipped to me.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
I'm still interested in picking up a coolant heater. What is its model?
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:18 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I appreciate you checking.

I paid $495 shipped to me.
Thank you PNW Steve, I wasn't sure what the value of a good used working unit might be. Rick
Old 05-13-2018, 12:27 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
I'm still interested in picking up a coolant heater. What is its model?
Hi MarkyDee, The Webesto Thermosystems installation,operation & spare parts manual for the unit calls it "The Scholastic Series Bus Heater" for Blue Bird conventional model. Rick
Old 05-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Hi MarkyDee, The Webesto Thermosystems installation,operation & spare parts manual for the unit calls it "The Scholastic Series Bus Heater" for Blue Bird conventional model. Rick
most of the ones ive seen are variants of the TSL-17. I am seeing I got incredibly to have bought one new in the box with the complete install kit 2 years ago for $250 or so .. of course I have yet to install it.. grrr lol..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:03 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
The new cost of those units is around $2500.

They are coolant heaters that will perform two functions. They will pre-heat the engine for easier cold starts, and they will either pre-heat, or supplement the output from the passenger heaters and the defroster.

If you want to use it for heating the bus while not driving, you need to either retain the original heaters or replace them with something similar.

Also, it would make sense to adjust the plumbing so that the entire output of the heater goes to the internal heaters. You do not need to be heating the engine when you are not planning to drive anywhere.

Webasto, Eberspacher (Espar) and Planar also make diesel heaters that produce blown hot air, with the option of adding engine coolant heating if you want it.

Planar are the new kids on the block and have the lowest price. Reliability seems to be good so far.

Build Thread
Old 05-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Thanks, Twigg, for your apt description. Yea, I'm seeing listings on eBay for those scholastic heaters at $2500 new.

For me, I would be installing it in a coach bus, so some of those directions aren't quite applicable to me. However, I do need to follow the spirit of those instructions to "stay safe".

rwf71, I'm interested in buying it, but I don't have $2500 (or even $1500) for it right now. You'd probably do better selling it to someone else or over eBay.

And cadillackid - just install it already....
Old 05-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Thanks, Twigg, for your apt description. Yea, I'm seeing listings on eBay for those scholastic heaters at $2500 new.

For me, I would be installing it in a coach bus, so some of those directions aren't quite applicable to me. However, I do need to follow the spirit of those instructions to "stay safe".

rwf71, I'm interested in buying it, but I don't have $2500 (or even $1500) for it right now. You'd probably do better selling it to someone else or over eBay.

And cadillackid - just install it already....
To MarkyDee and any one else interested. I want to give the most accurate description I can of things. My bus came from a rural school district in Illinois where it spent a large portion of it's life on gravel roads. I know they hadn't been using the webasto for a while because the bus has an electric block heater and the webasto was not working when I purchased the bus. The boiler unit and water pump were installed in a compartment under the bus together on a common "mounting base/platform" made of steel, (I hope some of you familiar with these units will understand what I'm describing). Gravel dust (limestone dust) had filtered into the compartment and was an inch or more deep on the mounting base and had drawn enough moisture to be set like weak concrete. A quick visual inspection revealed one of the wires running from the 12v water pump to the control module had corroded off and was hanging loose. I repaired this wire and after reading the manual pressed the button on the programmable controlled for instant heat, boiler came on and lit right up, a few seconds later the water pump came on and began circulating coolant. I went outside to check boiler unit, all looked fine and by the time I got back in the bus the heater cores were already getting pretty hot. Things ran a few minutes then shut off, ( I presume it satisfied a Hi temp set point ) after a few minutes of "off time" it restarted on it's own as it had when I first pressed the instant heat button, ( I presume the system had cooled enough to drop temp to the "turn on" point again.)
After this test run I determined the system to be good for someone wanting one of these systems so I set about removing it as intact as possible so the next guy would have a complete system he could get up and working a easily as I could make it.
The only thing I think needs further description is the steel mounting base the boiler and water pump share. Remember the gravel dust concrete in the webasto compartment ? Apparently the paint on this base (if there was paint) must have been crap because the yellow bus paint on the compartment floor is almost perfect but the webasto base is rusty and pitted fairly deep (it was buried in the lime dust). I my opinion it is plenty usable as is but the next owner may want to repaint or replace the base plate. Every other part of the system is in good shape, I don't see the rusty base as a problem myself but I want anyone interested to be aware of it.
I would let this complete set up go for $500.00 cash and you pick it up.

Thanks , Rick
Old 05-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
I would let this complete set up go for $500.00 cash and you pick it up.

Thanks , Rick
That's a very good price. Good luck with it.

Build Thread
Old 05-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
That's a very good price. Good luck with it.
Thanks Twigg, I would be tickled if I could give a fellow schoolie person a deal on something they want and I could sure use the cash towards batteries for my solar system,(I have most every thing else). Rick
Old 05-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

my mistake

I just checked out MarkyDee's build thread and I see he has a coach and not a schoolie. But I also see he calls himself a "bus nut" so he's probably got it bad as me Rick
Old 05-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Haha, the "bus nut" part is because I've posted quite a few messages.

I wouldn't mind a crack at making that webasto work properly. I'll PM you to set everything up.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Haha, the "bus nut" part is because I've posted quite a few messages.

I wouldn't mind a crack at making that webasto work properly. I'll PM you to set everything up.
MarkyDee and I worked out plans to meet up this weekend and transfer ownership of the webasto set-up. I'll soon be battery shopping ! Rick
Old 05-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #37
Bus Nut

Old 05-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Same to you Sir !