Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

What's Your Thoughts on This Bus???

Hoping you guys can give me some feedback on this bus I found on OfferUp that isn't too far away from me.

First off, I know everyone on here says to get a diesel instead of gas, totally get that. Reason I'm even considering this bus is it has under 100,000 miles and at least for the next year or two, I'm not going to be full-time. This will be used for hauling kayaks and paddleboards maybe an hour and a half away to SW Michigan beaches, maybe a 10 hour drive up to the UP a couple times a summer to go camping, etc.

I realize the life won't be as long as gas mileage won't be as good but I'm likely not going to be going cross country and I like how cheap it is. I feel like if I spent 5k on a bus I'd be hesitant to do any work myself fearing I'd screw something up but for $2200 its a bit more like oh well.

I figured I could get my feet wet and do my own conversion, take some road trips and down the road sell the thing, recoup most of my money and then get my forever bus.

Any known problems with the engines on these or any reason I definitely shouldn't consider buying this bus outside of itjust being a gas engine?

https://offerup.com/item/detail/3209...90123493637446
Attached Thumbnails
bus5.jpg   bus4.jpg   bus3.jpg   bus2.jpg   bus1.jpg  

rulesforrebels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

You're right; that's not a lot of money. As with any bus, don't expect to get it back on the other end. How much tuition are you willing to pay at the school for skoolies? If you buy this now, your 2nd conversion will be great! If you can afford it.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:10 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford E350
Rated Cap: 16
I have a similar size bus with a similar engine. Half the price.

That ad is 7 months old, sure it is even still available?
Horst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #4
Skoolie

Sketchy description....... looks like being used for storage, trash strewn on floor. NOT GOOD SIGNS.
Lots of these things around. Bet ya can find one close. And a better one.

As far as gas vs diesel = a small block 350 is a solid engine. CHEAP & EASY to fix if need be. Parts easy to get everywhere.

In that size and type bus, I vote get a gas engine. The diff in fuel costs is far out weighed by the upside of having the common, dependable & easy to fix & maintain small block.

I never liked "offer up". Seems full of old and worthless ads.
Craigslist and some patience will usually let you score something worthwhile.
CH777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus, gas, school bus, short bus