Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2011, 02:45 AM   #1

Where to start?

We currently live and Anchorage Alaska, and have had zero luck trying to get employment on the north slope. Last week we found out about the oil boom in North Dakota. Now we are trying any way possible for my husband to have some where to sleep. Every where is booked so we need to have something on wheels. We don't want to spend more than 2 grand on the bus, as we have no clue about anything, or what we should be looking for. Is there anyone that is willing to rent out there bus to us, or give us really good insight, or is selling a realiable bus? Please help us, we would like him to be down there before spring time, so he wouldn't have as much competition. Thanks in advance.

livingourdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Re: Where to start?

Well...does it have to be a bus? Much as I hate to say it, you might be better off with a regular RV. Do you currently have a vehicle?
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

Halfway through your post I thought the same thing that Jaraxle posted - why a bus necessarily?
If your total budget is $2000 for a habitable vehicle that will reliably travel from Anchorage to North Dakota, seems a bit tight. Hard to buy a decent bus and rig it for living at that price, I'd think.

Tom
Old 11-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Tough to just buy a (roadworthy) bus for $2000, period, never mind converting it!
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

I dont want to discourage you but you WILL pay at least $900 a month to park a vehicle in ND. I have friends do that right now. Grant it, you will make a ton of money, but you will spend a ton too. Its all about ratios.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I'm told Hobbs NM is booming (oil fields also). That whole basin is booming (Permian Oil Basin). Gets hot during the summer but winters are fairly mild. Not much snow, mostly overnight freezing temps (its a desert out here). NM has state income taxes. TX does not. Prices are pretty decent. Checkout the campground on http://www.campgroundreviews.com for an idea as to site costs. Bear in mind you will be seeing mosty nightly costs so you will need to look for the monthly rates on the campground websites. Or you will have to e-mail or call for monthly rates.

This is not a hard and fast rule but I have found that you can often multiply the nightly cost by 12 or 13 and come real close to monthly rates. It's good for a general idea. Don't forget that RV's can often stay in mobile home parks (you may have to get your own electric and cable)
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtd
Halfway through your post I thought the same thing that Jaraxle posted - why a bus necessarily?
If your total budget is $2000 for a habitable vehicle that will reliably travel from Anchorage to North Dakota, seems a bit tight. Hard to buy a decent bus and rig it for living at that price, I'd think.

Tom
I have to agree with these guys. Based on what you wrote in your posting, you might be better off getting a cheap RV. Especially if this it to be a temporary dwelling, I think the RV will hold it's resale value better than a bus that you would convert.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:41 AM   #8

Thanks for your insights. We were planning on buying one in the lower 48 as getting it down there would be breaking the bank. We have also thought about converting a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan that we currently own. We are really desparate to get him down there as his unemployment may end in January. We were thinking on buying a school bus, because we hope to be on the road full time in a few years.
livingourdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

http://vandwellers.org/
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Re: Where to start? At the beginning...

The van site is great. I have and use several buses, but the site has lots of ideas. Thank you very much. I will share the site with others. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote