Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Wtb crown coach

Pre conversion please, running preferable.
Jay

jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayster View Post
Pre conversion please, running preferable.
Jay

If you fill out your user profile we could probably give you more precise answers.

There is a nice looking one on Ebby Island by the gun club. It's a 40' tandem with a 671T. The gent is using it for storage and is willing to sell.

I was told that it came from Whidbey School district. I bet Cowlitz could tell you more about it.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:48 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Soon as I figure ti out, will do.
In the mean time, Im looking to buy a Crown, as stated, pre conversion.

Jay
Old 05-26-2019, 06:26 PM   #4
Bus Geek

The one I mentioned is a good looking bus with one of the more desirable engines.

The Cummins 220 I becoming difficult to find parts for. The Detriot 671 that is in this bus still has good parts availability and they are a very simple engine compared to the modern four strokes.

Good luck with your quest.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:27 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Soon as I figure ti out, will do.
In the mean time, Im looking to buy a Crown, as stated, pre conversion.

Jay
Just not going to fill out your profile are you?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:46 PM   #6
Bus Geek

This one is down the road a bit. It has been gutted but no conversion work has been done.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...888422978.html

I did a quick Google search and found a bunch of Crowns. But..... The one on Ebby island is a sweet looking rig.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:47 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Just not going to fill out your profile are you?
I think that he wants us to guess....
Old 05-27-2019, 06:22 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

No, I just havent figured it out yet, Long weekend with the kids!!!
Old 05-27-2019, 06:38 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

My 8 year old showed me how!
More to come.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:52 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for your assistance, From all the valuable resources here, which is the best drive line combo for these? I plan on transposing Airstream innards, where possible to convert hopefully to keep weight to a minimum. I have heard you get about as good fuel mileage, empty or loaded, any input there? I am in a major life change at the moment, and attempting to apply rationale to my situation. I am considering it as a domicile, any thought's there? What are your experiences? Does anyone actually live in one of these year round? I have many questions...
I will spread them out, and find the right discussion groups to follow.
Please excuse my lack of experience on forum etiquette.

Thanks Jay.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:17 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
In a Crown I'd look for an 855 Cummins with a 10 speed. Or a Detroit like the one PNW is talking about.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:33 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
In a Crown I'd look for an 855 Cummins with a 10 speed. Or a Detroit like the one PNW is talking about.
Interesting Would that be the same as a "252" Cummins? And the 10 spd, a Fuller?
The first one referred to mewhas that combo, and I am VERY interested, as the both have good reps.
Thanks for the help.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:37 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Interesting Would that be the same as a "252" Cummins? And the 10 spd, a Fuller?
The first one referred to me whas that combo, and I am VERY interested, as the both have good reps.
Thanks for the help.
I have been a 4 stroke guy all my life, whats the story on the 6 cyl 2 strokes? I see a lot of those.
Looking further down the road, has anyone done a transplant of an IH 6.9 into one of these? Is torque an issue? Is it even advisable? I do not under estimate the amount of work and fab required to even get it in, much less to "work" properly. I guess I just answered that one...
Old 05-27-2019, 07:57 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I have been a 4 stroke guy all my life, whats the story on the 6 cyl 2 strokes? I see a lot of those.
Looking further down the road, has anyone done a transplant of an IH 6.9 into one of these? Is torque an issue? Is it even advisable? I do not under estimate the amount of work and fab required to even get it in, much less to "work" properly. I guess I just answered that one...
Google "big cam 855" to find out all about the Cummins 855. Most badass engine ever put into a school bus.
2 stroke Detroits are amazing, powerful engines. They're phased out now due to emissions but they were the real powerhouse of America for many decades. They sound incredible. They have their feeding and care instructions and they're not for everyone. But I'd love one.
No one is going to put an IH 6.9 into a Crown. That would be the worst engine swap ever. Why swap a non-turbo pickup truck engine into a true Class 8 machine?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Google "big cam 855" to find out all about the Cummins 855. Most badass engine ever put into a school bus.
2 stroke Detroits are amazing, powerful engines. They're phased out now due to emissions but they were the real powerhouse of America for many decades. They sound incredible. They have their feeding and care instructions and they're not for everyone. But I'd love one.
No one is going to put an IH 6.9 into a Crown. That would be the worst engine swap ever. Why swap a non-turbo pickup truck engine into a true Class 8 machine?
If you want to be logical about it...... The 855 Cummins is probably the "best" but once you have driven 2 stroke Detroit's for a while they get into your blood.

If I had to choose between an 855 or a 671T it would be a tough decision but I would probably take the 671T.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Please, please, PLEASE, promise me to never re-engine a Crown with some pickup truck engine (or worse)! Doing so would completely undermine the whole reason to have a Crown at all. Crowns and Gilligs were true heavy-duty buses, using drivetrains and running gear usually found in Class 8 trucks; nobody else built school buses like them. What other skoolie can climb Cajon Pass with a dozen people on board, in top or 9th gear and needing to slow for the cars climbing there?! Crowns were all individually built to order so no two are exactly alike, and they were all hand-made to the very highest standards. The thought of putting some little pickup engine into one is simply not tenable; if you want a bus like that, there are plenty of generic disposabuses out there.

OK, rant over.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:24 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Well put, thank you.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
+1 on the 6-71, theres still quite a few old 6-71s in service.. I hear dump trucks running them fully loaded in our construction zones all the time..

like any engine, take your time to learn how to care for and feed it and treat it. and the best way to operate it and you will be successful..

even though its not a crazy huge engine and is 6 cylinders.. you have to remember being a 2 stroke, the cylinders fire on every stroke of the piston, not every other.. which means you can get some really nice low end torque from them..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:21 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
+1 on the 6-71, theres still quite a few old 6-71s in service.. I hear dump trucks running them fully loaded in our construction zones all the time..

like any engine, take your time to learn how to care for and feed it and treat it. and the best way to operate it and you will be successful..

even though its not a crazy huge engine and is 6 cylinders.. you have to remember being a 2 stroke, the cylinders fire on every stroke of the piston, not every other.. which means you can get some really nice low end torque from them..
Thanks for the input, I have learned a lot from these pages, including whom NOT to buy from. I have located 2 and hopefully one will be all I need.
Thanks again, Jay.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:04 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Found this one on Ebay today
https://www.ebay.com/itm/school-buse....c100667.m2042
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote