Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

WTB: Full or Near Full Conversion with PV and Wood Stove

Hello!

I'm Chris, a 33 year old man living in Western Massachusetts. I have been lurking on this forum for years, learning tons about the lifestyle. The time has finally come for my girlfriend Liz and I to make the jump from our expensive and not-so-fulfilling apartment into a skoolie! We already have a friend who is happy to host us on his land and now we just need a rig!

We do not have a ton of time from now until this fall/winter. We both work very busy jobs and want to make sure that whatever bus we get into is more or less ready to live in.

Requirements:
- Wood stove, or functional heating system. We highly prefer a wood stove, as I used to have one at different home awhile ago and have always wanted another one!
- Fully functional PV system/generator.
- Composting/dry flush/separating toilet
- Shower
- Kitchen
- Queen or King bed
- NO glaring mechanical issues

Bonuses:
- Roof deck or similar...something to safely get up on top
- Awning
- Actual door instead of folding bus door
- Already retitled as an RV

I know this is asking a lot but we are ambitious and would like to get into this without investing a ton of our own time to build it out. We simply do not have that time available for the forseeable future.

Price target is up to and around $20k, but would be willing to consider $25k for something that is more pristine.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Chris

cjmorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
There's plenty of examples out there. Many are being sold because they were incorrectly built and now they are not comfortable in them.
I would not look for anything in your area due to the heavy salt use in the winter in that region.

Here's one been listed awhile, offer them $15k.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/fs...tml#post279567
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks, Marc! I actually just reached out to them!

I agree with you about avoiding anything from the northeast! We don't anticipate moving it all that much during the winter, so should avoid most of the issues that deicing solution causes for vehicles.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmorin View Post
Thanks, Marc! I actually just reached out to them!

I agree with you about avoiding anything from the northeast! We don't anticipate moving it all that much during the winter, so should avoid most of the issues that deicing solution causes for vehicles.
You can avoid that if it was properly built which means a full gutting and then insulting the ceiling, walls, and floor. This is probably the most important feature, how well it was insulated, especially in New England.
You can insulate those areas after you're through insulting them.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Agreed, and it's definitely something that is on my list of questions!
Old 07-11-2018, 02:28 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Saw an absolutely perfect skoolie for us in Iowa and I just can't seem to get in touch with the owner! I know I'm being impatient because I'm rearing to go, but I'm just concerned that somebody will gobble it up locally before I can touch base.

Full wood interior, PV, shower, flue plumbed in and ready for stove, everything we need.

I have a feeling this is a pretty tight knit community and wonder if perhaps somebody already knows the guy, or this bus? Flat nosed, painted gray and black at the front...