Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

WTB: Shuttle 21' - 24', under $6k

I am just starting my search for a used shuttle bus that is about 21' - 24' long. That would give me about 13' - 16' for the "house"/body on the inside. I would like to stay under my $6k limit for the shuttle itself. Though I am told by many on www.cheaprvliving.com that there are plenty of them, in good shape for around $1k. Let me know if this is reasonable.

I want a shuttle bus because I want the taller windows. I also want the front end to look like a standard van instead of a school bus. This is so I will be able to take it to a regular mechanic if necessary and so it will be a little more acceptable to some of the slightly picky RV parks. (I know the super-picky RV parks wouldn't let it in anyway.)

I would prefer to not have a wheel-chair lift or even those wheel-chair doors to deal with. I'm looking for a Ford, Chevy, or GMC - in that order. I do not want a Dodge.

I found one that fit my requirements for $3500 but the frame of the body and the transverse beams under the body were full of rust.

I am in Austin, but I might be willing to travel for the right deal. Also, I only have $2,500 right now but I am able to save about $1,400 per month. I just think $6k is the most I would be willing to pay.

Thanks for any suggestions or pointers as to where to look.

Grant

GrantRobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
You definitely want a nice bus to start out with. But I'd think 2500-3500 should get you one if you're patient and diligent.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
All those requirements are easily filled. Places to find them-check around airports-the garages nearby-the back of shuttle service lots. Senior centers or services. Small cities are also a good place to look-find where the maintance garages are + just ask.
I've found that just because its not out along side of the road for sale, doesn't mean it can't be bought.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:01 AM   #4

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Not sure where you can find a shuttle bus for a thousand bucks. Either the bus is crap or the person that told you is full of crap. You can find stuff that cheap but you will be spending a lot of cash to keep it running.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:33 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Not sure where you can find a shuttle bus for a thousand bucks. Either the bus is crap or the person that told you is full of crap. You can find stuff that cheap but you will be spending a lot of cash to keep it running.
I kinda figured as much.
GrantRobertson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shuttle, wtb