Old 04-29-2016, 02:02 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
That frame cut is an easy and cheap fix, weld it up and bolt another frame section inside it, they make nesting frame sections for double frame trucks
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: tc2000
Chassis: blue bird
Engine: cummings 5.9
I agree with the fix it and don't scrap it mentality. honestly. We are the .001% who see a school bus and think RV, and THEN submit our hard earned dollars and time into turning it into something awesome.
Where's your grit!?
1. you can make that engine work again.
2. frame repaired, no problem.
3. salvage titles are no issue, just need a inspection.
(pay a certified local shop to inspect. ) i.e. give Joe-Bob- Mechanic 200.00 to look at the welds and say they will stand up to a crash or whatever.
I've done this several times in GA and it's a breeze.

Infact, since you guys love proof, here is a photo of my "motot home" title the week I bought my BLuebird with no mods what so ever. All it took, was chatting up the lady at the DDS.

also, I'm all of 20 min drive from those busses, so I've called the guy, and plan on driving down just to take some photos of the holes in the engine blocks.
so we will see one way or the other.
scootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
I wish I had taken a closer look at the holes in the past. That's just absurd to waste equipment when it was otherwise saleable.

If it was my job to drill bus engines I'd drill them in the first open area on the side of the block, and that's what I've seen in the past. In the center of the biggest open area on the side of the block. There's so much stuff near the top of the block interfering with drilling. That would take some muscle to push through a block... 43 times? It does make sense that they would try to drill at least one cylinder.

I do think trying to resurrect the whole bus would be heavily frowned on by the federal government. Changing the VIN# is probably not a good idea. There are a bunch of major components that you could possibly resell if they aren't damaged or worn out. Beyond that, I see a bunch of chicken coops or scrap.

At one time someone made a bus trailer by attaching two short bus back ends together. Probably a pretty heavy trailer, but it was still on duallys. Make a tandem axle bus trailer.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:13 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootie View Post
I've dreamed of building a school bus conversion hotel in the middle of nowhere. Someone could just park them, paint them with different themes, (underwater, outer space, ect.) do them all crazy and put them on air bnb.

I would park clusters of five or six in the shape of a flowers pedals with a large hexagonal covered deck in the center for common space,

just saying, but I'm nuts.

there is a bus graveyard in North GA off 985, that guy will probably buy them...
Probably the bidder.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:14 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
That frame cut is an easy and cheap fix, weld it up and bolt another frame section inside it, they make nesting frame sections for double frame trucks
That frame is heat treated steel. Once it was cut with the torch it was pretty ruined, man.