Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: tc2000
Chassis: blue bird
Engine: cummings 5.9
I've dreamed of building a school bus conversion hotel in the middle of nowhere. Someone could just park them, paint them with different themes, (underwater, outer space, ect.) do them all crazy and put them on air bnb.

I would park clusters of five or six in the shape of a flowers pedals with a large hexagonal covered deck in the center for common space,

just saying, but I'm nuts.

there is a bus graveyard in North GA off 985, that guy will probably buy them...

scootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
rebuilt salvage tites are not blacklisted titles... rebuilt salvage is perfectly legal and is done all the time(many cars are "totalled" in accidents which are completely re-buildable)...they do just as you did, the state inspects them to make sure they are rebuilt to requirements and you are good to go as a normal car.. I did it with a 9C1 caprice myself...

.. those cars werent destroyed due to EPA programs and marked as such...

they may have been replaced because the city simply didnt want them.. and internally the city may have purposely destroyed thse interceptors.. but im not aware of any federal EPA / Green program that stated old police vehicles were to be destroyed to get grant money ...

-Christopher
I doubt, and I mean DOUBT, not that I know, that they are blacklisted titles. If they were concerned with any EPA issue the engine destruction would be enough. EPA has no regulation with the DMV. If it were that easy, the EPA could just blacklist the VIN, and be done with it. No more operation of the motor on the highway. Now cutting the frame, that one eludes me. I don't think frames cause very much air pollution at all.
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:11 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
You mean something like this?

Mystic Springs Utah. Hippied out bus cabins for rent.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:19 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
I doubt, and I mean DOUBT, not that I know, that they are blacklisted titles. If they were concerned with any EPA issue the engine destruction would be enough. EPA has no regulation with the DMV. If it were that easy, the EPA could just blacklist the VIN, and be done with it. No more operation of the motor on the highway. Now cutting the frame, that one eludes me. I don't think frames cause very much air pollution at all.

read up on the old program cash for clunkers and then tell me the EPA doesnt have interaction with the DMV...

the engines are destroyed so they cant just be pulled out and sold as used and go back on the road... they also destroyed the engines in the cash for clunkers cars.. those were to be destroyed with sand in the oil and run till they stopped.. and did something else to the car but i cant remember what it was...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Around here they did the sand in the oil trick and then crushed the cars into tiny cubes and sold them as paperweights... Bunch of F***** Cu**s
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:46 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
You mean something like this?

Mystic Springs Utah. Hippied out bus cabins for rent.

WHAT!??
Is there any original thoughts anymore? Mine would be cooler.

Maybe I should just bury them half way in the ground near a major highway and make it a roadside attraction. I could call it the school bus ranch or something.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
How cool would that be? You don't have to make them run to use as a B&B. Maybe put a barbecue under the hood.

There are a number of B&Bs that already thought of this idea. As individual cabins, while still a vehicle, it skirts around the normal building restrictions.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The frames...
If a person was thinking of bobbing the tail off the bus, good news! The work is half done!
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:27 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
[QUOTE=... it skirts around the normal building restrictions.[/QUOTE]

And..TAXES. As long as it is up on wheels, it is not taxed as an improvement.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #30
Bus Geek

I'm guessing a bus B&B would annoy the tax man.

Stationary B&B buses could have all those crazy looking cabins built on to them too.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
That frame cut is an easy and cheap fix, weld it up and bolt another frame section inside it, they make nesting frame sections for double frame trucks
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

I agree with the fix it and don't scrap it mentality. honestly. We are the .001% who see a school bus and think RV, and THEN submit our hard earned dollars and time into turning it into something awesome.
Where's your grit!?
1. you can make that engine work again.
2. frame repaired, no problem.
3. salvage titles are no issue, just need a inspection.
(pay a certified local shop to inspect. ) i.e. give Joe-Bob- Mechanic 200.00 to look at the welds and say they will stand up to a crash or whatever.
I've done this several times in GA and it's a breeze.

Infact, since you guys love proof, here is a photo of my "motot home" title the week I bought my BLuebird with no mods what so ever. All it took, was chatting up the lady at the DDS.

also, I'm all of 20 min drive from those busses, so I've called the guy, and plan on driving down just to take some photos of the holes in the engine blocks.
so we will see one way or the other.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #33
Bus Geek

I wish I had taken a closer look at the holes in the past. That's just absurd to waste equipment when it was otherwise saleable.

If it was my job to drill bus engines I'd drill them in the first open area on the side of the block, and that's what I've seen in the past. In the center of the biggest open area on the side of the block. There's so much stuff near the top of the block interfering with drilling. That would take some muscle to push through a block... 43 times? It does make sense that they would try to drill at least one cylinder.

I do think trying to resurrect the whole bus would be heavily frowned on by the federal government. Changing the VIN# is probably not a good idea. There are a bunch of major components that you could possibly resell if they aren't damaged or worn out. Beyond that, I see a bunch of chicken coops or scrap.

At one time someone made a bus trailer by attaching two short bus back ends together. Probably a pretty heavy trailer, but it was still on duallys. Make a tandem axle bus trailer.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:13 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootie View Post
I've dreamed of building a school bus conversion hotel in the middle of nowhere. Someone could just park them, paint them with different themes, (underwater, outer space, ect.) do them all crazy and put them on air bnb.

I would park clusters of five or six in the shape of a flowers pedals with a large hexagonal covered deck in the center for common space,

just saying, but I'm nuts.

there is a bus graveyard in North GA off 985, that guy will probably buy them...
Probably the bidder.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:14 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
That frame cut is an easy and cheap fix, weld it up and bolt another frame section inside it, they make nesting frame sections for double frame trucks
That frame is heat treated steel. Once it was cut with the torch it was pretty ruined, man.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote