Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 09:08 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Wtf???

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...76&acctid=3865

They drilled holes in the engines and cut the frames? Why? Oh, Why?

dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...76&acctid=3865

They drilled holes in the engines and cut the frames? Why? Oh, Why?
EPA grant..... that tells me the feds told them they had to disable the buses before disposal. Couldn't tell you how many times I had to destroy something that was more than acceptable for use or re use while I was in the Navy, only to get new replacements........

If you had the space, you could start a parts business!!!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
a sign of things to come.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
EPA grant..... that tells me the feds told them they had to disable the buses before disposal. Couldn't tell you how many times I had to destroy something that was more than acceptable for use or re use while I was in the Navy, only to get new replacements........

If you had the space, you could start a parts business!!!
yes and even if you replace the engines and frames these busses CANNOT be placed back into service or registered..

this was a commercial version of cash for clunkers.. an EPA clean air thing.. so the VIN's are blacklisted at the DMV.. these are PARTS only..

they will probably go extremely cheap so if you are looking to say update to a newer transmission, need tires, etc.. they would be good.. then you scrap them.. only economical if you have your own flatbed to tow them with...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Are they being sold as a group, or individually?

They sure are evasive about answering questions.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #6

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Your tax dollars hard at work!!! Just accept it.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #7
Bus Geek

The parts wouldn't even be worth the hassle. These are going straight to the scrapper.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #8
Bus Geek

It the trannies, drive lines and rear ends aren't drilled, there is still a significant chunk of change remaining in each of those buses. Removal of those remaining viable major components wouldn't affect the scrap value of the bus body that much. It's money for the person that has the wearwithall to make it happen.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
It the trannies, drive lines and rear ends aren't drilled, there is still a significant chunk of change remaining in each of those buses. Removal of those remaining viable major components wouldn't affect the scrap value of the bus body that much. It's money for the person that has the wearwithall to make it happen.
Who's gonna be right there by them, have a method of hauling them, have somewhere to store them, somewhere to store all the parts, and have nothing else to do for a few months?
This bus yard will be lucky if someone comes along.
I wouldn't be surprised if they had to pay someone to haul em off.
GA doesn't let anything go till its beat.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #10
Bus Geek

That's sad, but I have seen it here before too. The drilling I mean. I don't understand that concept when it comes to tax payer funding.
Like the decision to crush all the M151 army jeeps, rather than selling them to the public. It was legislators from the major motor companies that prevented thousands of jeeps from hitting the market and possibly ruining large private businesses. They did sell them to other government, like Canada, where you can still buy them sometimes. They aren't allowed on the roads here in the US and have been determined to be unsafe. I guess that's why our government sells them to other countries. I thought we were friends with Canada?
Old 04-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Who's gonna be right there by them, have a method of hauling them, have somewhere to store them, somewhere to store all the parts, and have nothing else to do for a few months?
This bus yard will be lucky if someone comes along.
I wouldn't be surprised if they had to pay someone to haul em off.
GA doesn't let anything go till its beat.
yeah till the government says here's money to go buy new busses.. as long as you trash yours. . typically they pick which VINs qualify as the worst polluters.. not necessarily the oldest or most worn out busses...
-Christopher
Old 04-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #12
Bus Nut

There is actually a bid on them already.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #13
Bus Geek

If you've ever seen this engine drilling in person, they usually drill a nice round hole in the easiest place to get to the block. Why couldn't someone tap the hole and then install a plug? Yes, you'd have to clean the pan. Crankcase pressures can't be that high. This doesn't always happen on worn out equipment and I don't understand how they can justify the loss of value. Even at one or two $k per bus they would recoup significantly more money than scrap value. On the other hand many of the federal sales require destruction of vehicles. It's nice to know where our tax dollar goes.

Anybody know why the hole can't be plugged on an engine?
Old 04-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
If you've ever seen this engine drilling in person, they usually drill a nice round hole in the easiest place to get to the block. Why couldn't someone tap the hole and then install a plug? Yes, you'd have to clean the pan. Crankcase pressures can't be that high. This doesn't always happen on worn out equipment and I don't understand how they can justify the loss of value. Even at one or two $k per bus they would recoup significantly more money than scrap value. On the other hand many of the federal sales require destruction of vehicles. It's nice to know where our tax dollar goes.

Anybody know why the hole can't be plugged on an engine?
I thought the protocol was to drill the hole in an areas that huts a cylinder so the block is dead at that point....

also the VINs are blacklisted.. titles are salvage with a Do Not Rebuild clause so they can only ever be parted out... No state that I know of would dare register them and no insurasnce company will insure one. no one would pay anything for a motor that was drilled and plugged if it was in an area that didnt matter... perhaps a company like schoolbuspartsco would want them to use for parts they sell if the parts arent made anymore..

the same thing happened during cash for clunkers car program a few years back.. there was a group trying to save the many actual high dollar classic cars that got entered into the program(often old people had no idea there car was rare and collectable.. they simply wanted a new car and saw that as a way to afford one).... all those classics were destroyed.. none not a one was legally saved...

I heard tales of a few being pulled and illegally re-vinned and registered from old wrecks people had that matched the same description but it was risky business.. since it involved an EPA program it was a federal felony to alter the cash for clunkers cars...

-Christopher
Old 04-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #15
Bus Geek

I wasn't thinking of trying to run the buses. Someone different is obviously drilling the holes at different location. The ones I saw appeared to be about a 1" hole directly into the crankcase. It is possible to hit a piston skirt if they're drilling high enough.
My point was that a small regular hole with no cracks should be able to be plugged. I'm just remembering tractor repairs from when I was a kid. A small regular hole, if there was no internal damage, should be able to be plugged. It would be smaller than a freeze plug, and threaded.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:36 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I thought the protocol was to drill the hole in an areas that huts a cylinder so the block is dead at that point....

also the VINs are blacklisted.. titles are salvage with a Do Not Rebuild clause so they can only ever be parted out... No state that I know of would dare register them and no insurasnce company will insure one. no one would pay anything for a motor that was drilled and plugged if it was in an area that didnt matter... perhaps a company like schoolbuspartsco would want them to use for parts they sell if the parts arent made anymore..

the same thing happened during cash for clunkers car program a few years back.. there was a group trying to save the many actual high dollar classic cars that got entered into the program(often old people had no idea there car was rare and collectable.. they simply wanted a new car and saw that as a way to afford one).... all those classics were destroyed.. none not a one was legally saved...

I heard tales of a few being pulled and illegally re-vinned and registered from old wrecks people had that matched the same description but it was risky business.. since it involved an EPA program it was a federal felony to alter the cash for clunkers cars...

-Christopher
So the old police interceptor crown vic I rebuilt from a salvaged title and had the state inspector come out and sign off as an original automobile was VIN swapped???????

Switch the motor, and reregister it and I bet it would fly as a private vehicle. If you were a contracted bus driver for a school district trying to register it commercial, then I could see that as a no go. Hell, I can register a B2 as a private plane and fly it as long as the FAA says it is flight worthy. Just my thoughts on it anyway. I could be wrong........
Old 04-28-2016, 08:41 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Angry It's all in the budget....

Problem is, if a certain entity either public or private, doesn't spend the entirety of the year budget, next year that entity gets less $$$.
Works that way in the private sector for...say...IT, or public/gov't...say...DoD...
So it doesn't really matter if the buses were in tip-top shape because the mechanic team did an outstanding job; they need to be rendered unusable to fully justify the spending of the budget.

if they were sold, they'd have a surplus, hence not needing budget $$$, and you know the rest...

My 2C's
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:58 PM   #18
Bus Geek

That's administrative logic.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:04 PM   #19
Bus Geek

The frames...
Old 04-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
So the old police interceptor crown vic I rebuilt from a salvaged title and had the state inspector come out and sign off as an original automobile was VIN swapped???????

Switch the motor, and reregister it and I bet it would fly as a private vehicle. If you were a contracted bus driver for a school district trying to register it commercial, then I could see that as a no go. Hell, I can register a B2 as a private plane and fly it as long as the FAA says it is flight worthy. Just my thoughts on it anyway. I could be wrong........
rebuilt salvage tites are not blacklisted titles... rebuilt salvage is perfectly legal and is done all the time(many cars are "totalled" in accidents which are completely re-buildable)...they do just as you did, the state inspects them to make sure they are rebuilt to requirements and you are good to go as a normal car.. I did it with a 9C1 caprice myself...

.. those cars werent destroyed due to EPA programs and marked as such...

they may have been replaced because the city simply didnt want them.. and internally the city may have purposely destroyed thse interceptors.. but im not aware of any federal EPA / Green program that stated old police vehicles were to be destroyed to get grant money ...

-Christopher