Old 01-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: All Crowns to be destroyed by California.

wow....shiny's ....pretty
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #12

Is there still a chance to find an older Crown? Do you have any friends here in Arizona?
I'd be interested in a chat about this.
Bobby D_AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:48 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/no...tml#post177760
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by coakes69 View Post
I heard from a guy in Long Beach, that was selling 6 Crowns, that by Dec 31st 2014 the state of California will destroyed/scrap all city/government Crown school buses. Due to new very strict California emission laws they will be scraped to get federal subsidy money to get better "greener" school buses. Did anyone hear about this?
Sigh....The road to hell is paved with good intentions and apparently recycled tires from old Crown buses.

From an environmental stand point, recycling that steel isn't without its problems: using energy to shred, melt down, and re-form the iron into "new" stock. Though that is better than leaving them to rust away somewhere while mining for more steel, it seems better to me to retrofit the buses as long as they are structurally sound. (And from the way they're built...)

To Coakes69: Ever notice how old Winnebagos could be repainted to incorporate the Van Halen logo into the striping?
Old 12-29-2016, 05:51 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II pusher
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
The lack of suitable modern underfloor engines in this country is one of several reasons that Crowns cannot be made to comply with the smog-nazis' diktats. Imagine a Crown with a current MAN or Volvo or IVECO engine - sweet! There's also the public perception that a bus is automatically unsafe merely because it's old. We all know that quality of design and construction is more important than having the latest doodads and gimmicks, but the parents and school administrators in this sue-happy world don't see it that way.

Yes, it's a crying shame that perfectly usable and safe Crowns are being crushed, to be replaced by some horrid flimsy disposabus that will be worn out in ten or fifteen years. There are still some Crowns being sold straight out of school service, so buy them now before they're all gone.

Crown's forever! (Even the later pushers like mine)

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:32 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus View Post
Sigh....The road to hell is paved with good intentions and apparently recycled tires from old Crown buses.

From an environmental stand point, recycling that steel isn't without its problems: using energy to shred, melt down, and re-form the iron into "new" stock. Though that is better than leaving them to rust away somewhere while mining for more steel, it seems better to me to retrofit the buses as long as they are structurally sound. (And from the way they're built...)

To Coakes69: Ever notice how old Winnebagos could be repainted to incorporate the Van Halen logo into the striping?
Or house the homeless, or give them away to other states, I can think of less wasteful options all evening. :/
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:26 AM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 198x
Coachwork: Crown & MCI
Chassis: 40ft Tandem/40ft MC-9 Tag
Engine: Cummins 855 BCT/6V92TA, RTO-910/HT-740
Rated Cap: 47,000lb/38,000lb GVWR
Yeah, it's crap. There is absolutely no reason to destroy these machines. When I first got the bus itch I really wanted and ended up with a Crown as my first bus after many years of searching for that "right one." I was concerned that parts would be potentially hard to find, or things would be "hard" to work on. Really though, it only seems that way when you talk to a mechanic these days that depends on a computer to read the codes for him/her. Once you explain what it really is (and if they're competent and you can provide them a book) they get it.

I was told by a major Class 8 truck maintenance company that they couldn't find air-bags for the rear because they didn't make them anymore. After searching, asking, and being pissed it took 1 call to Firestone to have them bring out the old moulds and spin up 8 of them for barely more than it cost to buy current Class 8 bags for other trucks. Only problem was time (~4 weeks compared to overnight or now.)

After really getting to know my bus mechanically I'm not concerned about much. The only thing I worry about are my front curved windows. Fortunately I have a spare set of old-new stock for that real bad day--But worse case I can change them back to flat panels with the addition of the divider bars and it's only going to look as good as a Crown.

Man. These Crown posts make me want to swap places w/the Crown for the MCI in my driveway. I guess I need a bigger driveway?

...if I want to have fun I drive my Crown any day over the slow ass MCI.

On a side note: I'd be skeptical of that post from Craigslist. That bus has been for sale for quite some time and never listed below $10k. Strange that it's all the sudden at $5k OBO. Has anyone called the posted number?
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
... There's also the public perception that a bus is automatically unsafe merely because it's old. We all know that quality of design and construction is more important than having the latest doodads and gimmicks, but the parents and school administrators in this sue-happy world don't see it that way.

Yes, it's a crying shame that perfectly usable and safe Crowns are being crushed, to be replaced by some horrid flimsy disposabus that will be worn out in ten or fifteen years. ...
John
At my employer we're having lots of little problems with the 2013 Blue Birds that sideline the buses for a day or two while the shop fixes something - usually electrical. On one that I was driving, the transmission wouldn't "go" and a mechanic had to come out and replace a little "doodad." Then I was on the road again.

Although not technically a defect, I think it's nutty that when you turn the key on the new BBs, you have to wait for the engine to start after the computer boots up!

The one newfangled device I really appreciate is the "Child CheckMate" system that forces the driver to walk to the back of the bus to shut off the alarm when done with a route. I don't want to leave some poor soul aboard because I had a brain fart at the end of the day. (I think these could be retrofitted to older buses, though.)
Old 12-30-2016, 12:46 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent View Post

After really getting to know my bus mechanically I'm not concerned about much. The only thing I worry about are my front curved windows. Fortunately I have a spare set of old-new stock for that real bad day--But worse case I can change them back to flat panels with the addition of the divider bars and it's only going to look as good as a Crown.
yea thats a big concern of mine is having to replace the curved windshields.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote