Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3208
Rated Cap: 84 px
And they won't allow Skoolies why?

I see really ratty looking RVs parked on the street everywhere around the area where I live, much like these in this report:

Abandoned RVs become homes for some; eyesore for others | Jesse Jones - KIRO TV

But I can't get away with parking my school bus for one night on the street, and it won't get any better once it's converted, no matter how nice it looks.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Hell, in Omaha you get in trouble if you're parking a standard RV in your own bloomin' driveway; I learned that the hard way!

I had to move mine to a storage lot - right next to the Skunky Bus - to keep the tow truck away. A cop stuck a note on my door and my Minnie Winnie. The city building dept. limits RV length to 20-feet. The wording of the notice is such that you'd think I removed the wheels, set it on blocks, and lit it on fire. Motor vehicle litter, my ass.

If they can't even stand a 23-foot Winnebago that's in decent shape on a driveway along a street where drivers would have to be looking sideways to see it, skoolies don't have a chance in hell.

I don't know about school buses, but Bellevue, Neb., and Council Bluffs, Iowa, are friendlier in their statutes to RVs. Broadly speaking, you're OK as long as you aren't posing a hazard or inconvenience to pedestrians or passers-by.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:38 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGIBoughtABus View Post
But I can't get away with parking my school bus for one night on the street, and it won't get any better once it's converted, no matter how nice it looks.
Because...school bus.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
...I can't get away with parking my school bus for one night on the street, and it won't get any better once it's converted, no matter how nice it looks.
Well, hell, I like the look that combines school bus outside, RV inside...actually, many of us here do. Sure there are crappy conversions out there, but for people who don't like the good ones...that's their problem.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:07 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3L T444E Navistar
Rated Cap: 48/72
Houston street parking experience

Quote:
I see really ratty looking RVs parked on the street everywhere around the area where I live, much like these in this report:

We arrived at night at our friends in Houston. After finally getting her back from the repair shop. ��, Stupidly parked facing the wrong direction on the road (only place she'd fit) but it was only going to be till the next morning. Woke up to a ticket. Less than 20ft from intersection and wrong way on street. $70 bucks. Insult to injury after the big repair, but, what can you do! I guess follow parking signs...... Lol.

Also we booked a site in Quintana beach county park, arrived, set up......evil golf cart woman comes and says "you didn't say it was a school bus!" And "we allow tents and RV's, not Buses" same response as you...."Uhhhhhhhhhh excuse me" "I told the person On the phone it was a 2002 international Bus. It may be yellow, it may be a bus, but it is not a school bus, and you can come aboard if you like and see that it is like a camper" After some puppy dog eyes and a few "we haven't had any problems anywhere else" comments she let us stay." After that we began reading more reviews on the places we were planning on camping to see if they had similar "no bus" policies.
BeverlyTheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:

I read a similar story like this several years ago about all the people around LA and other parts of California living in RV's because they can't afford the high housing prices (they are "working poor"). Was in LA and San Diego last summer for work and did in fact see many RV's that were obviously street camping. Many seem to park near one of the endless city parks (at least during the day), I assume because there are public bathrooms to use and less conspicuous than being in a neighborhood. All the ones I saw were kept clean around them and seemed to want to keep a low profile. Locals said that the cops don't hassle them as long as they're low profile because homelessness is such a big problem and they aren't causing any issues. Guess the cops sympathize with being working poor.
From what I saw San Diego and the surrounding area has much less tolerance for this. In fact I didn't notice one stealth RV around San Diego. From being stationed there many moons ago I know it is a more "affluent" city overall and has less tolerance for these things.
A converted bus already looks out of place just because it is that, unless you convert a flat nose to look more like a Bluebird Wanderlodge. That's why I like Offgr1d's stealth Van Hool coach. She kept it plain white with all the windows (so far) so it just looks like any other tour coach, which people are much more comfortable seeing for some reason ( guess they equate coach bus with higher income or something). In any case I would love to buy a coach for my project for this and other reasons, it's just the cost being 7-10 times more than what a decent skoolie cost that has me leaning heavily towards a skoolie. 30k for a coach that I then have to pay more to convert and maintain, or 4k for a road ready skoolie that I can outfit for less than that. Heart wants a coach but wallet says school bus. Damn I need to win the lottery!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:06 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Another alternative is to buy a box truck, possibly with lift gate. Before I found buses a box truck was my plan.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:27 PM   #8
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Another alternative is to buy a box truck, possibly with lift gate. Before I found buses a box truck was my plan.
We had a box truck for awhile, it was ok then. It also gave me some insight into
Doing a bus.