Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2016, 06:33 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
auburn - im with you... when i got my bus i had travelled about 450 miles north into nowhere georgia and lost the air-brakes compressor.. ended up spending a few days in a hotel that literally the only thing within miles was a shoneys.. the gas station where my bus was broke and a used car lot...

i met cool people in the hotel (which had a bar and a great bar-tender).. enjoyed the shoneys breakfast buffet..

only to realize after incompetent mobile truck servies, a new air compressor, and a hotel bill.. that simply if I had tools I couldve had my bus back on the road temporarily within minutes.. DOH!!

I think I had a thread on it here somewhere while I was broke down..

I still got lots of work done, learned a lot and well its just one of the adventures I have had and will have in my bus...!! so yeah! keep that attitude up..

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:29 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

It may have cost me more than I can stomach, but have met some damn fine folks in the past few weeks
Auburntide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntide View Post
Tank repaired/cleaned ran fine.. for a minute.. clutch went out in Crescent City this morning - good times..
Ok so how was it cleaned??
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Once again i am delighted i spoiled myself with the last 10ft as shop space.

Just today while getting inspected i had running lights not working, grabbed the dremel and cleaned the corrosion from 3 sockets, passed!

And yea i could hear your words today about meeting fine folks when i stopped at a truck shop and they let me borrow the air to fill the tires (60psi! no wonder it felt like the parking brake was on. ) and the guy informed me to be to the side of the tire while filling because if it blows they are deadly. something i wasn't aware of.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
and the guy informed me to be to the side of the tire while filling because if it blows they are deadly. something i wasn't aware of.

Tire shop I used to hang out at never stayed in front of the tire...
Always used a clip on air chuck and a ball valve at the compressor end

Old 08-26-2016, 08:12 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

WARNING - SPLIT RIMS AND JACK STANDS!!! [Archive] - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite
Old 08-26-2016, 08:14 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Old 08-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Cadillac - thanks for the advice on filling tires, I have been reading up on the dangers of split rims.. I know I will have to get two of them changed out soon. Heard that Big O can do it - but finding few and far between those who will even touch them. But that's a bit down the road, as my clutch went out yesterday in Crescent City.. mechanic days he thinks it had never been serviced. Owner of the local Napa shop has been great, but having a hard time finding a replacement - may have to send it out to be rebuilt..
As to the fix on the fuel tank, we cut a hole in one end and used an extremely hot pressure washer to get the smegma out, also put in new fuel lines also, since the old ones were toast. Garage in Coos Bay was very cool and let me do most of the work myself - saving me $$..
Old 08-27-2016, 07:43 AM   #29
Bus Geek

auburn - I think its cary who mentioned standing to the side when filling tires...

I suppose that even thoise of us with single piece rims should stand to the side or use a clip-on chuck? I need to get myself an air-fitting so I can use the air-compressor on the bus to fill my tires rather than having to do it at a shop or at home..

since i got my tires early summer I havent had to add any air as the warm temperatures have stayed constant.. but I know once things start cooling down i'll need to add some..

so those of you that drive trucks or busses from say michigan to florida and back in january.. are you always adjusting pressures along the way? as the tires will be a lot lower in -10 as they will be at 70.. what do you use as a guide for air pressures vs temperature.. or you just adjust up and down along your route? even though its hard to adjust "cold - not run today" pressure when you are simply stopping for fuel.. the tires are warm t that point.. and I hear to always check and adjust pressures cold..

-Christopher
Old 08-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
As far as cold weather/warm weather tire pressures ...

I simply put 90-100 pounds of air in the tires (checked before driving) and call it good. The pressure differential between Florida and Michigan even in January is likely to be minimal, I would worry more about picking up a nail than I would the ambient weather affecting pressure.

A tire's main enemy is *~Heat~*. Now, if you run, say, 90 PSI from Florida in 90 degree heat, you should be fine. Now, the next day you're in Michigan and it's 25 degrees, your tires may be as low as 85? But let's say you run 'em anyway, because it's cold and you don't wanna mess with 'em. The tires will warm up and even if they do build up a little more heat - it's cold outside and the tires will dissipate the heat much more than they would in 90 degree temps - and even if by some strange chance you do build up heat, at some point it will reach the same 90 degrees and you'll be back at your original 90 PSI. Plus, most of our buses don't exactly run weight limit on our tires, so they don't build up as much heat as heavily loaded trucks would.

I would personally check tires regularly not so much for micro-managing air pressure within 1-2 PSI ... as much as a tire losing air pressure, tread and tire condition, etc.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for all the advice/videos on tire pressure & maintenance! Much appreciated! Sry if I don't get all the credits right, just a little covered up right now.

On another subject - Owner of the shop where my clutch is being repaired is not able to find a replacement - So just throwing it out there or if someone can point me in the right direction.. Looking for this clutch
Lipe Corp. Model # 140 602 1778
Ser. L0058452
2" - 10 spline 2 plate
Lipe has apparently made this model obsolete. It's either that or having to send it further south in Cal to get it rebuilt.. which will take a week..
So, if somebody knows where I might be able to get my hands on one - or knows of an old Gillig graveyard here in California lol.. We've already tried several school districts in the area that used to run Gilligs w/ no luck.. might have a lead on a suitable replacement part, but won't know til late Monday..
Old 08-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Update: Found clutch!
Old 08-29-2016, 04:29 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Outstanding! Hang in there.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:35 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Our local Les Scwabb does split rims
Old 08-29-2016, 10:32 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Tango! Stu & Filo- A guy @ Big O in San Jose said that TDS in Ukiah could do the splits, I called this morning & they said they probably could, but nice to have a back up.. Your Les Schwab is in Vacaville?
Old 08-29-2016, 10:42 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntide View Post
Thanks Tango! Stu & Filo- A guy @ Big O in San Jose said that TDS in Ukiah could do the splits, I called this morning & they said they probably could, but nice to have a back up.. Your Les Schwab is in Vacaville?
Yes it is, I would think a truckstop could do them also, Big O & Americas tire here in town said no way. I'd be Leary of going to a place that says "proably could" When it comes to split rims it usually yes or no.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:51 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Ok good to know - both on the way. Thanks
Old 08-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #38
Bus Crazy

Has anybody here with aftermarket remote wireless tire pressure sensors? There seem to be 2 kinds - one that live on the rim inside the (tubeless) tire, and the other that either screws onto or replaces the Schrader valve. I'm wondering if those are worth it. Seems like most new cars come with some version of this capability, so maybe it's Fed mandated by now?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:03 PM   #39
Bus Geek

ive been looking into them... seems when i asked here a few months ago everyone told me to lear nhow to use a "bat" and be dome with it.. im still interested in electronic sensors .. a lot of new RV's come with them standard.. the ones I was looking at just screw onto the valve stem... my steers are bead-balamced so I cant use the inside type of sensor..

-Christopher

Tags
gillig, tank