Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Help! Stranded - Need fuel tank 08/19/16

Anyone that can help - I am stranded in Coos Bay, Oregon - Just had 60? Gallon diesel tank drained & it is shot - need a replacement asap : dimensions are 20' x 56'. Does anyone know where I can get a tank? Thanks - Michael

Auburntide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
We need a vehicle description to be more helpful. Year, make, and model would be helpful. Different manufacturers have different fuel tank set ups.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:08 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
We need a vehicle description to be more helpful. Year, make, and model would be helpful. Different manufacturers have different fuel tank set ups.
He posted this in another thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntide View Post
I recently purchased a 65 Gillig in Castlerock, but owner said it came from further north in WA.. Where did you find the engine sizes from model #? I have no "paperwork" and the model # is 743D-13, which I don't see on your list. Any help would be great..
Old 08-20-2016, 12:22 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Anyone that can help - I am stranded in Coos Bay, Oregon - Just had 60? Gallon diesel tank drained & it is shot - need a replacement asap : dimensions are 20' x 56'. Does anyone know where I can get a tank? Thanks - Michael
20' x56' ? Need one hell of a trailer just for the fuel tank,, I do have a fuel tank here but it's. 10;20 pm so I can measure tomorrow but I think it's something like 20" x 60" x 21" & it's been boiled out but it's awful heavy to ship.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:36 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, That would probably help It's a 65 Gillig model 743D-13.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Anyone that can help - I am stranded in Coos Bay, Oregon - Just had 60? Gallon diesel tank drained & it is shot - need a replacement asap : dimensions are 20' x 56'. Does anyone know where I can get a tank? 65 Gillig model 743D-13. Thanks - Michael
Old 08-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
Anyone that can help - I am stranded in Coos Bay, Oregon - Just had 60? Gallon diesel tank drained & it is shot - need a replacement asap : dimensions are 20' x 56'. Does anyone know where I can get a tank? 65 Gillig model 743D-13. Thanks - Michael
20 feet by 56 feet is a bit large for a fuel tank. Shot why? Leak? Accident? Stranded how? I would think a Gillig would have a tank heavy enough to do repairs on. You could pretty much hang anything that holds fuel under there to get somewhere else. Heck a 30 gallon barrel strapped down inside would get you somewhere.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:22 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Yes, That would probably help It's a 65 Gillig model 743D-13.
Any smaller size tank or two that has the proper or close to correct size fuel line connections from a junk yard that you can hang underside securely or stick in the back somewhere and run longer lines to get you home and find what you need.
Shot? Lost 60gallons? That sucks!
Is there a whole in it? If it's drained and dry around the hole I have successfully patched an excavater oil pan that had a piece of 5/8" rebar stuck in it the next day by going to the local machine shop to get some steel shavings from there milling machine and mixing it in some liquid JB weld mixture and it has been holding for at least 10-yrs now. Just put a wire brush/emery cloth on the surrounding area and patch that thing. If it's a mechanic telling you the tank is shot and there's no whole then get another opinion cause you could have just ran low on fuel and started picking up 50-yrs worth of sludge in the bottom of the tank?
Change your filters and put enough fuel in it to get home then drop and clean your tank.
Good luck.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:42 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

20" x 56" lol - drained contaminated fuel out, kept clogging filters - inside rusting and mass algae build-up. Might have to do the replacement tank route - thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
They make a fuel additive for algae build in fuel?
Change your filters use the additive and get somewhere/home where your comfortable where you can deal with it easier than stranded?
Unless you have plenty of money?
Then sit stranded and pay top dollar for replacement and mechanic?
That tank can be cleaned in place? A new tank is probably a good idea but it doesn't have to happen while stranded it can happen under your time,terms and when you want? A garage analysis is for the worst case scenario to cover there butt/work which is understandable but don't let them talk you into them doing something that you have time to do yourself at a more convenient time.
These are opinions to get you home to fix it on your own time schedule not be forced to pay overpriced work cause your stranded and they say you need a new tank cause there not willing to clean it and get you on the road.
You didn't lose 60-gal./that garage wasted 60-gal cause the analysis could have been seen by a true diesel mechanic in the first 1-5 and saved the rest.
Just my thoughts and opinions and none are to be the thoughts of this forum. They are mine and I claim them so shoot me not the forum.
Good luck.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks JR. Yeah I'm at a shop & the shop foreman if a real ----. But the owner and I hit it off and will be working w/ him Monday, days he might have a guy who can clean it out, but has to take an end off to get inside? Well we'll see..
Old 08-21-2016, 06:09 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
20" x 56" lol - drained contaminated fuel out, kept clogging filters - inside rusting and mass algae build-up. Might have to do the replacement tank route - thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.
Did you have it boiled out?? most radiator shops can do it.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:12 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Thanks JR. Yeah I'm at a shop & the shop foreman if a real ----. But the owner and I hit it off and will be working w/ him Monday, days he might have a guy who can clean it out, but has to take an end off to get inside? Well we'll see..
That doesn't seem right at all, shop should have a pipe/ rod to insert thru the sender hole & send steaming water up into it while it's submerged in a tank.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
I had the same problem this past winter with a Gillig that had sat for 15 years.
Look up toilet paper fuel filter on the web.
Make one or buy one.
Plumb it in before your regular fuel filters.
Change your fuel filters. Get two extra sets.
Put enough fuel in your tank to get where you want to be.
Drive there.
You may have to change the tp element on your way home, have some extra fuel in a jug along.
The tp filter should keep the crud out of your expensive filters.
Worked for me.
Let us know how it works out.
You can do it. For cheap!
Old 08-21-2016, 09:54 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
You can also drive a long way with your fuel supply and return lines stuck in a jug of fuel on the floor of the cab. But I can't recommend that.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:29 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan N View Post
You can also drive a long way with your fuel supply and return lines stuck in a jug of fuel on the floor of the cab. But I can't recommend that.
Ever see Project Roadkill? Reminds me of all the times they buy an old beater with a bad tank and have a fuel pump hooked to a couple 5 gallon plastic gas cans in the trunk or bed of a truck. lol

I have my fingers crossed for this one, that a good purge will clean that tank right up.

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:29 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Tank repaired/cleaned ran fine.. for a minute.. clutch went out in Crescent City this morning - good times..
Old 08-25-2016, 11:02 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Tank repaired/cleaned ran fine.. for a minute.. clutch went out in Crescent City this morning - good times..

Well shoot!
Old 08-26-2016, 12:19 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Quote:
Of all the things i've lost... my mind ....something something

Way to keep your sense of humor. And hey... a new clutch too?! right on!

good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:36 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

It may have cost me more than I can stomach, but have met some damn fine folks in the past few weeks.. I'm thinking of calling this experience - Rediscovering America. Not trying to sound corny at all..

Tags
gillig, tank