Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Upstate NY (Mohawk Valley)
Posts: 1,096
Re: Kentucky Man Killed in Electrical Accident

I hate when that happens. We lost a Trooper who did truck inspections in a similar way. He was under an antique fire truck trying to help the operator who had broken down get it back on the road. The ladder was repositioned in order to ease the work, and while doing so came into contact with overhead power lines. RIP.
__________________
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
lapeer20m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: near flint michigan
Posts: 2,653
Re: Kentucky Man Killed in Electrical Accident

how unlucky the rv guy was. I wonder if he had an underlying heart condition, or if the electricity just happened to travel into the heart in just such a way as to cause an interruption in the electrical pathways.

110 volt household current isn't really all that dangerous. People get "poked" all the time working around it and are just fine.

I wonder if it was 220 volts....

An unlucky day indeed.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes (who will watch the watchmen?)
lapeer20m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Upstate NY (Mohawk Valley)
Posts: 1,096
Re: Kentucky Man Killed in Electrical Accident

120 volts can certainly be lethal, but most of the "poking" survived is usually finger-to-finger, etc. and not across the body. Most shoes provide insulation at that voltage, but shoes don't help when you are lying on your back in full contact with the ground.

I got my fingers across 300 VDC once when working in an older tube-type radio base. It gave me quite a tickle. To be sure I would be OK, I lay down on the carpet and contemplated the ceiling for two minutes or so to be sure my heart rate would be normal.

I doubt the deceased came into contact with 208/240 volts, because he would have to touch both hots at the same time. One leg to ground is much more likely, especially because the frame was reported as hot.
__________________
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Killed the battery... should I jumpstart? ParadigmCrime Electrical, Charging and Solar 21 08-24-2016 11:22 PM
NM Bus Accident today - Driver killed inkblots84 School Bus News 0 04-08-2013 07:20 PM
Bus Accident houskou School Bus News 5 07-11-2012 05:01 AM
license in kentucky wagatvbus Titles, Insurance, Registration and Money Matters 1 05-27-2011 09:15 AM
A funeral in Kentucky. Abbott Everything Else | General Skoolie Discussions 0 03-24-2010 09:43 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.