Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Motorhome picks fight with school bus - and loses

Happened earlier this month near Pittsburgh, PA:

Brake failure leads to school bus-RV crash/

As much as we talk about crashworthyness here, this story is even more of a reminder of how important preventative maintenance is.

Skunky Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
“Tonight, on another episode of Fiberglass vs Steel...”
Marceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
this is also why we inspect and Pre-trip our Busses.. or should be if you arent.. failures can happen. but visual inspections often pick up failures as they begin to happen before they are critical..

ie was the brake fluid low in that RV? were the brake hoses getting frayed, weather-cracked, or even leaking? were the pads worn down to the discs..

all things that could be caught.. sure the master cykibder or pedal linkage could have just broken.. no way to know..

but everyone should be checking...

this crash has nothing to do with steal vs fiberglass.. the RV was a Van cutaway.. they hot the bus with the Van part.. that is steel.. no different than skoolies that are van cutaway, P30, or IH3600 style...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Question

That's like saying the size of the hammer doesn't matter, because it's the chisel that hits the work piece.
Marceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:28 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marceps View Post
That's like saying the size of the hammer doesn't matter, because it's the chisel that hits the work piece.
Hmmm, I've got a rusty/crusty front bumper on my freightliner with a fiberglass flyaway hood... So if I run into something solid even at low speed I expect I'll be wearing that 7.2 liter CAT unless it's designed to shear it's mounts and drop under me...
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:07 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
this is also why we inspect and Pre-trip our Busses.. or should be if you arent.. failures can happen. but visual inspections often pick up failures as they begin to happen before they are critical..

ie was the brake fluid low in that RV? were the brake hoses getting frayed, weather-cracked, or even leaking? were the pads worn down to the discs..

all things that could be caught.. sure the master cykibder or pedal linkage could have just broken.. no way to know..

but everyone should be checking...

this crash has nothing to do with steal vs fiberglass.. the RV was a Van cutaway.. they hot the bus with the Van part.. that is steel.. no different than skoolies that are van cutaway, P30, or IH3600 style...
Would not be surprised if it was rusty brake lines. Here in VA we have safety inspections once a year, a joke mostly in my view, however after getting my truck inspected and having that government sticker on the windshield saying it is safe I drove home and while parking it in the shed and the brake pedal went to the floor while backing in. One of the steel brake lines burst. Rusted out.

Just something for those who have hydraulic brakes to check.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
one of the things i do with my hydraulic bus is when im checking things out, I step on the brake pedal.. HARD. while its parked enigne running. and I hold it.. if theres a weak brake line or seal its going to give out or get wet....

obviously cant prevent all issues but anything really weak is likely to show some sign..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:24 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
One of hte things I like about air brakes... Most failures result in brakes engaging, not freewheeling.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:49 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Would not be surprised if it was rusty brake lines. Here in VA we have safety inspections once a year, a joke mostly in my view, however after getting my truck inspected and having that government sticker on the windshield saying it is safe I drove home and while parking it in the shed and the brake pedal went to the floor while backing in. One of the steel brake lines burst. Rusted out.

Just something for those who have hydraulic brakes to check.
Exactly! On my bus, where an excess amount of factory wiring (oem install) was doubled over a couple of times and clamped to the frame rail -- it trapped an excess of mud & crud over the brake line it was touching. That was ONE of my brake line failures when I first applied brakes to the Murder Bus.

Christopher's suggestion to load test the brakes in the driveway is a very good one. And something I'm glad I do...
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:07 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
I would wager that a large percentage of stick and staple RV owners don't know which end of a screwdriver to use so looking at the RV before the trip would only reveal to them blaringly evident problems like oil or antifreeze pooling on the floor. I bet a lot of them don't even check air pressure before liftoff. We do it your-selfers are cut out of a different cloth here at Skoolie.net.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Here is what happened to 2 RVs that picked fights with me.... I hate a GM, it was such a pleasure to destroy em.

If you want to see more pics I've got em in my albums
also made videos too

- take note of how awesome my safety is with jack stands..... LOL
Attached Thumbnails
0622190948.jpg   0601191947.jpg  
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
More sticks and staples about to meet the bobcat. We salvaged all the useful goodies and separated the recyclables before leveling it with the bobcat. The trailer will live on as. Shop trailer for boats.
Attached Thumbnails
20191110_161450.jpg  
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:25 PM   #13
Skoolie

It's super hard to git rid of old RV's these days.

The scrappers won't take em as there is too much wood, insulation and other none metal crap. They sure won't pay you anything for them even if they do take em.

One local scrapper where I live deducts weight from the vehicle if that vehicle has Linex'ed or other similar PU bed coating sprayed on the exterior of the vehicle. They will deduct 150 lbs if it's a PU or other large vehicle covered with that crap!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:38 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
It's super hard to git rid of old RV's these days.

The scrappers won't take em as there is too much wood, insulation and other none metal crap. They sure won't pay you anything for them even if they do take em.

One local scrapper where I live deducts weight from the vehicle if that vehicle has Linex'ed or other similar PU bed coating sprayed on the exterior of the vehicle. They will deduct 150 lbs if it's a PU or other large vehicle covered with that crap!
Yeah there is very little metal compared to plastic/vinyl/foam/carpet/ect
After scrapping 2, I'd never do it again.
I wound up burning alot of the body and mentioned crap...
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, crashworthiness, maintenance, safety, stix-n-staples