Old 05-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
essentially a play on the original WARD. which when international got involved called it AmTran..

Ward's materials seemed to be a mix of Superior, Wayne, and carpenter if you ask me... oncde it became amtran it got more "plain".. ie they dropped the iconic shaped windshield and went to a standard rectangle driver window and 4 piece windshield like Bluebird ... Superior / Wayne / Carpenter all went Bust.. Crown-by-carpenter in the mid 90s bought the old Wayne Factory and re-used the toolings... interesting to see the Carpenter / Crowns with Wayne interiors..

of course in today's Climate the Best built of anything dont sem to be ion demand.. the best-built school busses were considered to be the Real crowns (not the carpenter stuff).. and Superior.. both gone..
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:13 PM   #12
Bus Nut

My company has been buying the V10 propane Bluebird Visions the last few years....they're decent on flat land but really struggle in the hills with 45 kids on board. They're mostly used as route buses at the rural districts.

The range sucks on them too, you're lucky to get 200 miles out of one. Would never work at my bus terminal as lots of us can do 300-400 mile days especially on busy weekends.

A common problem on them is the manifolds cracking, the local Bluebird shop (Wisconsin Bus Sales) always has at least 5-6 of them in the service area for that every time I go in there.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:28 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 10K
Thread hijack alert:
I've long wondered how durable the V10 engines were and as a result, stayed away from purchasing one.
Not sounding too promising as a long term, reliable powerplant.

I have noticed their widespread use in the lightweight shuttle busses around the northeast. Maybe they're better suited in those platforms vs a metal bodied skoolie..?

Now back to our regularly scheduled 8.8 propane fueled bus discussion...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
From what I see from Wolfington's website (not Wikipedia) they are a distributor of buses manufactured by other companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
My company has been buying the V10 propane Bluebird Visions the last few years....they're decent on flat land but really struggle in the hills with 45 kids on board. They're mostly used as route buses at the rural districts.

The range sucks on them too, you're lucky to get 200 miles out of one. Would never work at my bus terminal as lots of us can do 300-400 mile days especially on busy weekends.

A common problem on them is the manifolds cracking, the local Bluebird shop (Wisconsin Bus Sales) always has at least 5-6 of them in the service area for that every time I go in there.
Do you work for Student Transportation of America (STA)? That's my employer and they use these things, too. And they just bought several more!

The bodies/chassis are OK (though our Int'l diesels feel more solid), but oh, the electrical problems! Not just the computer stuff, either: lights seem to go haywire, too. Ours run on cheap Chinese wheel rims with paint that fell off after two years. They won't last anywhere near the 40+ years like the ones on my '76 Dodge.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
Today I get to use a new IC propane powered bus for a field trip. It only has 4400 miles and the PSI 8.8 liter V8. Obviously more power than the Rousch powered ones. It's also nice driving a bus that doesn't have a quarter million miles on it for a change....
When you start the engine, does it respond right away, or does the damn computer have to boot up like on the (Rousch/Ford) BB Vision?
Old 06-09-2019, 08:31 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Computer Control

Windows is updating. Please do not turn your bus off.
capnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:50 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Rated Cap: 29,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus View Post
When you start the engine, does it respond right away, or does the damn computer have to boot up like on the (Rousch/Ford) BB Vision?
You could do about half the pre-trip before it fires up.....