Old 11-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
You drive kids around on a route?
AND you are a contractor and work at the bus yard?
When do you sleep?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:35 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Driving kids to and from school only takes 4.5 hours a day out of 24.

On snow days I get up at 4am and plow all the snow out of the bus parking lot, and start every bus. Then I head off on my morning run.

I took this on because I hate working indoors in the winter. Days get short, and light runs out on the sites. This is a good way to extend the days a bit.

Diving bus only pay's $125 a day. However I like the diversity, and change from the job sites.
Also sometimes in winter the weather is too bad to work on the job sites. So the bus driving keeps us from falling behind on money.

The bus yard is a big place. Seems like there is always something to need fixing there.

Now that my wife is on maternity leave, I bring her and baby on the bus, and to the job sites. It's sure nice having the wife there to re tune kids that aren't listening while I'm driving.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Man, Nat, you are living the buslife to the fullest!

I live on my bus yard in my bus and look after a fleet of about 30 buses. I used to drive a route everyday in the AM and PM. Now I just work running the operations for the bus company. I bet there' s a lot of contractors out there excited at the prospect of winning the seatbelt install gigs for all these districts. I bet most of the buses aren't worth the seatbelts that will be installed in them!

Reminds me of a clean air program that paid to install Webasto heaters on every bus in CO to minimize idle times and pollutants at start up. $$$$$$$$$
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post

On snow days I get up at 4am and plow all the snow out of the bus parking lot, and start every bus. Then I head off on my morning run.

I took this on because I hate working indoors in the winter. Days get short, and light runs out on the sites. This is a good way to extend the days a bit.

Diving bus only pay's $125 a day. However I like the diversity, and change from the job sites.
Also sometimes in winter the weather is too bad to work on the job sites. So the bus driving keeps us from falling behind on money.

The bus yard is a big place. Seems like there is always something to need fixing there.

Now that my wife is on maternity leave, I bring her and baby on the bus, and to the job sites. It's sure nice having the wife there to re tune kids that aren't listening while I'm driving.

Nat
I managed to make breakfast this morning.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Screw safety concerns, I'm hoping that if it goes through they'll just retire their current fleets across the board and update to new busses with new harness/belt/whatever systems instead of replacing the seats. A bus exodus would be epic.
marbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:28 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
no bus exodus until I sell my extra bus, don't want the market to crash LOL
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:35 AM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post

Diving bus only pay's $125 a day.
Only?! Yikes. Unless I missed something somewhere that's over 27 bucks and hour?

Where I'm at, school bus drivers make 10/hr. I pull hazmat tankers all day for 15/hr.
And that's good pay around here...
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderhut View Post
Only?! Yikes. Unless I missed something somewhere that's over 27 bucks and hour?

Where I'm at, school bus drivers make 10/hr. I pull hazmat tankers all day for 15/hr.
And that's good pay around here...
My thoughts exactly.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbury View Post
Screw safety concerns, I'm hoping that if it goes through they'll just retire their current fleets across the board and update to new busses with new harness/belt/whatever systems instead of replacing the seats. A bus exodus would be epic.
Don't get your hopes up. A new bus is $60-90,000 depending on size and options. They won't be getting rid of the nice ones, more like all the old junk that they were probably going to ditch in a few years anyways. Busses depreciate incredibly fast, so a lot of them will opt for the 15k upgrade for 5 or 10 years more service vs. getting a new one at 80k.

The big issue is not all districts are as financially in the black as we would like them to be(mostly inner city districts). So how they're going to afford $15,000 x 100 busses is the real question.

I could see them doing a new model/new standard type deal, where only new built busses meet the spec, but they'll never get retrofitting the old ones to pass. The government is having a hard enough time requiring older vehicles to upgrade to the current emissions, much less get them to add seatbelts.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Only the filipinos here will get out of bed for less than $25 a hour.

None of them have the right license to drive bus.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote