Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
The bus driver is in the wrong here as he attempted an illegal turn thru the median. When he turned into the median, we do not know from which lane he started from. The truck may have clipped the rear of the bus due to tail swing if the bus was starting from the left lane, not realizing the bus was making an illegal turn. If the bus started from the right lane or shoulder, the truck would have been moving to the left lane, if not in it already, and had to swing hard to the right lane and hit the bus there. Lawyers will be all over this one!
One article says it appeared he tried to cross 3 Lanes of traffic before the illegal U turn. Incredibly bad judgement. I wouldn't try that in a CAR, much less a bus, much less one with children on it.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:25 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
One article says it appeared he tried to cross 3 Lanes of traffic before the illegal U turn. Incredibly bad judgement. I wouldn't try that in a CAR, much less a bus, much less one with children on it.
Bad judgment is rampant....

I was driving my bus yesterday and saw an idiot in a car careen across three lanes (far left lane to far right lane), between two semis in the center lane (with just enough room for him to get through), almost going completely onto the shoulder, corrected back into the right lane. He then accelerated past the front semi and executed the same maneuver back into the far left lane.

The whole episode occurred about 70-80 feet in front of me (I was in the far right lane). If he had hit the rear semi, I'm positive that impact would have sent it into my path with nowhere for me to have gone.

My wife was not with me, and I thought better about telling her about it....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
at thew very least that driver will possibly face charges... im sure they have to do a lot more investigation into things like was the dump truck speeding grossly.. ultimately in these kinds of crashes they usually cite the driver pulling into moving traffic as the at-fault, but if a vehicle were going WELL over the speed limit they can side with the driver who pulled into traffic.. from what I was reading the bus driver had a very speckled past.. im surprised they still had a CDL at all.. illegal turn, turning into moving traffic, bad past. doesnt bode well for that bus driver.. there will also be lawsuits.. likely lots of them against the schools and the bus driver and yes possibly ewven against the bus manufacturer if anyone that inspects the wreckage has a chance at finding fault wit hthe bus design or performance,, people these days will sue anyone and everyone..
-Christopher
Even if the dump truck driver was doing the speed limit, if he forgot to lower the lift axle he could still end up in the wrong due to negligence.

Lawyers can conjure up all sorts of crap in order to make them in the right. Same with insurance companies. They don't care about right from wrong, it's all about winning to them, and they'll do it at any cost.

This is unrelated to busses or this accident, but gives you an idea on the character of these companies.
Comedian Says Progressive Defended Sister's Killer - Business Insider
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #44
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
The driver was finally charged, due to crossing 3 lanes of traffic to accomplish the U-turn, with 2 counts of Vehicular Homicide.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:28 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
The driver was finally charged, due to crossing 3 lanes of traffic to accomplish the U-turn, with 2 counts of Vehicular Homicide.
I don't want him to drive a bus ever again and maybe not even a car but he's 77. If he's not driving, he's not gonna be a danger to anyone. It's also possible the bad judgement was related to an age related medical/mental issue. If he were a young driver that needed to be taught a lesson and might continue to drive for decades after he served his sentence it would be different. The next exit was how far away? It's just such incredibly bad judgement.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:55 AM   #46
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
I don't want him to drive a bus ever again and maybe not even a car but he's 77. If he's not driving, he's not gonna be a danger to anyone. It's also possible the bad judgement was related to an age related medical/mental issue. If he were a young driver that needed to be taught a lesson and might continue to drive for decades after he served his sentence it would be different. The next exit was how far away? It's just such incredibly bad judgement.
Young driver wouldn't have made it out of the bus yard due to smartphone addiction.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:15 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Cat 7.2 C7 I6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 66 ankle biters
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
From the pics I highly doubt the driver survived. Even though the hit was at the rear corner, it caused the drivers seat area to twist off. The steering wheel is sticking out from the nose of the bus in the pic.
The steering wheel and the driver's seat are attached at two different locations of the bus. Looking at the steering wheel it's attached to the front part of the bus which includes the engine and separated from the passenger compartment.

The driver's seat is bolted to the floor in the passenger compartment. A driver with a seat belt on would remain in the passenger compartment while the steering wheel was pulled away from that section.
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:19 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
The steering wheel and the driver's seat are attached at two different locations of the bus. Looking at the steering wheel it's attached to the front part of the bus which includes the engine and separated from the passenger compartment.

The driver's seat is bolted to the floor in the passenger compartment. A driver with a seat belt on would remain in the passenger compartment while the steering wheel was pulled away from that section.
Which tells you the floor must have ripped in 2 behind the drivers seat, as the seat and steering wheel are in their general vicinity, while the passenger compartment is gone.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:20 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Cat 7.2 C7 I6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 66 ankle biters
Quote:
In any other type of vehicle that you would be required by law to be wearing seat belts in. I'm surprised there aren't more injuries to students due to not having them, But I guess the large size of the bus compared to what normally would run into it, the reduced speed the bus is usually traveling contribute to the lessening of injuries. The fact that so few died in this is a blessing. The driver was one of the survivors. One student and a chaperon perished.
This is one of the major reasons I bought a school bus as my RV. Safety to myself and my passengers is number 1.

When I was researching RVs I found out how poorly most RVs are constructed. Airstreams and school buses seem to be the exceptions. Take a look at the number of rivets used in the external construction of each.

If anyone would like to see how poorly constructed RVs are (and dangerous in my opinion) just do a search on YouTube of "RV accidents" to see how much damage is incurred in an accident. Some of them look like a bomb exploded in them.

Seeing this school bus accident shows how safe school buses are during an accident.
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:30 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Which tells you the floor must have ripped in 2 behind the drivers seat, as the seat and steering wheel are in their general vicinity, while the passenger compartment is gone.

the seat is with the passenger compartment.. the seat and drover seat belt are purposely mounted to the floor area BEHIND the chassis floor... most older busses with different brand chassi have a metal divider visible on your floor which is the line between chassis and body.. your seat bolts for the driver seat are always behind that.. the driver belt doesnt go to the frame under the bus, but m,ounts to the floor and then to a support near the roof-line.

the division line is most easily seen on busses with an inlimne 6 where you have a doghouse.. you can pull the doghouse and see how the floor of the body and chassis are layered..

the older busses like my carpenter dont even have that heavy of bolts on the cowl to the chassis.. its by design.. that bus did what it was supposed to do even though lives were lost..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:40 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the seat is with the passenger compartment.. the seat and drover seat belt are purposely mounted to the floor area BEHIND the chassis floor... most older busses with different brand chassi have a metal divider visible on your floor which is the line between chassis and body.. your seat bolts for the driver seat are always behind that.. the driver belt doesnt go to the frame under the bus, but m,ounts to the floor and then to a support near the roof-line.

the division line is most easily seen on busses with an inlimne 6 where you have a doghouse.. you can pull the doghouse and see how the floor of the body and chassis are layered..

the older busses like my carpenter dont even have that heavy of bolts on the cowl to the chassis.. its by design.. that bus did what it was supposed to do even though lives were lost..

-Christopher
I thought in previous pics that the drivers seat was sill with the steering column. I went back and look and see you are correct it is in the passenger compartment.
As usual, disregard anything I have to say.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:05 PM   #52
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post

Right. I know.
But being that the vehicle twisted apart RIGHT THERE it sure looks like he got lucky if survived. Or maybe not.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:11 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Quote:
Right. I know.
But being that the vehicle twisted apart RIGHT THERE it sure looks like he got lucky if survived. Or maybe not.
He did survive to do prison time, the 2 killed were in the back of the bus where it got hit.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:12 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Quote:
He did survive to do prison time, the 2 killed were in the back of the bus where it got it.
Yeah, I realize that.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #55
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Right. I know.
I read that the driver's injuries included his legs. Undoubtedly the steering wheel smacked him hard on the thighs. That must've hurt like hell...or should I say karma?

I was just recently looking at the underbelly of my bus - and its floor framing of thick steel. I never was surprised that the Jersey bus body stayed in one piece. Try that with an RV.

I'm also reminded of those Indy 500 announcers explaining how the pieces flying off the race car dissipate kinetic energy away from the driver. Just like that heavy bus chassis.
Skunky Bus is offline   Reply With Quote