Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2019, 03:29 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
One of the reasons why we build skoolies

Class A vs tree:

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
From a comment by the tower, apparently the driver fell asleep after police kicked them out of a Walmart parking lot. That couple is probably homeless now.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
That is a real bummer.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Completely gutted in 2 seconds flat. I might be talking to an attorney after the police sent me back on the road in an unsafe condition. I knew a guy in the 70's that when they instituted that mandatory helmet law that required you to wear a helmet. It didn't specify it had to be on your head, so he strapped it to his knee. He got pulled over and the LEO made him put it on his head. He left and rounded the corner and got hit and shattered his knee. He was successful in suing the PD.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:25 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have a little different attitude/opinion when it comes to insurance. Carrying full coverage and adequate liability limits on my vehicles has served me well.

I have a 25 year old travel trailer that is a toy and not worth much. That is the only vehicle that I own that does not carry full coverage on.

If I had limited resources and that trailer was my sole residence I would be looking for full coverage insurance with an "agreed value" and set the value at the cost of a very minimal replacement.

The policies are cheap. It's been a few years since I did that. IIRC: full coverage with an agreed value of $5000 my premiums were less than $20 a month.

Not much money to give you the ability to replace your rig in the event of catastrophe.

The cops running him out of the parking lot after he explained that he was too tired to drive is borderline criminal. I had a similar experience several years ago. I stopped at about 11m and was exhausted. About the time I settled into bed the cops were at the front door. They told me that I couldn't stay there. I explained that I was too tired to drive safely. The cop told me that his shift ended at 6:00am and he was going to come back just prior to the end of his shift. If I was still there when he came back that he would ticket me and (bluffing?) have my bus towed.

I set the alarm clock for 5:00am. Got four hours sleep and was on the road by 5:30am.

I think that , if I were them, I would be attorney shopping.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:22 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I knew a guy in the 70's that when they instituted that mandatory helmet law that required you to wear a helmet. It didn't specify it had to be on your head, so he strapped it to his knee. He got pulled over and the LEO made him put it on his head. He left and rounded the corner and got hit and shattered his knee. He was successful in suing the PD.
Guy sounds like a real piece of work. Too bad it was the taxpayers, & not the police, who ended up flipping the bill. Takes some nerve to sue the folks likely responsible for keeping his skull intact minutes prior. Ambulance chasers gotta eat, I guess.

As for the story at hand - which is pretty much the exact opposite - I hope the RV couple does sue, & gets paid. I wonder if the officers were acting on their own volition, or if it was a trespassing call by Walmart? Either way, you'd think that between the two they would come up with a better solution to the problem than to send them on down the road, knowing they were in no condition to drive.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:12 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
I wonder if the officers were acting on their own volition, or if it was a trespassing call by Walmart?
I wonder this, too--and if it's the latter case, I wonder where in the parking lot the poor couple decided to catch up on rest. I have noticed that quieter, emptier side lots result in more harassment than the backs of main lots.
Marceps is offline   Reply With Quote