Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #11
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 446
We need a lobbyist in Washington DC! They would have to live in a skoolie parked at the front of the Capital Building!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #12
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 237
Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
We need a lobbyist in Washington DC! They would have to live in a skoolie parked at the front of the Capital Building!
That could work but....
Why would they start listening then as appose to any other time?

I know political but it was just there calling out.
livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #13
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,143
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I think the less attention we draw to ourselves, the better.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:29 PM   #14
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 237
Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I think the less attention we draw to ourselves, the better.

I get what your speaking and understand the method. Don't get me wrong either. I don't want a bunch of more rules of what I can and can't build or how. I like my DIY.

But it does seam that more insurance companies or dropping or not excepting skoolies. And that just leaves trying to remodel the plastic RVs. No thanks. Anyway I was just asking. Seamed logical any way
livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #15
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,939
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
part of the problem with insurance are not tyhe members in this forum... fore the most part here you see conversions that are done with safety , reliability, and solidness.. even down to being concerned abouyt tires, battery gassing, tieing down large items, structural integtiy etc...

HOWEVER

there are a lot of people out there in the world doing total half-rigged sort of conversions... cheap bus bald tires, bungie strap a frig in, toss a mattress on the floor and go... nothinbg wrong with being mimialist and doing a cheap conversion.. however a rollover and stuff goes flying causing massive injury to the occupants of the bus... imagine a simple rollover where you have everyone in their seats with seartbelts on and their seats are hugh baclked and bolted in nicely.. the appliances are tied down nicely.. chances are a few scrapes and bruises and everyone walks away from a built-right school bus..

now take the medical bill if you have a frig and stove flying around along with the passengers that were on school bus seats that werent belted or were old low-back... doesnt take much to rack up a few hundred grand in medical bills for the occupants of the bus alone...

let alone a skoolie on bald tires that pops a left front steer, runs left of center and hits a minivan with a family....

school bus accidents like the one in the OP arent what causes us insurance difficulties.. Notice how if we keep our busses as busses that they are quite easy to insure.. its as soon as it becomes a "motorhome" that the insurance woes start...

notice how in Most states very little inspection is done.. sure there arew guidelines stating a coinverted motorhome must contain A/B/C depending on the state but how many are actually looked at? theres no standard set for safety by the title and license bureaus.. the insurance industry way of dealing with this fact is by not taking the risk... even though the peiople here for the most part are extra careful to build solid conversions...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:15 PM   #16
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,143
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
I get what your speaking and understand the method. Don't get me wrong either. I don't want a bunch of more rules of what I can and can't build or how. I like my DIY.

But it does seam that more insurance companies or dropping or not excepting skoolies. And that just leaves trying to remodel the plastic RVs. No thanks. Anyway I was just asking. Seamed logical any way
Hell, I couldn't get coverage AT ALL, from ANYWHERE back in 2003. Now I have two companies that will insure me.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #17
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 237
Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
part of the problem with insurance are not tyhe members in this forum... fore the most part here you see conversions that are done with safety , reliability, and solidness.. even down to being concerned abouyt tires, battery gassing, tieing down large items, structural integtiy etc...

HOWEVER

there are a lot of people out there in the world doing total half-rigged sort of conversions... cheap bus bald tires, bungie strap a frig in, toss a mattress on the floor and go... nothinbg wrong with being mimialist and doing a cheap conversion.. however a rollover and stuff goes flying causing massive injury to the occupants of the bus... imagine a simple rollover where you have everyone in their seats with seartbelts on and their seats are hugh baclked and bolted in nicely.. the appliances are tied down nicely.. chances are a few scrapes and bruises and everyone walks away from a built-right school bus..

now take the medical bill if you have a frig and stove flying around along with the passengers that were on school bus seats that werent belted or were old low-back... doesnt take much to rack up a few hundred grand in medical bills for the occupants of the bus alone...

let alone a skoolie on bald tires that pops a left front steer, runs left of center and hits a minivan with a family....

school bus accidents like the one in the OP arent what causes us insurance difficulties.. Notice how if we keep our busses as busses that they are quite easy to insure.. its as soon as it becomes a "motorhome" that the insurance woes start...

notice how in Most states very little inspection is done.. sure there arew guidelines stating a coinverted motorhome must contain A/B/C depending on the state but how many are actually looked at? theres no standard set for safety by the title and license bureaus.. the insurance industry way of dealing with this fact is by not taking the risk... even though the peiople here for the most part are extra careful to build solid conversions...

-Christopher
This is why I was asking my question. So many here have the background and skills or experience in doing a conversion and even done more than one bus. Why not work with the insurance and maybe teach or help or however that an insurance company would be happy. I have worked for companies that every so often sent us through a driver safety course or defensive driving. That helped for a discount if you will because everyone is being trained to operat the equipment not just put in the driver seat.

It was just an idea that if there was someone/ group out there that the insurance companies could recognize that they are doing what they can to make things safer maybe they would loosen up a little.

You are always going to have the type that will go 1/2 way but if people have a place or person to go to that an insurance will recognize that could make it harder for the 1/2ers to get insurance. Again I'd rather not have a bunch of rules but at the same time it would feel good knowing the bungy cord fridge or the bald tires might not pass and that's one more unsafe bus off the road.

Anyway just a thought. Good ideas and good points on hear.

By the way CB way would no one touch you in 03?
Or what's the difference from then and now. Just curious.
livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #18
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
When you talk to the insurance company does it help your chances (if you have one) if you have a CDL? Most insurance companies would like it I would think.
When I was getting a quote from AIS and my CDL came up they were very positive about it but I don't know that it influenced my rate... It may have influenced the policy acceptance though since they had me underwritten the very next day.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:25 PM   #19
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
This is why I was asking my question. So many here have the background and skills or experience in doing a conversion and even done more than one bus. Why not work with the insurance and maybe teach or help or however that an insurance company would be happy. I have worked for companies that every so often sent us through a driver safety course or defensive driving. That helped for a discount if you will because everyone is being trained to operat the equipment not just put in the driver seat.

It was just an idea that if there was someone/ group out there that the insurance companies could recognize that they are doing what they can to make things safer maybe they would loosen up a little.

You are always going to have the type that will go 1/2 way but if people have a place or person to go to that an insurance will recognize that could make it harder for the 1/2ers to get insurance. Again I'd rather not have a bunch of rules but at the same time it would feel good knowing the bungy cord fridge or the bald tires might not pass and that's one more unsafe bus off the road.

Anyway just a thought. Good ideas and good points on hear.

By the way CB way would no one touch you in 03?
Or what's the difference from then and now. Just curious.
I wonder if as a community we could develop and maintain a standard protocol for conversions, submit our conversions for quality control inspection, and thus verified possess the legitimacy in the underwriters' perception to qualify for RV insurance rates and acceptance. I don't know how that would work or even if it would work but it's a thought. At least then members of this community could realize an easier path to RV conversion.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:49 AM   #20
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,939
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Insurance is purely numbers, if on average a certain type of policy loses money then it's discontinued... Or the rates get raised so high no one buys it.

It's the same with cars.. Daewoo and daihatsu were deemed uninsurable at some point back when tgey still existed here in the USA. Also banks refused to finance them.

There's a reason why Subaru STI are so very pricey to insure.. And I doubt it's because of people like my buddy who keeps his pristine and drives it responsibly .. He still pays out the ass even though he has not made any insurance claim in 10+ years on any car..

Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.