Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2018, 06:09 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Tiny House Stolen

One of the many downsides to your house being tiny and on a trailer.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/st-louis-...her-tiny-house

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:20 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
crazy!! people.. and yet anopther reason why its important to insure the heck out of everything these days.. people are BOLD..

an acquaintence of mine was taking delivery of his brand new Dodge HellCat challenger.. the sales guy pulled it around to the front while he was inside the finance office signing his life away for a $75000 car.. sales guy left the car for less than a minute runningf with the driver door open to go inside and grab the temp tag.. a young guy ran in the lot from out of nowhere hopped in and took off... thats bold..

stealing someone's HOUSE? yeoow even bolder.. and people think im crazy because i have GPS tracking devices in the works for the bus..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:25 AM   #3
Bus Geek

My good friend Adam just had his whole work trailer with mower and tools stolen while he was home. I lost a $130 backpack sprayer in that one since I'd loaned mine to him because his last one was stolen lol.
This time of year trailers go missing. Something about xmas makes folks steal stuff.
Another thing to watch for this time of year is counterfeit money. It ends up everywhere during the holidays.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:36 AM   #4
Bus Geek

ive been ordering all my amazon stuff to be delivered at our local amazon pickup station rather than to the house.. sure i have cameras and such at my house, but reality is that 80% of the time no one recognizes the person who is on the screen, so they are only good as a deterrent from neighborhood kids.. but pro thieves are gonna go after what they want.

and some not-so-pro thieves like the dude that snagged the challenger.. brand new car with SIRIUS guardian enabled.. track the car in real time and tell the cops where to go.. dumb*** kid tries to out-run em in that 700 horsepower car.. might help to learn how to drive such a beast before stealing one... the car was damaged, the dude's in jail, and said friend has to wait while they make him another one. he'll get a 19 instead of an 18. loaded with everything.. for all his trouble..

for trailers they make nice little GPS units you can attach easily... they can be set up to charge themselves when the trailer lights are on and Geo-fenced so you get a notification on your phone when it moves a certain distance after being stopped for X amount of time.

-Christopher
Old 12-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Chris, was your buddy the guy in Houston? I saw that on the news a few months ago and was always curious how the theft happened. I was certain they had to have stolen the keys (virtually impossible to steal a new car without the keys) but didn't know why somebody would leave the keys in a 75,000 car. Your story would make sense.

Thieves suck, and the counterfeit money thing is definitely real this time of the year. I'm really starting to get tired of people, their lack of concern for others, and their carefree attitude towards consequences.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:30 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
for trailers they make nice little GPS units you can attach easily... they can be set up to charge themselves when the trailer lights are on and Geo-fenced so you get a notification on your phone when it moves a certain distance after being stopped for X amount of time.

-Christopher

I am *HIGHLY* interested! Can you make suggestions? I'd like solar charging as well, since I don't use my trailer frequently. One might even find its way onto my bus.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
...and yet anopther reason why its important to insure the heck out of everything these days...
You sound like an insurance saleman...

I agree that we all need to do our best to protect ourselves, our families, and our stuff, and that insurance plays a role in that protection, but "insur(ing) the heck out of everything"?
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #8
Bus Geek

I don't see what kind of policy would cover this type of theft. Maybe the property insurance of wherever she was keeping it.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
Bus Geek

no, I hadnt even heard about the one in houston.. the scary thing is people are figuring out ways to imitate the fob.. i never asked if the keys were with this car or it was just running via pushbutton start.. but I know on my Chevy, if I start the car and walk away from it, someone can still drive it even though the key is in my pocket.. ive not yet figured why the manufacturers allow this.. but a friend and I tried it with my malibu.. he drove away and it just dinged at him and beeped the horn once when he closed the door without the Fob in the car.. he got around the corner friom ne, turned the car off and it wouldnt restart. so the key apparently only has to be with the car to start it up
Old 12-18-2018, 10:37 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
You sound like an insurance saleman...

I agree that we all need to do our best to protect ourselves, our families, and our stuff, and that insurance plays a role in that protection, but "insur(ing) the heck out of everything"?

yes i insure everything well.. and yes i protect it too however i dont want to be oine of those poor saps crying on TV because I lost everything with no means to replace it if a bad event happens..

when my first bus.. (back from 09) burned in a fire a few years ago due to a shared garage fire.. I was well insured.. the guy who's fault the fire was.. not so much... I got enough of a payout to replace the bus and what i had in it and then enbough for some upgrades...

sure i couldve not been insured well.. and I couldve Sued the crap out of the at-fault in that fire.. and probably wouldve "won" but anyone who has ever "won" a lawsuit. realizes getting actually paid is a different story..

there are multiple levels to proecting ones property.. first off is to protect that it isnt stolen or damaged.. another level is trying to get it back if it is taken, and another level insuring it so you arent left holding the bag if something bad happens.. insurance is that level for me... i hope to never use it... I hope my bus never gets stolen, i hope no one ever hits me and totals the vehicle im driving.. or worse yet causes injury.. I hope I make a mistake and hit someone else...

and no im not an insurance salesman.. im a computer guy. FYI
-Christopher
Old 12-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
yes i insure everything well.. and no im not an insurance salesman... im a computer guy.
Christopher, I always appreciate your input and feedback. The implication here seemed to be that more insurance is (always, mostly, usually?) better.

And I was pretty sure you weren't an insurance salesman. A computer guy? Cool, it is after all a computer world...
Old 12-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #12
Almost There

Year: 2003
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
there are multiple levels to proecting ones property.. first off is to protect that it isnt stolen or damaged.. another level is trying to get it back if it is taken, and another level insuring it so you arent left holding the bag if something bad happens.. insurance is that level for me... i hope to never use it... I hope my bus never gets stolen, i hope no one ever hits me and totals the vehicle im driving.. or worse yet causes injury.. I hope I make a mistake and hit someone else...

and no im not an insurance salesman.. im a computer guy. FYI
-Christopher

I'll admit I wasn't too big on insurance or understanding the finer points of it for a good majority of my adult lifetime. Until my apartment got broken into and had a number of high value items stolen. I had renters insurance and kind of just went with what my insurance agent recommended, and boy howdy that was a good idea. Everything replaced at no charge to me, didn't affect my premium. It was definitely a good assurance. I know that when I finish up my bus conversion, I'll insure the hell out of that thing just in case (God forbid) something happens. But that won't mean I won't utilize other means of protection either. A tiny solar powered GPS unit is a WONDERFUL idea, I wonder if there'd be a good way to rig that up with an Arduino or Raspberry Pi and make it easy to replicate to share with others.
chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
You want to "DIY" a GPS + Cell "dohicky"? Just add this to an arduino:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2636

Do a little programming, and add GSM service (AT&T, TMobile). Voila....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:41 AM   #14
Almost There

Year: 2003
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
You want to "DIY" a GPS + Cell "dohicky"? Just add this to an arduino:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2636

Do a little programming, and add GSM service (AT&T, TMobile). Voila....

That's a neat little dohicky! Would just need to figure out an efficient way of powering the thing. Thanks for that link.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggins View Post
That's a neat little dohicky! Would just need to figure out an efficient way of powering the thing. Thanks for that link.

NP. Add some solar? Try these:

(Panel):https://www.adafruit.com/product/2747
(Buck-boost):https://www.adafruit.com/product/2190
(battery):https://www.adafruit.com/product/2011

I've got some smaller panels and buck-boost, but haven't tried them in combination yet. Was going to do that over Christmas.... ;) ;)
Old 12-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #16
Bus Nut

BTW, there are some other places than adafruit that have stuff like that. I've found adafruit to be, well, pricy, on a lot of their items (especially when I can get stuff from aliexpress for 1/5th of what adafruit is selling then). However, their quality and timeliness have always been excellent. Getting stuff from aliexpress is like waiting for hell to freeze over (some stuff I bought took 2 months to get to me).
Old 12-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #17
Bus Geek

MarkyDee has exactly the right idea!. in my case i use raspberry PI's for many things.. so my MikroTik router with LTE device as WAN is how i network.. everything chargeable with a micro-USB or 12 volt powered so it makes things easy to use a simple solar ipad charger or such if you dont want to build your own..

BTW i totally LOVE kraftwerk.. radioactivity (esp the re-master) is one of my favorite albums.. !

-Christopher
Old 12-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
MarkyDee has exactly the right idea!

Thank you, cadillackid! I will take that as high praise. Very kind of you, sir!
Old 12-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
BTW i totally LOVE kraftwerk.. radioactivity (esp the re-master) is one of my favorite albums.
That's crazy. I really dig Kraftwerk. Those guys must have had a time machine; incredibly ahead of their time...
Old 12-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
That's crazy. I really dig Kraftwerk. Those guys must have had a time machine; incredibly ahead of their time...
Kraftwerk!!! YESS!