Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #21
Skoolie

I got a Schoolie because I couldn't find a truck & trailer cheap enough to haul my Jeep with. I got a (small) camper to boot.

BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:43 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 idi
ECCB send it through man. I'm hoping to be on the road myself around that time. It'd be amazing to hook up with you guys. Do you have land we can all park on? That would be awesome
Greatestrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:47 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
The original intent with us was to help my son learn how to build stuff, then it was to live in full-time (which we will be doing), now it's also for my wife to be able to safely travel the US because of her health dictating she can't fly anymore.

M
Old 07-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
and ive never seen a skoolie blow over on the highway in the wind either.. ive seen 5th wheels and once a 'bounder' literally blown off the road years ago in the mountains
-Christopher
The wind can be very powerful and detrimental to vehicles. For example, a stretch of road back home in Nova Scotia is wide open to winds off the ocean. Enough wind that 18 wheelers commonly are laid over on their sides if they try and drive that stretch in the wind. I think now they have to wait until the windspeed drops to a certain level before they can cross.

Over in Newfoundland, they used to have trains running across the island. There is a spot on that line where the geography almost doubles the windspeed as the wind drops off a cliff. There have been a few boxcars and engines toppled over in that spot. How much do they weigh?
Yup, wind is frightening.
I was in my outhouse one day enjoying the view. We got the tailend of a hurricane that came from the Caribean. The wind was about 110 km/hr.
Well, didn't that outhouse blow over with me in it. Quite the experience i do say.

John
Old 07-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
My husband started talking RVing about a decade ago, I balked ... had ridden in some tacky-butt "sticks and staples" in the past and ... yeah, no.

Some of the local RV dealers would have examples, used and new, at the yearly expo/fair. The affordable ones always smelled funky. I really balked. Told the hubs a firmer "no."

Seeing a few that had crashed, caught on fire, or just wove all over the road reinforced that "no" into a "hell no."

Always thought it was too bad that RVs ... well, suck (IMO) because the idea of traveling with your home is very appealing.

A local museum several years ago had an exhibition of the history of RVs in the US - it was pretty cool. There was even a refurbished school bus from the late 60s, beautifully done, gorgeous fabrics, comfy seating. It was pretty much a tent on wheels as there was no kitchen or bathroom, but fun. Warmed me up to the idea of buses.
Then a couple years ago I saw "the bus" when the hubs started talking skoolies and I did some googling. Lovelier by far than the hippy bus, just as cozy, with amenities, too!

And a school bus, they're built like Volvos but to haul kids, not out of sticks and staples. Yes. If it rolls it may still be salvageable ... if an RV rolls at best you hold a yard sale.

Does that sums up why most of us skoolie?
UrsaLunar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
My reason for Skoolieing (?) -- Rent in this community that I call home is obscene! Even lot rental is absurd. But, Brunhilde is MINE, ALL MINE! If I decide to move, I turn the key and away I go. I've already survived two winters in her.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:53 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
and ive never seen a skoolie blow over on the highway in the wind either.. ive seen 5th wheels and once a 'bounder' literally blown off the road years ago in the mountains
-Christopher
wind that can get under any vehicle will produce lift like a airplane and help flip them over. speed is a big factor here too i drove trucks thru 70 to 90 mph wind in WY last winter saw campers and trailers without the side skirts on their side but no buses transit or school. most buses have antisway bars that help if you get caught in wind slow down and if you can park
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
wind that can get under any vehicle will produce lift like a airplane and help flip them over. speed is a big factor here too i drove trucks thru 70 to 90 mph wind in WY last winter saw campers and trailers without the side skirts on their side but no buses transit or school. most buses have antisway bars that help if you get caught in wind slow down and if you can park

I ran my DEV bus last early winter through the mountains of west virginia.. i got caught in a bit of a freak storm.. it wasnt predicted.. but the winds grew to 35-40 steady with gusts to 60.. and there was areas of black ice on the the highway.. I did exactly what you describe... I slowed down. that bus still has its school strobe on it.. so I had my hazard lights on and the skoolie strobe (im sure it was illegal.. but better to be illegal than dead).. and I took it easy.. fortunately for a change most everyone had the same idea to drive sensibly.. there were wrecks.. at one point I reached one of the turnpike service areas and just shut it down for awhile to rest.. I never really felt like my bus would blow over.. the worst moments were when I did feel the steering get Loose a few times on the ice...

that was also the time I learned I needed to hook up those other 2 heater cores i had installed when I added A/C..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #29
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
There are four primary reasons why I decided to build a skoolie.

The first being, the learning experience. I have never been a very constructive type of guy. The majority of my life has been academic and the physical aspect of my life revolved around physical confrontations through work.

The second and I hate to say it, the trend of millennials to desire debt free living. I have watched my parents pay an arm and a leg to pay for their home for the last 30+ years and given our class system and current era of income inequality, I do not want to face that same struggle for half of my life. Removing as much overhead expenses for living is ideal.

Third, freedom of movement and comfortable living. Numerous things drew me to this desire. Climate change, civil unrest, self reliance. The idea that I can load up, unplug and drive off into the sunset without abandoning a home, belongings or going without services or creature comforts is very appealing.

Fourth, again as many millennials I want to reduce my carbon footprint and reduce my negative impact upon the environment. The only difference is, I am a realist. I do not scream and preach to people that they need to change their lifestyles, block pipelines, fight for clean air and denounce the energy sources we are very dependant upon without actually, reducing or changing my own lifestyle first. I find those that do to be very hypocritical.

As, I think about it, another reason is the challenges. I am building a home on wheels and that is not easy. It is an unique adventure, an unique vehicle and a unique home overall when you take into count the statistics. I have always been an unique type of vehicle guy and I have always wanted a more unique home. A tiny home, container home, earth ship, sub terrainian, house boat all of these unusual concepts struck my fancy from an early age. Just as vehicles have, I was the only 27 year old that drove a 1968 C-10 that I knew off, I have a surplus Army Humvee now, I restored and drove a 56 dodge cab over. If, it is unusual and different than the modern plastic curved vehicles, I want it.

The skoolie is a great project and well worth the time, money, sweat, blood and tears.
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
A concern

Wind is a huge concern for us as well. Even though we are not as vulnerable as a traditional camper we are still big enough to get pushed around.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
My Skoolie came about because I was tired of the traffic in my area - I also bought my house low - short sale - and now have it for sale for close to twice what I paid - in hopes to have enough to by 10+ acres away from traffic - and build a nice cabin. I want to travel around the country a little with my dog.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_21b.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	15625
Old 09-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Our Skoolie

We got our skoolie so initially we can camp around the area with our eyes set on longer journeys later.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:04 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: International
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
My Skoolie came about because I was tired of the traffic in my area - I also bought my house low - short sale - and now have it for sale for close to twice what I paid - in hopes to have enough to by 10+ acres away from traffic - and build a nice cabin. I want to travel around the country a little with my dog.

Attachment 15625
Love the color of the bus! How does your dog like being on the bus? My two love it! Do you have a special place for yours to sleep? Or for when you are in moving?

Sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
The Dogs love the bus - so much more than traveling in a car.

Sophie has claimed the couch - but usually prefers sleeping on the floor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7073.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	15634

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
Love the color of the bus! How does your dog like being on the bus? My two love it! Do you have a special place for yours to sleep? Or for when you are in moving?

Sandi
Old 09-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Mine also love the stairs...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
I am building a skoolie because I want an RV. I can't afford an RV the same quality that I can build... And Skoolies are cool vehicles and awesome people.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:14 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

Attachment 15625
NICE!

My dog, Dixie, LOVES buses too!
SHe even managed to get IN the engine compartment of Brokedown's Vista somehow!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Quote:
The Dogs love the bus - so much more than traveling in a car.

Sophie has claimed the couch - but usually prefers sleeping on the floor.

Attachment 15634

Sophie is adorable! Can't wait to meet her!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
My experience as a professional driver: Crosswinds in which it'd be hard to keep my little Winnebago in its lane bother a 72-pass. school bus just a little. And by "hard to keep..." I mean the kind where, after driving the Winnie for a while, I feel like I've been arm wrestling!
Old 10-02-2017, 06:30 AM   #40
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Ward?
Engine: 8.2 liter ?
Rated Cap: 24 Passenger
I own a skoolie for the windows! How many RV's give you a wrap around view as you sit down to breakfast with a cup of coffee? It's all about the windows!

Ross
rossfree is offline   Reply With Quote