Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2007, 11:06 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Oh crap!!! I give up on the picture... If you need to get a better picture, just do a search for Churchill Crocodile....

oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
In one of my DUKW books they pulled a trailer that was just two giant wheels and axle. The wheels were actually giant fuel tanks. A DUKW could pull it with them both in the water and on land.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
The wheels were actually giant fuel tanks
Must've been hell to change a tire....

I never knew that, but I guess that idea went with the manual crank start jeep...
Old 02-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Oh crap!!!!

Quote:
The wheels were actually giant fuel tanks

Must've been hell to change a tire...
How did they get the fuel out of the tires?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford E-350
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
I found spring specs for that chassis that you can use to ballpark things before you get to the scales. The deflection rate on those rear springs is 894 lbs per inch. Round that to 900. Since you have two springs, it is 1800 lbs total per inch of deflection. So...time to measure. Measure the distance between the top of the spring and the frame when it's just sitting there. Then jack both sides of the rear up until the wheels are JUST touching the ground. Measure again. I bet it will have gone up atleast 3.5 or 4 inches meaning 4500 or 5400 lbs putting the load from that veggie oil dangerously close to your maximum. If it's still ok, then you might want to consider going to scales, but I still think you're running dangerously close to overloading the frame and/or axle.
Hi,

I'll try that this weekend. By the way, where did you find the specs? It would be good to have a source for information like that.

Thanks,
H.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:24 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
If you just wanted to bring the WVO with you it would make more sense to get a small trailer to pull behind the bus and put them in there where you could then transfer the WVO into the tank on the bus as you travel.
My brother actually suggested that to me a while back. It's a great idea; I was just trying to see if the on-body idea might work as well, for flexibility (if I'm towing a little travel trailer, for instance).

It's looking like three barrels on the back might simply be too much. But how about two, or maybe one? That might work.

I'll probably just go with the trailer in any case.

Thanks everyone,
H.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhclayto
It's looking like three barrels on the back might simply be too much. But how about two, or maybe one? That might work.
Although another problem would be re-routing the tail lights so as not to be obstructed by the barrels. Probably too much hassle.

H.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
[quote="rhclaytoHi,

I'll try that this weekend. By the way, where did you find the specs? It would be good to have a source for information like that.

Thanks,
H.[/quote]

One of my S.A.E. books. They have spring manual upon spring manual. I'm sure the information is available online as well.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: IHC
Engine: 9.0
Rated Cap: 76
Re: 55-gallon barrels of WVO on back of bus

I don't know about you guys but I had all kinds of room under my bus before the propanetank and water tanks, and thats where I've been thinking about putting mine. I've been wondering about a used skoolie or truck fuel tank and kinda just work it like adding an additonal tank on the side, also wvo isn't to noxious so what about storing it inside??
Old 09-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

Towing a trailer is exactly what I am intending to do with my bus and my WVO. The idea is that I would be able to haul enough WVO to make a long haul trip to somewhere like Burningman and back. That would be about six 55 gallon drums full of WVO. Plus, I'd like to haul other stuff in the trailer as well like my dirtbike, paraglider etc. So, it would probably need to be one of those dual axle trailers to haul the weight. Anyways, I will have a pump in the trailer and pump out of my 55 gallon drums up to the bus where I'll have my first WVO tank. That tank will be heated and I will pump heated WVO through filters and into a second tank which is also heated. From there, I'll pump heated WVO up to the engine. I'd like to be able to control the entire process from the drivers station and be able to do it all while driving down the road. Hopefully all I will ever have to do is get in the trailer and switch to a different 55 gallon drum. Unless.... I could have a WVO manifold with switches to let me select different barrels. Hmmmm.
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #31
Bus Geek

remember to keep it simple.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:14 AM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: Int. DT466
Rated Cap: 35

I have a burley steel rack welded to my frame that comes through the back bumper. It's important to remember that you will not be putting that weight on the bumper, only straight to the frame. And the frame can handle it. I have loaded my rack with two full barrels of veggie oil, and two dump truck tires with rims (probably too much) with no problems. The tires were a one time thing, the two full barrels are a common occurrence. I haven't noticed any difference in handling (maybe it's the length, I have a 25 footer). If you can get somebody to weld you a worthy rack, my personal experience screams go for it.
kyletheyeti is offline   Reply With Quote