Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD 6-71N
Any 6-71's on WVO?

Hi,
Is anyone running a 6-71 Detroit on WVO?
Thanks
Jerry

Jerry Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1979
Chassis: Super Coach
Engine: Detroit 6L-71 Turbo
Re: Any 6-71's on WVO?

Hey Jerry,

I just bought a 1979 Crown Super Coach with a Detroit 6-71 Turbo Diesel in it. My friends and I are diving headfirst into the Veggie Conversion. We have some good plans but are still researching...if you've found any valuable information, specific to this engine and the veggie conversion...it would be much appreciated. Look at the "Best Engine for WVO" post if you're interested in our plan.

Coop
SoulFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
Skoolie

Hi Coop,
Tomorrow I start the installation process. I,ve been collecting pieces for months.
I am trying to mount everything in the motor compartment on the passengers side. The 90 gallon aluminum tank will go under the frame in the spare tire compartment in front of the motor.
The system is a HotFox heated fuel pickup in the tank, to a Racor 1000FH heated 10 micron filter, to a 30 plate flat plat heat exchanger, to two high flow solenoid valves (double for better fuel flow) to switch between wvo and diesel, on to the pump, then thru a Vegtherm Mega Electric inline heater with a seperate on/off switch then thru the temp sensor(electric guage on the dash) then to the engine. All of the hose and fittings are Push Lock, I think that's the proper name for the stuff. Barbed fittings with no hose clamps.
The return line will go from the motor to a single high flow valve controlled by a delay timer with a site glass after the valve.
I'm going to take the coolant from the point where it leaves the head to go thru the coolant filter first to the flatplate heat exchanger then to the HotFox then return to the coolant filter. I hope to get it all done except the electrical tomorrow.
We'll see.
Good luck
Jerry
'75 Crown Coach 671 no turbo
All two strokes have Blowers.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Hey Jerry,

Wow, you're system is a lot more complicated than anything I was thinking about. My plan is to have three 55-gallon drums in the back of the bus; #1 for dirty oil right from the restaurant, #2 for what we will have filtered through a 20 micron filter with a hand pump and then #3 for what we will have filtered through a 5 micron filter, again by hand pump. From barrel #3 we will route a hose to the largest tank we are going to mount on the passenger's side, next to the transmission. This tank will have a coil on the bottom that will be heated by the coolant. We have decided to remove the stock heater in the back of the bus and re-route the lines to our tank. I know that this way we will have to wait until the engine is up to temp, but it seems like the easiest, most efficient way. We should probably put another filter between the last tank and the engine...right? Do you have two fuel pumps? One for the diesel tank and one for veggie? How do you switch back an forth between tanks?

Thanks for any advice, it's clear you've already done more research then I have.

Coop
Old 09-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
Skoolie

Well, I got most of the system in today. The tank in and All of the hoses except the coolant line from the head to the FPHE and the return fuel line. I have to go to town tomorrow and get another 6 feet of hose.
Here's the way it's suppose to work. On the dash I have two gauges and two switches. One guage is the fuel level in the WVO tank, the other guage is a temp guage to tell me the temp of the fuel right before it goes into the engine. One switch switches the electronic valves to switch from diesel to WVO and turns on the delay timer to delay the switching of the return lines for so many seconds until the fuel gets thru the motor and valve and almost back to the tank. The other switch controls the inline electric heater to bring the oil up to temp in colder weather. I can turn it on if I need extra heat.
I have only one fuel pump.
You need a heated filter (coolant or electric) between the tank and the motor. Remember if the oil is not hot when it gets to the motor it WILL screw up your motor. There are as many ways to do this as there are people doing it just do a little research and you'll find the best way for you.
Let me know if I can help.
Jerry
Old 09-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for all the info man, you seem pretty well researched about Veggie Oil and your system seems sound. Maybe you can help me out here...

What kind of hose are you using? Is Viton a good idea?

Are your electronic fuel switching valves in one unit that you just spliced into the original diesel fuel lines? What is it called?

If I run a coolant-heated filter, what's the ideal temperature of the coolant to keep the Veggie Oil up to temp?

Any other suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks man.

Best of luck!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
Skoolie

Hi Coop,
I haven't been here for a few days.
You know, I'm thinking if you would like to get this done (like me) Then we need to have a phone call or a visit. There is too much territory to cover. I can't tell you what to do but I can tell you what I've learned in the last two years of trying to figure it out.
What do you think?
Jerry
Old 09-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Hey Jerry,

My buddy and I would love to meet up and talk. Really busy lately...going to Herdly Strictly Bluegrass Festival soon and getting ready for it...if you give me your number I can call you as soon as I'm free, possibly next weekend?

Coop