Old 10-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #1

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Centrifuge for Veggie Oil System

Hey Skoolies,

I have a 2002 International 30 Seat Schoolbus that's been converted into a motor home. I'm running it off of veggie oil now. Right now I've got two oil drums in the back (which also takes up a lot of space). One is a reservoir tank - dirty oil goes in there. Then I filter it through bags, which filter to 60 microns. Before it hits the injectors, it goes through a Racor (with a 30 micron filter in it) and then a Veggie Max filter, which takes it down to 10. My friend built the system, and it works well when you know what you're doing. I'm getting real sick of filtering with bags and buckets, though, and I'm thinking it might be about time to upgrade to a centrifuge system. Is there anyone who can give me some advice about this? I heard that the Spinner II would be a good choice...

Thanks!
Mooncalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncalf View Post
Hey Skoolies,

Is there anyone who can give me some advice about this? I heard that the Spinner II would be a good choice...

Thanks!
Gotta ask- that filter routine sounds like serious work- does it smell funky in there?

I say get some big totes and fill ''em up w. your black gold and let them settle-out. Decant them into a snifter mostly filtered already.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 IDI
Rated Cap: 14
I use a centrifuge from PA Biodiesel. Its a pressure driven 55gph unit that requires an external pump. We use an old power steering pump belt driven from a 110v 1/3hp motor to supply the 'fuge with 90psi. 48hrs per 55g batch of used motor oil.

Now... I know nothing of veggie oil... but the centrifuge is a good one.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Veggie oil WILL eventually take out your fuel injection distributor pump. It's not the contaminants that will do it, but the residual water. You can filter that oil until the cows come home. It will not make any difference on the molecular level. Once water is introduced to the oil the only way to get rid of it is to boil the oil. Filtration will never get the job done. A centrifuge will help the process somewhat, but not completely. Some water will remain trapped within the oil molecules.

There's a build on Steel Soldiers that went through the same thing with the above results. Left the guy stranded out in the middle of nowhere, in need of help. He had to replace a VERY expensive fuel injection distributor pump. He immediately stopped using veggie oil and went back to dinosaur guts. After watching that endeavor unfold, I was convinced to never use veggie oil for any of my vehicles ever.

Good luck with the bus. And, as you have stated yourself, that system sucks up ALOT of space that may be better used for other things.

For what it's worth.

M
Old 11-24-2017, 10:29 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Well, I can agree on problems with wvo. We have made several around country trips and pick fuel up from restaurant along the road. We skim, settle and filter on the road but manage to wear out the 7.3 idi distribution pump twice in 15000 miles. They are $50 to $150 at the junkyard and after you replace them a first time it will go real easy. We have Vans and it is little bugger but like I said the second / third time it is a couple of hours. Be sure you have your spares tested before you replace them.

Nevertheless it is clear that the distribution style pumps are not very rugged for this use. Our 7.3 power stroke and inline mercedes pumps are much hardier and have yet to show problems.

We bought the IDI as a follow up to the powerstroke in the hope that all mechanical would be better but that has proven to be a faulty argument for WVO use with our on the road filter technology.

IMO the essence lays in that the distribution pump has two ( really1) pumping element for 8 cylinders and the powertroke 8 so the wear on the distribution pump will be 4 to 8 times as fast.

At home we use settling, heat ,settling, electric driven centrifuge and then a filter but on the road that is all a little complicated.

Just travel with a couple of spare pumps will keep you in business.
be aware of the first slug of cold thick veggy that can shear your main pump shaft. Do change fuel at low or idle rpm to reduce the viscosity and thermal shock on the pump.
First indication will be the infamous failed hot soak start.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centrifuge, filtering, spinner ii, veggie oil, wvo