Old 02-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
Bus Crazy
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Cheap alternatives to greasel

Originally Posted by Alex
...Hose - look around for the cheap stuff. I got some ok looking 3/8" ID rubber fuel line from Ace hardware - about $0.90 a foot. It seems ok but time will tell. I am looking into solid plastic tubing like pex or similar as that is usually about $0.35 per foot in 3/8" ID. Lowes may also have some cheap hose...
Most problems I've encountered in my 4 years of running grease had to do with hose failure. I've tried many different types of hose/tubing. I would not buy cheap hose. The heated veggie oil will cause most black rubber hose to melt and any translucent (nylon, urethane, tygon, etc.) hose to harden, crack, and ultimately fail. What I have settled on is using translucent pex tubing for long runs and R39 fuel injection hose for everything else. Of course Viton hose is the best, but is very expensive. I've been using the R39 for a year or so, and no problems yet. It is supposed to be biodiesel compatible. I've been using opaque pex for 4 years and translucent pex for about a year all with no problems. The translucent pex allows you to see if any air is getting in to the system, which is very handy for troubleshooting. I should qualify my comments by saying that I've also been running biodiesel through some of these hoses and that may have contributed to the deterioration of the hoses. I'm not sure if straight veg oil is as harsh on hoses as biodiesel.
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
Year: 1989
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: bosch
Rated Cap: 20
Re: Cheap(est) Way to Convert Bus to Veggie Oil?

We have been working on our bus for 8 months (almost done), and working as cheaply as possible, and we have already spent about $1000, between the tanks, hoses, heaters, etc. We went to junk yards to find most of it, and we know the owner of an auto parts store and get a big discount, but all the parts add up!
BootsBus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote