Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Re: diesel engine injectors for svo?

wow, that's good to know. but when you say condition, what exactly do you mean?

Old 03-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

wow, that's good to know. but when you say condition, what exactly do you mean?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:05 AM   #23
Skoolie

By condition I mean the tips mainly. After time they wear down and for one don't spray the fuel as well and two apparently the tips begin to hang open or stick closed. Apperently one of mine stuck close when it expanded from being hot and thant's what caused a bunch of other problems for me. I get my injectors back on Monday and when I put them in I will see if I can feel the difference.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
I guess I fail to see how you would return veggie to the diesel tank.

1. Start up with return and supply to diesel
2. Switch return and supply to veggie when warm
3. Switch supply to diesel, purge lines, shut down, and switch return to diesel.

Unless you switched the return immediately to diesel when you're purging there is no way you would get veggie in the diesel. Sure, you'd get diesel in the veggie, but a gallon shouldn't matter. Your tank is never going to be that full (or rather shouldn't be from a safety standpoint). Even if you did get some veggie in the diesel...like I said before, diesel is one hell of a solvent and you would never know the veggie was in there unless you really pumped it in there which isn't a possibility since it would just be the remainder in the lines when you purged at shut down.
unless you're using veggie in the winter, which from my expierence here in the north just isn't worth the effort....If it's warm out, I woulnd't worry about a gallon or 5 of veggie oil in your diesel tank. When it's warm out in the summer i sometimes dump svo into my diesel tank. On long trips when everythign is warmed up, i've put svo directly into my diesel tank up to 50% and had no problems. I always run a tank or 2 of just plain diesel through the system near the end of the trip to flush things out.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

when i was doing my experiments last winter/spring in north florida, i could start the 2.4 litre diesel in the mercedes
in 39 degrees in the morning with str-8 veggie oil from the fish fry trailer mixed with whatever petro diesel was left over in the tank, no block heater or anything. fired right up. i was inspired to try this after watching some guy in germany do it in a jetta on youtube.
during my last tour i ran straight veggie oil when i needed to and even stopped filtering it through socks and stuff, just eyeballing it as i poured it in and taking the clearest only, a few gallons at a time, and returning the dregs to the bin.
i told a friend/mechanic this in nederland colorado, which is at ablout 9,000', and he said just not to do it all the time.
with the exception of losing power on a hill in georgia and pulling over, removing the main filter and banging it on the side of the road and replacing it, i never had any problems, even with the partially hydrogenated stuff. admittedly, i ran mostly petrodiesel though.
i'm thinking of doing this again now that i have the bus especially since fuel is now over $4 a gallon, and i'm getting about 5mpg instead of almost 30. but the benz had a cool manual hand primer built into the motor for on the fly filter change, making the banging the filter and replacing it relatively simple. but my old suburban
had an alison 6.2 and sometimes we had to bleed the system by opening a valve on the firewall and cranking the engine a few times, done with two of us. anyone know about priming an 8.2 liter?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

when i was doing my experiments last winter/spring in north florida, i could start the 2.4 litre diesel in the mercedes
in 39 degrees in the morning with str-8 veggie oil from the fish fry trailer mixed with whatever petro diesel was left over in the tank, no block heater or anything. fired right up. i was inspired to try this after watching some guy in germany do it in a jetta on youtube.
during my last tour i ran straight veggie oil when i needed to and even stopped filtering it through socks and stuff, just eyeballing it as i poured it in and taking the clearest only, a few gallons at a time, and returning the dregs to the bin.
i told a friend/mechanic this in nederland colorado, which is at ablout 9,000', and he said just not to do it all the time.
with the exception of losing power on a hill in georgia and pulling over, removing the main filter and banging it on the side of the road and replacing it, i never had any problems, even with the partially hydrogenated stuff. admittedly, i ran mostly petrodiesel though.
i'm thinking of doing this again now that i have the bus especially since fuel is now over $4 a gallon, and i'm getting about 5mpg instead of almost 30. but the benz had a cool manual hand primer built into the motor for on the fly filter change, making the banging the filter and replacing it relatively simple. but my old suburban
had an alison 6.2 and sometimes we had to bleed the system by opening a valve on the firewall and cranking the engine a few times, done with two of us. anyone know about priming an 8.2 liter?
Old 10-12-2008, 07:49 PM   #27

Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancarrigan
thanks. obvious it seems, i never thought of that - bigger holes. i also read your thread on the impracticability of full time operation on wvo.
my second (rookie) question is: can't the two different liquids, dino-"d" and wvo can go straight into the motor, why can't they go in the same tank, albeit one being prefiltered, even within certain proportion limits if required - i.e. 80/20? this would really simplify the whole thing and even provision for scarcity of reclaimable fuel/funds. when i started my mb on biofuel, i "broke in" the system by running increasing amounts of biodiesel, starting with 20%, and eventually 99% after a few weeks. why not with wvo too?
djc
Injectors will not have bigger holes. Holes have to be small to create spray patterns. Bore might be bigger but spray nozzle will still be small. You can get different injectors that have speial nozzles that produce a different pattern that allows for gelled fuel. Note this is not dirty fuel, but cold and gelled. Dirty fuel will and always should clog up your fuel filter. Prefilter your veggie oil always.
votecoffee is offline   Reply With Quote